PDA

View Full Version : SSD: Patriot Warp v2 128GB

bigbossman
02-12-2010, 01:04 AM
I do have a few comments about this ssd drive.

1. This drive is still available in computer stores as of 01/10/2010.

2. Company support of drive caching programs for Windows XP would be nice. For instance, if Patriot Memory was to release software and/or back a program like "Flashfire: SSD Accelerator", I would be happier with my purchase.

3. Why did this drive not come with some sort caching? Surely, it was tested on Windows XP. How much more would the drive had cost to make with caching? I have done all the reasonable tweaks, and it does perform better. The studder problem is still there. Running flashfire works without studdering until the 64MB cache is full. If I could, I would bump the cache up to 512MB, but it does not support that right now.

4. Finally, would Windows 7 be the catch all to fixing this problem, or should I shell out 1K for 120GB SLC?

Thank You

bigbossman

bigbossman
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM

1. This drive is still available in computer stores as of 01/10/2010.

2. Company support of drive caching programs for Windows XP would be nice. For instance, if Patriot Memory was to release software and/or back a program like "Flashfire: SSD Accelerator", I would be happier with my purchase.

3. Why did this drive not come with some sort caching? Surely, it was tested on Windows XP. How much more would the drive had cost to make with caching? I have done all the reasonable tweaks, and it does perform better. The studder problem is still there. Running flashfire works without studdering until the 64MB cache is full. If I could, I would bump the cache up to 512MB, but it does not support that right now.

4. Finally, would Windows 7 be the catch all to fixing this problem, or should I shell out 1K for 120GB SLC?

Thank You

bigbossman

Btw, I meant to say the drive is still available as of 02/10/2010.

Thank You

bigbossman

Patriot_Ben
02-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Thank You

bigbossman

Hi bigbossman,

To answer your questions...

3. The drive was an older version of our ssd's. At the time cached-ssd's weren't available yet.

4. Technically Windows 7 is better suited for ssd's, however without the cache or trim support you might get an occasional hiccup here or there.

polardjohn
04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
This drive comes in a variety of sizes and prices which should suit nearly everyone's needs quite well. Our drive is the 128GB model but the differences in speed and performance between the 32, 64 and 128 models should be minimal at best, so if you are interested in a small, cheap and fast drive for your netbook or notebook these drives may just be right up your alley; or at least that is the design goal of the V2s anyways.