PDA

View Full Version : PBO Alpine Audio Video Output Connector Possible issue + fix

snappy46
05-26-2012, 01:40 AM
First off just to clarify things despite the fact that some player might have this port labelled as Audio Out it is in fact an Audio/video port. Now that we have this out of the way like many other people I had some issues when trying to connect the Audio/video port to my TV. I had ground issues; waving picture, sound cutting in and out etc... At the time I assumed that I had a cable with the wrong connector.

I finally decided to look into the matter a little better because of all the other complaint I seen on this forum even though I do not use that output .... I use HDMI. Anyhow once I connected my connector back on with the PBO Alpine open; I noticed that the connector did not seem to go far enough. Upon closer inspection I suspected that the thickness of the PBO Alpine case might cause the problem so I decided to remove the board out of the PBO and to try without the case in the way. As soon as I did that everything when well; therefore the thickness of the PBO Alpine and the size of the hole where the connector is located is definitely an issue (At least for me).

If you look at the attached picture you can see the connector stopper indicated by the Blue arrows. Despite the extra length at the end of the plug on the board (see red arrow) the connector still can not go all the way thru because of the thickness of the PBO Alpine case. Once I drill a hole slightly bigger than the gap indicated by the two blue arrows I was able to connect my connector properly.

To conclude I believe that many people have or will end up with the same problem I had. The connector I used to connect to the PBO is a standard 1/8 A/V connector that came with my old portable DVD player. There are very common but as I already indicated there might be an issue with getting the connector all the way in.

Now all that being said doing what I just did will definitely void your warranty so I do not suggest you attempt the same unless you don't care about your warranty and have some skill with that kind of stuff.

Patriot could you look into this issue; I think you will find that many connector won't fit because of the thickness of the case ???? I don't know please investigate.

Thank you.

Snappy

robynb1
05-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Thank You Snappy for your awsum post. I just tried this on mine and I actually got some video although still full of static. Instead of modifying the case though I would recommend taking an xacto knife to the cable instead (this is what I did with mine). I also noticed that Patriot seems to have used a different pin out then my cables I had to use the white plug for video which is normally for audio.

snappy46
05-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Thank You Snappy for your awsum post. I just tried this on mine and I actually got some video although still full of static. Instead of modifying the case though I would recommend taking an xacto knife to the cable instead (this is what I did with mine). I also noticed that Patriot seems to have used a different pin out then my cables I had to use the white plug for video which is normally for audio.

Good idea modifying your cable is definitely the best way to go. By the way the Standard color match just like they should on the cable that I am using; "Yellow = video, white and red for the audio.

Cheers!!!

Patriot_Ben
05-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks Snappy.

We have indeed been looking into the issue.

The cable itself, is very specific and we are trying to source these cables for existing units.

For standard 1/8 jacks, we are working on retrofitting the units so that any typical a/v to aux cable will work.

robynb1
06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
any word yet on when you will be able to get the cables?

psaul41
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
I just got my new Alpine and with the AV cable I have the only jack that has sound is the yellow one, nothing for the white or red.
Why would this be different than a normal AV jack?
If there is a specific cable that is needed what is it?
I like the player but use the AV jack to run the sound to my stereo and neeed this as my LCD TV only has an optical out.
I am using my WD player for now but it is going, and am using the AV cable from that unit which works fine on the WD, but not the Alpine.
Any help would be appreciated, I have already contacted NCIX on this and hopefully we can resolve this.

Thanks

snappy46
08-26-2012, 01:12 PM
I just got my new Alpine and with the AV cable I have the only jack that has sound is the yellow one, nothing for the white or red.
Why would this be different than a normal AV jack?
If there is a specific cable that is needed what is it?
I like the player but use the AV jack to run the sound to my stereo and neeed this as my LCD TV only has an optical out.
I am using my WD player for now but it is going, and am using the AV cable from that unit which works fine on the WD, but not the Alpine.
Any help would be appreciated, I have already contacted NCIX on this and hopefully we can resolve this.

Thanks

All the answers to your questions have been answered in the first post. You should get video on the yellow connector not audio. The reason you get audio is because the connector is not push all the way and you won't be able to because of the poor design unless you make the hole ovn the PBO bigger or cut some plastic off your current connector cable.

Snappy.

psaul41
08-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I had made the hole bigger, only to find the same, took unit apart again and inserted the jack, same thing, only audio on the yellow, this is the jack that I got with the WD Live unit and tried other jacks, am sending the unit back to NCIX and getyting another one, hopefully this one will work. Thanks