View Full Version : Is it possible?

Meat Juice
07-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello,

I purchased the following:

Patriot Alpine PCMPBOA
Patriot WI-FI PCBOWAU2-N
Netgear WNDR4500 router

I run Windows 7 HP x64 and have lots of videos on x12/2tb HDDs. The vast majority are either the mkv, wmv or m2ts format. I had hoped to stream the movies over WiFi from my PC/router to the Alpine/bedroom TV (some 25 feet away within line of site).

I've run in to all sorts of issues attempting this configuration. I have managed to:

-Establish a poor internet connection with the Alpine
-SAMBA see's my PC but I can't access it (unknown login info for network shares)

That aside and before I put anymore time into this, is it even possible to accomplish what I've outlined above? That is to browse/watch my movie collection on the PC via the Alpine streamed by a wireless router?

Thank you in advance,

MJ

snappy46
07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
In a nut shell what you are proposing is possible and should be easy to setup; unfortunately sharing with Win7 seems to be an issue with many people. I basically do the same as what you are saying except that I use my Network Attached Store (NAS) to do this. I am a Linux user so my experience is somewhat limited when it comes to Win7 network sharing. I suggest you look thru the PBO Alpine Network thread for some ideas; unfortunately from what I can tell no one yet has come up with the perfect solution to win7 sharing issues. Hopefully someone will post a how to share PBO Alpine to Win7 soon.

Sorry that's all I got for now.

Snappy

Meat Juice
07-11-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the reply snappy.

Count me in as a user struggling to make Windows 7 network sharing work. I'm more than a little surprised that Patriot has nothing to do with the software end. Not what I had anticipated prior to purchase. This hardware strikes me as something for enthusiasts only. Given the number of Windows users and the amount of time the Alpine has been out I'm also surprised no one has posted anything related to configuring this kind of setup. Just might have to be me if I can get over the steep learning curve.

MJ

snappy46
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reply snappy.

Count me in as a user struggling to make Windows 7 network sharing work. I'm more than a little surprised that Patriot has nothing to do with the software end. Not what I had anticipated prior to purchase. This hardware strikes me as something for enthusiasts only. Given the number of Windows users and the amount of time the Alpine has been out I'm also surprised no one has posted anything related to configuring this kind of setup. Just might have to be me if I can get over the steep learning curve.

Just as a side note the issues with regards to win7 with the PBO Alpine are very similar to be issues that the user have with the PBO Core. You might find the answer you are looking to fix your problem with win7 in this thread: http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?2080-connect-to-Windows-7-PC-w-o-login-work-around

Good luck.

Snappy

pageauc
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
I agree with Snappy's reply. I have Win 7 64, XP 32, Vista 32, Ubuntu 32/64, computers, xbox, Patriot Core, Patriot Alpine, various Buffalo Media Players along with a Buffalo Terastation and several shared printers, magicjack, etc. The Patriot Core is the main living room media player with two multi TB USB drives (backup copy) attached and this media is available on the network if required. I love my Patriot Core with 70R2 firmware and highly recommend it. My tech challenged wife has no problems with the core and I often come in and find her watching a movie that she pulled up on the Patriot Core by herself. I would like to see the Alpine equal to and better than the Core but not sure if the new firmware coming down the pipe is up to the task. I updated the Alpine remote with the Core remote via Patriot support request.

The Buffalo Terastation is the main share point on the network but I also have shares on my Win7 64 machine as well as a Vista Laptop and several XP computers. All of these work with each other on the network over mostly wired and some wireless connections. I have Serviio running on Windows 7 Machine for transcoding/streaming HD media to Buffalo media player that connot decode MKV and MP4 files and Air Video Server on my Vista laptop for transcoding/steaming to my IPOD touch (media comes across network from Terastation).

You should do all the items in the Snappy thread reference above for Win7 to play nice on the network. Also make sure all windows machines have a user login account (can be made to autologin). Make sure you are not using windows 7 MS Home networking but rather make sure all your computers and devices are using/configured for normal WORKGROUP network sharing. All computers/device configurations that have a workgroup setting need to have the same workgroup name. I use the name WORKGROUP. Another issue is to make sure you do not have older/not up-to-date windows computers that might become the network master browser. This can cause endless problems with netbios device name resolution. When turned on, my Patriot Core usually ends up becoming the master browser for some reason but no issues with it unless it gets overloaded with network traffic like copying new media to it.

Networking can be a daunting issue if things go wrong. Sometimes a simple power spike can put some devices in stupid mode where they might be able to receive and not send data or vise versa. When in doubt reboot computers/devices. The other issue may be older hardware especially wireless that does not play nice with faster wireless protocols devices and computers. Wherever possible use a network switch and hard wire as many computers/devices as possible. Make sure the wireless router is fairly new and fast. Avoid hardware that does not give you complete control of your equipment. I recommend you don't try to use a router as a network switch since some of them make very poor laggy switches, especially when busy. Learn how to configure the Router settings and that DHCP has a large enough range for your network needs. I have had other routers but now have a DLink game lounge router with a 24 port gig network switch and belkin router setup as a hot spot. Make sure the wireless access point is mounted as high in the house as possible. Down the basement with ducting, wiring, piping etc is a poor location. I have setup my router with DHCP reserves for most of my computers/devices to ensure my device IP addresses stay the same on the network. Try not to manually configure IP addresses since it is very easy to make a small typo for gateway, subnet mask, IP Address, DNS, etc. settings.

Anyway the good news is that there are some good internet resources available if you can wrap your head around the terminology and the fact that each device and operating system gets setup differently via a GUI/WEB or command line interface. When trouble shooting turn off all non essential computers and devices and progressively add each computer/device until a problem occurs. That will probably be the problem. Check that network cabling is plugged and snapped in securely (no broken clips)

Good luck

Meat Juice
07-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Thank you both for your time and thoughtful replies. I certainly have a lot on my plate to chew on. The day after tomorrow I'm off and plan to spend a few days working the problems with a fresh approach and renewed vigor. I'll go through all the information you've both provided and while there's definitely a mountain of learning ahead I already feel as though I have a better sense of direction. I'll likely start with a fresh install of the OS to eliminate any related tweaks I've inadvertently done since my last install.

Appreciative of the guidance,

MJ

Meat Juice
07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
Having followed Snappy's link to a thread I've enjoyed some success in resolving the above noted problems. I am now able to see all the HDDs I'm sharing on the PC without having to login. There was definitely a wave of excitement all be it short lived. When I try to access one of the HDDs a window appears stating, "Error Out of Memory". Happens on any disk I try to access.

I plugged in a 32gb/fat32 USB thumb drive into the back of the Alpine but this did not help. The SD card I'm using is a 256mb card out of an old camera. Would upgrading this help?

I wouldn't think so as I would not expect the Alpine to be writing to memory but simply passing it through some codecs to the TV. That said I don't really know so the question remains.

Finally I was able to stream some video using the router's Ready Share function. Not a viable solution as it's limited to one HDD via a USB port. It did however satisfied an immediate need for some sense of success though. It was beautiful to see some video on the TV originating from the other room. Anyway the video was a tad choppy. Lots of stuff I can look at courtesy of Pageauc's post but prior to doing that I'm wondering if having not installed the Patriot PCBOWAU2-N wifi driver on the Alpine is an issue. I looked in the driver disc's directory and found Linux drivers and tried to install them on the Alpine in much the same way I installed Samba but it did not work. I guess I just assumed the wifi drivers would be part of the Alpine's firmware as the webpage at point of sale says the PCBOWAU2-N works with the Alpine.

While this unit is definitely not plug and play it is somewhat satisfying to work through the problems. While I'm quick to shit on Patriot this process does afford a better understanding of the hardware. And to that end my ignorance of networking is probably half the problem.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions related to the above are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

MJ

Meat Juice
07-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Perhaps I should focus on one question and re-frame it in an effort to get feedback.

I receive the following when I try to access disks on my computer via Alpine, "Error Out Of Memory". This problem is referenced in another thread here:

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?8561-quot-Out-of-Memory-quot-Error-with-new-PBO-Alpine&highlight=error+memory+alpine

The question related to this error was not addressed.

I read most every post on the Alpine forum without success. The only other reference I could find on the web was here:

http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2499871

While the poster of this link enjoyed success it did absolutely nothing for me.

In an effort to be less wordy and determine if I'm in no man's land I simply ask:

Is this a known issue and if so is Patriot working on a fix?

Thank you,

Meat Juice

Meat Juice
08-01-2012, 05:15 PM
FYI, I've resolved the above noted issue by re-installing Windows. Choppy video is the dominant issue at this time. I suspect it's related to Windows too rather than a wifi issue.

Meat Juice
08-05-2012, 11:41 PM
My claim above was premature as after a reboot I was unable to connect to any of the network shares via wireless.

I've decided to return the device and associated hardware as I'm nearing the return end date. After nearly 30 days of trial and error I was not once able to play a 720 or 1080p video.

My experience of the Alpine reflects poorly on Patriot. Granted Windows may be at partial fault for their bone headed networking scheme. But Patriot has released a product with immature firmware that does not simply plug and play. It's a laborious process with poor to moderate results when working with Windows 7. During a month of research I've found an extraordinarily large number of people who have experienced similar problems with their Alpines too.

Looking forward I suggest Patriot develops software that allows for relatively seamless integration with Windows 7. A company that had effective leadership and vision would of done so BEFORE releasing the hardware. Likewise with the half baked firmware. It's left a frustrating and bitter taste in my mouth and I'm not likely to buy from them again.

To Snappy who on several occasions responded to my posts in an effort to help I thank you again. I've gathered you do not work for Patriot. I found you provided more knowledgeable and timely guidance than that of Patriot support.

Marj
08-06-2012, 02:23 AM
I suggest you use TVersity to stream media. I have a PBO Core and I just bought the Alpine to play around with it. Both work just fine with tversity. You'll want to make sure you have the latest codec pack installed on windows (I use klite mega codec pack) and in tversity you'll want to turn off transcoding, and then you should be good to go for video streaming...

Marj

Meat Juice
08-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Marj you've certainly given me pause for thought. I re-boxed all the equipment tonight but I guess it's worth one last kick at the can before I start throwing money at something like a Popcorn C-300. I appreciate the tip. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks,

MJ

Meat Juice
08-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Marj your suggestion has worked wonderfully. Thank you! I'm able to access all of my media via the Alpine. Painless installation. 720 and in particular 1080p video remains unwatchable though. Too choppy. I spent the morning tweaking router and Windows settings to no avail. Wikidot suggests this unit is sub par for HD wifi streaming. I'm wondering if you use a wireless connection or ethernet? The router I'm using is reportedly very good at HD streaming. Its maybe 20' in line of site from the Alpine.

lordmayo
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Wikidot suggests this unit is sub par for HD wifi streaming. I'm wondering if you use a wireless connection or ethernet?

hi Meat Juice I'm running the linux equivalent of tversity which is Media Tomb. when i play using mediatomb (ethernet connection, so it isn't chopping) i find that my fastforward is limited to only 2X intead of the customary max of 64X. i wonder what your experience is there?

Marj
08-07-2012, 11:06 PM
MJ:

I'm glad to hear that my suggestions helped! So, for your wireless speed's here's a few thoughts. First and foremost, in the tversity settings, make sure transcoding is turned off (you'll find this under setting, transcoder, and pick "never"). I say this because tversity doesn't currently know that it is streaming to the alpine (too new). It thinks it's streaming to a generic media player and a 1080P title (especially if it had some form of HD audio embedded in it) will get transcoded and it will kill the streaming performance. Choppy even on my hard line wired connection. It's really a computer prob once we're transcoding.

With all that said, I looked up your gear and a reviewer claimed that the 2.4GHz performance of the netgear was subpar. I'd check for a firmware update of the netgear or try setting it to 5GHz just as a comparison.

And please tell me if you can only get 2x fast forward like lordmayo and I. It seems logical that yours would do the same thing, and this plus a "go to" feature would be (in my opinion) 2 critical things that need to get fixed in a firmware update asap. I think if we could get that (plus maybe streaming long titles) we'd have a real product here.

I've got a good feeling though that we're one firmware flash away from being very very happy!!! :)

Marj

lordmayo
08-08-2012, 12:09 AM
And please tell me if you can only get 2x fast forward like lordmayo and I...
I've got a good feeling though that we're one firmware flash away from being very very happy!!! :)

Marj

marj - gotta tell ya that the 2x thing makes me not too much of a upnp fan at the moment. so you're saying the 2x thing is on the alpine side? but i'll take that back because i've used upnp to stream my music collection off my linux box to the tv then to my stereo so that's been pret-tee cool i must say.

snappy46
08-08-2012, 01:01 AM
marj - gotta tell ya that the 2x thing makes me not too much of a upnp fan at the moment. so you're saying the 2x thing is on the alpine side? but i'll take that back because i've used upnp to stream my music collection off my linux box to the tv then to my stereo so that's been pret-tee cool i must say.

I can confirm that UPNP and YouTube app (streaming) is limited to X2 forward speed. It would appear than when the video player service detect streaming video it limits forward speed to X2. This seem to have been intented by design although I have not idea exactly why???? Prevent crash??? I just don't know???

Cheers!!!

Marj
08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Limited by design??? That's laughable! I sure hope that the firmware writers reconsider that decision, I mean it make the device unworkable as anything more then a usb or sd card video player.

The PBO Core has the full suite of fast forward options and a "go to" feature as well (all via upnp) which i think is really a basic need for a video player. I'll add that even my ps3 has the full suite of ff functionality and a quick brows feature too.

Anyway, let's add this to the list of must fix items, please...

thanks,
Marj

lordmayo
08-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Limited by design??? That's laughable!

The PBO Core has the full suite of fast forward options and...

i've lost count the amount of times i've read here that the Core has this and that functionality. one would think if you're upgrading you would use your previous product as the baseline. how can you introduce a new product that doesn't have the basic features of its replacement?? really the alpine unit has fallen short in quite a few respects... if the functionality is out there as marj stated it's almost a matter of copy-paste to implement it.

Meat Juice
08-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I'm limited to x2 ff. I thought this might be a limitation of my SD card until I read above. The review you read about my router has me scratching my head as the reviews I read prior to purchase said the device chewed up HD. I've yet to read anyone who is streaming 1080p wirelessly so I'm suspicious of the Alpine's receiver. I've got an Apple Airport Extreme in the closet. I'll try it this weekend. My 30 day return date expired today so I'm not eager to eat $170 for the Netgear. I was also thinking of trying a different WiFi stick seeing they're cheap. I'll let you know.

Asked a lady at work today if she bought the Alpine she was discussing the week previously. She said her husbands friend gave them a Core. I shared my experience with her and expressed how fortunate she was.