Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Default Windows 8

So I have spent a whole night trying to fix Windows 8 sharing.
    And no luck.
    What is the trick. I have tried everything on the site...
    I do not want to g back to Windows 7

Same here! What is the deal with Windows 8? I too did all the registry tweaks and settings and still no login. My brother said he could connect without any problems to his PC with his Apple TV, why are things so difficult with the PBO?

J

OK, I adjusted all the settings as per the Win 7 instructions including the registry edits. UPNP now works but I still get "login failed" when trying to go through the NET. Very odd....

I am having the exact same issue. I did everything as per the WIN 7 instructions and the registry setting. If I repeatedly try logging in, it eventually logs in. I am able to watch a movie, but as soon as I get out of the drive, it automatically gives me the login fail again. I have a Boxee Box, and it has no problems what so ever with working with Win 8. I really like my patriot, but they really need to fix this issue. I'm hoping for a much needed update soon!!!

gpedit.msc -> Computer configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously

Do not enter the whole share path. In my case the share is \\Josh-Envy\Downloads
    I added Downloads

Close gpedit
    Open cmd prompt
    Type gpupdate /force

Connect to your windows 8 computer!

You probably need all of the other registry tweaks as well.
    And also ensure you have added Everyone with read permissions to your share.

Quote Originally Posted by redilyn View Post
    gpedit.msc -> Computer configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously

Do not enter the whole share path. In my case the share is \\Josh-Envy\Downloads
    I added Downloads

Close gpedit
    Open cmd prompt
    Type gpupdate /force

Connect to your windows 8 computer!

You probably need all of the other registry tweaks as well.
    And also ensure you have added Everyone with read permissions to your share.
    I got this to work doing this GPedit and the registry edits. However I only was able to access a share on my C:\ drive.
    I still keep getting the login failed on other shared drives.
    The only thing that shows in the log files when I get the login errors is:

The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

Anybody else run into this and found a solution?

Thanks in advance

Anyone find the solution to getting Shares to work on Windows 8? I'm in this boat also.

Thanks.

Ignorant me, just created a brand new Win8 user account and labeled it PBOA and a simple password.
    Did the full share allowance w/o the gpedits and seems to work most times w/o issue.
    But I find that using Mezzmo is whole lot more reliable and the good folks at Mezzmo did a new driver for PBOA on my request >> so there are no issues what-so-ever now.

thanks this worked for me. Windows 8.1 Pro. GPEDIT.

Default Worked for me also (Windows 8.1)

Steps: (what I did)

Complete all the Windows 7 registry tweaks and settings per previous posts.

If you need the Group Policy Editor (preinstalled only in Windows 8.1 Pro and Enterprise) download:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...GhzRGpwOVFPQkE

Run: setup

If you have 64 bit Windows:

Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Copy the following files and folders then paste to C:\Windows\System32:

GroupPolicy Folder

GroupPolicyUsers Folder

Gpedit.msc File

per previous post from redilyn:

Open gpedit.msc -> Computer configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously

Enter path: \\(computer name)\(video folder - may not be needed) Example: \\HOMEMAIN\Downloads or just \\HOMEMAIN

Close gpedit
    Open cmd prompt
    Type gpupdate /force

In PBO -> NET -> (your workgroup) -> (your computer) -> Enter computer user and login (proper uppercase and lowercase required) -> login - save to my shortcuts

Additional note: I recently purchased an Addonics NAS40ESU (Network Attached Storage - $88 NewEgg). This gigabit unit connects to your router via wired ethernet and allows the connection of two eSata or USB hard drives (up to 16 terabyte NTFS, 2 terabyte FAT32 or 16*tebibyte*size in XFS, EXT3, EXT4 formatted drives – XFS, EXT3, EXT4 have the fastest transfer rate). Once these drives are shared via the easy to use Web interface, all formatted type drives are read/writable in windows and show up in PBO - easily accessed after login. I download files directly to these drives. Files from computer to the NAS drives (XFS - eSata) transfer at about 40 MBps (2.25 GB per minute). A 40 GB 1080p movie stored on NAS drive plays smoothly on PBO.
    Last edited by noblemd; 02-18-2015 at 03:38 AM.