Thread: Is there a UPNP media server that will stream .vobs to the PBO?

Default Is there a UPNP media server that will stream .vobs to the PBO?

I have several PBOs at my house and they work great streaming my ripped DVDs (I use DVDFab) from the hard drive of my windows PC.
    They are stored in .vob file format in the standard VIDEO_TS files.
    I have been looking for a UPNP media player that will play correctly stream these movies to the PBO.
    I cannot find one that will do it.
    Has anyone else found one?

Are you sure this is not a limitation of the PBO??? If memory serves ISO dvd rip do not work either thru an UPNP media server on the PBO but the same ISO file plays fine on the PBO thru a network or attached hardware (USB drive connected to PBO). Try to play that vob file thru the media server onto a PC using for example VLC and see if the PC can play it. If so then the problem is with the PBO capability not the media server.

Cheers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    Are you sure this is not a limitation of the PBO??? If memory serves ISO dvd rip do not work either thru an UPNP media server on the PBO but the same ISO file plays fine on the PBO thru a network or attached hardware (USB drive connected to PBO). Try to play that vob file thru the media server onto a PC using for example VLC and see if the PC can play it. If so then the problem is with the PBO capability not the media server.

Cheers !!!
    Actually, I am not sure if it is a limitation of the PBO. That is why I am asking.
    Are you saying that the PBO simply cannot play vobs through UPNP? If so, is there another file format that will work?
    What is VLC?
    Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by sd_iconoclast View Post
    Actually, I am not sure if it is a limitation of the PBO. That is why I am asking.
    Are you saying that the PBO simply cannot play vobs through UPNP? If so, is there another file format that will work?
    What is VLC?
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am not sure I never tried to feed a vob file using UPNP to the PBO but I do know that DVD ISO using UPNP does work. Most format works using UPNP (mpg, avi etc...) usually works fine using UPNP depending on the video codec used. VLC is simply a PC media player that support UPNP feeds; so does most video player including Window media player I believe. I will try to find a vob file when I have a chance and see if it works thru UPNP. Pretty busy lately so it might take a bit of time for me to give you a definite answer about the vob issue.

Cheers !!!

I am not sure I never tried to feed a vob file using UPNP to the PBO but I do know that DVD ISO using UPNP does work. Most format works using UPNP (mpg, avi etc...) usually works fine using UPNP depending on the video codec used.

Cheers !!!
    Are you saying?
    1] .ISOs do not work through UPNP
    2] Based on that, you suspect that .vobs will not work either, but you have not tried it.

If that is what you are saying, that is completely supported by what I have seen through testing multiple brands of media player software.
    I have avoided converting my .vobs to mpg, avi etc because I assumed that I would lose the ability to play the DVD interactively. In other words, menus, subtitles, commentaries etc would not work.
    Is there some format that:
    A] I can convert my .vobs to
    B] plays through UPnP
    C] Retains DVD interactivity

Thanks for your help.

Are you saying?
    1] .ISOs do not work through UPNP
    2] Based on that, you suspect that .vobs will not work either, but you have not tried it.

If that is what you are saying, that is completely supported by what I have seen through testing multiple brands of media player software.
    I have avoided converting my .vobs to mpg, avi etc because I assumed that I would lose the ability to play the DVD interactively. In other words, menus, subtitles, commentaries etc would not work.
    Is there some format that:
    A] I can convert my .vobs to
    B] plays through UPnP
    C] Retains DVD interactivity

Thanks for your help.
    Question:

1) Yes that is correct ISO do not work thru UPNP (Pretty good guess on your part since it would appear that I wrote that they do work on my previous post).
    2) Possibly not sure never tried vob file using UPNP.

A) Convertion is possible but you will lose menus interactivity.

Also keep in mind that it is much easier and better playing compability if you just setup a samba server on the PC that contains your movies then trying to use an UPNP media server. Samba server will be seen on the network tab and everything works the same as if the file resided on an External drive connected to the PBO.

Any reasons why you want to use a UPNP server vs a file server service like Samba.????

Cheers !!!!

Question:

1) Yes that is correct ISO do not work thru UPNP (Pretty good guess on your part since it would appear that I wrote that they do work on my previous post).
    2) Possibly not sure never tried vob file using UPNP.

A) Convertion is possible but you will lose menus interactivity.

Also keep in mind that it is much easier and better playing compability if you just setup a samba server on the PC that contains your movies then trying to use an UPNP media server. Samba server will be seen on the network tab and everything works the same as if the file resided on an External drive connected to the PBO.

Any reasons why you want to use a UPNP server vs a file server service like Samba.????

Cheers !!!!
    Actually, I am currently playing all my movies using a PBO accessing a windows file server and, as you say, it works great.
    But, I have many media playing devices on my network such as a media playing blu-ray players.
    I am searching for a common format that all devices can access. The PBOs can stream the movies off my server, but cannot play NetFlix etc.
    The Blu-Ray player can play NetFlix, but cannot stream my movies off the server. This means that I have to have both devices (PMO and Blu-ray) at each location. This also means that I have to have two network connections at each location (my network is wired).

I have started to consider that losing DVD interactivity might actually be an advantage as long as I can still get subtitles. I assume that I could then eliminate all the stupid previews. Given this insight, I think I will try to get the PBO to show NetFlix. Can you recommend some windows media player software?
    Also, can you recommend software to convert my .vobs to MKVs?

Actually, I am currently playing all my movies using a PBO accessing a windows file server and, as you say, it works great.
    But, I have many media playing devices on my network such as a media playing blu-ray players.
    I am searching for a common format that all devices can access. The PBOs can stream the movies off my server, but cannot play NetFlix etc.
    The Blu-Ray player can play NetFlix, but cannot stream my movies off the server. This means that I have to have both devices (PMO and Blu-ray) at each location. This also means that I have to have two network connections at each location (my network is wired).

I have started to consider that losing DVD interactivity might actually be an advantage as long as I can still get subtitles. I assume that I could then eliminate all the stupid previews. Given this insight, I think I will try to get the PBO to show NetFlix. Can you recommend some windows media player software?
    Also, can you recommend software to convert my .vobs to MKVs?
    Keeping the subtitles should not be an issue assuming that the conversion software supports it. I would recommend handbrake for conversion to mkv but you should do a short video first to make sure that it's compatible with all your players. mkv is simply a video container which can use many different codec specification so make sure that the parameters you use works before converting anything else. I am not sure about a window media player since I am a Linux user. I know that VLC is free and also available for window PC and a very good media player.

By the way there are no reason why you can not run a file server and a UPNP server at the same time. That way your files will be available using the network or the UPNP server. The servers resources are pretty small when they are not serving anything and just sits in the background doing nothing.

Cheers !!!

I am not sure about a window media player since I am a Linux user. I know that VLC is free and also available for window PC and a very good media player.

By the way there are no reason why you can not run a file server and a UPNP server at the same time. That way your files will be available using the network or the UPNP server. The servers resources are pretty small when they are not serving anything and just sits in the background doing nothing.

Cheers !!!
    Ok, what media player do you recommend on Linux? How do you feel about MediaTomb?

I understand that I can run both the medai server and file server, but that would require me to keep all movies in two formats, .vob and .MKV.
    In other words, If I find MKV can be acceptably played through UPnP, then all of my media player boxes could use UPnP and there would be no use on keeping the .vobs on the file server.
    Thanks again for your help.