Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery self-discharge?

Question Battery self-discharge?

The battery in my Gauntlet Node completely self-discharges over a period of approximately 7-10 days if not being used and not connected to anything. After about 5-6 days, the battery 'meter' on the unit shows 1 LED unlit. After another 2-4 days, the unit is dead, will not turn on, and no LED's light on the 'meter'.

And, no, the power switch is not accidentally left on.

What kind / chemistry is used for the battery. This behavior seems to indicate that it's a NiMH battery rather than a Li-ion ?

Or, do I have a bad battery ? I sure hope this is not normal behavior !

Thanks,

Bob

Mine does the same.

All of the reviews I have read say that the battery is a Lithium Polymer chemistry. They should NOT self discharge anywhere near what we are experiencing. Now I am wondering if there is some part of the electronics in the Gauntlet Node that has power applied full time that is causing the battery to go dead quickly while the unit is turned off and sitting idle. I'll take a look under the cover and see if there's a way to measure battery current drain without having to perform surgery on the unit.

Hi bracobob,

When not in use, you will lose about 2 bars/dots per week.

Rest assured that this is completely normal for the Gauntlet Node. It’s a combination of how the controller, circuitry, and how the device operates that is causing this. It may drain somewhat faster than let's say a traditional cell phone lithium Ion but our we have verified that this is nothing out of the ordinary. For now we would recommend to use the unit as is. We’ll be glad to replace it, should you experience any further major issues with the device.

Same happens with the Aero. Don't know how fast, as I've not been focused on it. But it seems to me a battery shouldn't run down when not in use and the power is off.

This problem is the worst design fail I've ever seen. Makes the product completely useless to me. Every time I go to use it, the battery's dead. Since I'm looking to replace it with something that is designed properly, I'm also probably going to rip this thing apart and see if there's a way to completely disconnect the battery when it's not powered on, like it should have been done from the get-go. How annoying.

In case anyone is still reading this thread, I've modded the Gauntlet so it has a power switch. I'm happy to report that it works perfectly and the battery stays fully charged even if the unit is left for weeks (with it powered off of course). I now have a product that works the way it should have when it was designed.

If anyone is interested in modding their Gauntlet, let me know and I'll post some pics.

Sure. Post away.

I would guess the mod is a switch in line with a battery wire. So the switch would need to be on when charging, and the unit powered down or hibernated before turning off the battery. If shut down while running, might be data corruption. Would rather see firmware with long press to shut down completely.

So, it's not pretty. If I'd been more careful it probably wouldn't look like a rat chewed the holes in the plastic, but I wasn't concerned about the appearance since I was ready to toss it if it didn't work anyway.

Obviously the usual warnings apply - you can easily start a fire or explode the battery should you short out the terminals while soldering, or after you're done if things aren't insulated well. Don't attempt this unless you are VERY familiar with soldering techniques and small circuit electronics.

image1-small.jpg
    image2-small.jpg
    image3-small.jpg
    image4-small.jpg
    image5-small.jpg
    Last edited by Mr.X; 04-10-2014 at 10:11 PM.