Thread: Does the internal HDD have to be formatted after a firmware update?

Default Does the internal HDD have to be formatted after a firmware update?

I updated the firmware to P70R2 BCN and on every boot, I get a warning screen about formatting the internal HDD. I want to avoid this if possible. I can cancel it, but it comes up again on ever reboot. I can access the contents on the HDD just fine, so I don't see any problems. How can I get rid of the formatting prompt?

As long as the internal HDD has been formatted at least once using the PBO format option it should not warn you about formatting the internal HDD. The PBO format actually creates 3 partitions on your drive a linux swap partition, linux partition, and NTFS partition (That is the large partition to store stuff, videos,photos etc..). Once formatted with those 3 partitions no more warning should be given. If the PBO has already formatted the drive and this drive was not subsequently format on your PC and you still get that warning then I guess your only option is to actually reformat the drive using the PBO.

Good luck.

Snappy

Thanks for the reply, snappy46. I believe it had been formatted by the PBO when I had originally installed the HDD, but that was a while back so I'm not 100% sure. Is there a way I could manually format things to comply with the PBO's expectations without deleting the NTFS partition with the media content? I have made a backup, so in the worst case I just have to let the PBO format it and then transfer all the media back, but if I can avoid it, I will have spared myself a few hours of transfer time.

You might be able to create those partition with partition magic (Windows) or Gparted (linux) to create/recreate those partition but I still think that you will need some stuff copied to your linux partition to keep the PBO happy .... well maybe.

All and all the easiest thing to do if you already backup your data on the drive is to simply let the PBO do its thing and then copy the data back to the drive NTFS partition. This is probably the solution that will create the less amount of headache for you.

Cheers !!!

I've decided to do just that and let the PBO format the HDD and copy the backup over. In doing so, I found out a couple of things:

1) Transfering from an USB external HDD to the PBO takes very long, at least 2-3 times more compared to when I made the backup by plugging the PBO as an external device to a computer and transferring to the external HDD that way
    2) The file copy menu in the PBO only allows selecting 8 files or folders at a time for copying

Perhaps the first point is due to limited free RAM in the PBO? The second point is annoying but can be avoided by putting all the files/folders to be transfered into one parent folder.