Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Enable Media Database" option and "play logo stays on screen" bug (again!)

Default "Enable Media Database" option and "play logo stays on screen" bug (again!)

Yesterday, while I was trying to get rid of the omnipresent and very annoying "play logo stays on screen" bug, I've found the option "Enable Media Database" (under Settings-->Storage).

However if I enable this option and back in the main menu I select "Videos", a new menu appears before the classic folder view, but then whenever I try to play a movie the Alpine reports this error:

SORRY!
    The application Video (process com.skyviia.application) has stopped unexpectedly.
    Please try again.

FORCE CLOSE (this is the only clickable button)

This happens even with the little preview in the folder view!

I need to disable the option and reset the Alpine.

Does somebody have this same problem? What the hell is this option anyway?

Last thing, again, how can I get rid of the "play logo stays on screen" bug? I've already tried the suggested solution (reset options in the "privacy" menu) with no luck.

Thanks.

Bye.

Try sending support an email. As I don't believe they read these posts any more. When they choose not to respond to you via email you will understand how they care about there customers. Seriously has anyone from Patriot responded to any posts about the Alpine lately. ??? Even if they made a direct statement saying "this device is no longer supported" statement it would be better then being ignored .

MauroMJ,

Which firmware are you using? I do not remember having that problem with the play logo or issues with the media database enable although I only enabled it for a short time. I am using the original firmware latest revision; I absolutely hate the navigation using the matrix list format especially for the selection of application. Only have the option to go up/down is not very efficient.

Cheers !!!

Firmware 3.0 (never used the "matrix" firmware, only the official ones)

- The "play logo" bug is related to EVERY OSD info (fast forward, rewind, subtitle change, audio change) and I have to say that is a very very very annoying bug! Everytime, I need to press "return" and then start the movie again, hoping that the resume function works correctly
    - The "media database" bug is something new: I don't remember this option to be there with firmware prior to 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by MauroMJ View Post
    Firmware 3.0 (never used the "matrix" firmware, only the official ones)

- The "play logo" bug is related to EVERY OSD info (fast forward, rewind, subtitle change, audio change) and I have to say that is a very very very annoying bug! Everytime, I need to press "return" and then start the movie again, hoping that the resume function works correctly
    - The "media database" bug is something new: I don't remember this option to be there with firmware prior to 3.0
    I believe that firmware 3.0 is an off-spring of the Matrix firmware; I will give it a try and see if I have the same issue. As far as the media database that option has been available since the first firmware. Unfortunately it does not do too much if memory serves therefore I disabled it on my PBO; I believe it works fine on official firmware except as you mentioned firmware 3.0 which is the matrix in disguise with some extra add-on and fixes like the scrolling filename.

Snappy

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I believe that firmware 3.0 is an off-spring of the Matrix firmware; I will give it a try and see if I have the same issue. As far as the media database that option has been available since the first firmware. Unfortunately it does not do too much if memory serves therefore I disabled it on my PBO; I believe it works fine on official firmware except as you mentioned firmware 3.0 which is the matrix in disguise with some extra add-on and fixes like the scrolling filename.

Snappy
    So are you saying that I should revert back to firmware 2.1 (as Patriot calls it)? Is that the firmware you call "the original firmware latest revision"?

In the end, the firmware 3.0 wasn't really an update, but just a funny joke from Patriot. I really don't care about this "media database" option, but due to the lack of a real user manual, I was curios to know what it does (or should do).

Anyway, there are a lot of bugs but from my point of view, the "play logo" bug is far the worst of them: ever present in each firmware releases!!!

Finally, you talk about the non-efficient scrolling of apps with the matrix list format, but have you ever tried to reach the middle of the movie (or photo, or music) folder when you have 90-100 titles using the remote? No page up/page down, no "keep pressed" scrolling, only one-by-one up or down: one word, frustrating. For me, the Alpine was intended to be used mostly for movie and photo playback.

Bye

So are you saying that I should revert back to firmware 2.1 (as Patriot calls it)? Is that the firmware you call "the original firmware latest revision"?
    I am not sure I will have to look it up; I believe it's the one labeled 30 mar 2012?? not sure I would have to look it up and I can't right now. I just replace videoPlayer with the modded version which has filename scroll.

Anyway, there are a lot of bugs but from my point of view, the "play logo" bug is far the worst of them: ever present in each firmware releases!!!
    Not sure I have limited usage with the PBO Alpine since I mainly still use my PBO Core. The PBO Alpine works fine with my USB connected Hard drive but not so good using network (NAS).

Finally, you talk about the non-efficient scrolling of apps with the matrix list format, but have you ever tried to reach the middle of the movie (or photo, or music) folder when you have 90-100 titles using the remote? No page up/page down, no "keep pressed" scrolling, only one-by-one up or down: one word, frustrating. For me, the Alpine was intended to be used mostly for movie and photo playback.

Bye
    Yeah a bit of a pain; I am currently working on porting SRJG movie jukebox which I help develop for the PBO Core to the PBO Alpine. This should bring a movie wall to the PBO Alpine assuming I am successful ..... still have a few problems and very limited time to work on it.

Cheers !!!

I am not sure I will have to look it up; I believe it's the one labeled 30 mar 2012?? not sure I would have to look it up and I can't right now. I just replace videoPlayer with the modded version which has filename scroll.
    On Patriot support site, only firmware 3.0 and 2.1.0 are still there; the previous versions have disappeared (I wonder why).
    By the way, I've saved all firmware releases on my hdd whem they appeared online.

- 14 march 2012 v0.1.0
    - 17 april 2012 v1.1.0
    - 30 may 2012 v2.1.0
    - 19 november 2012 v3.0

Which one?

Not sure I have limited usage with the PBO Alpine since I mainly still use my PBO Core. The PBO Alpine works fine with my USB connected Hard drive but not so good using network (NAS).
    Ahhh, yeah. That reminds me that when I bought the Alpine back in July, I've given away my old PBO Core as a present...who would have tought that Patriot would have made such a mess with the new PBO!

Yeah a bit of a pain; I am currently working on porting SRJG movie jukebox which I help develop for the PBO Core to the PBO Alpine. This should bring a movie wall to the PBO Alpine assuming I am successful ..... still have a few problems and very limited time to work on it.
    That would sure be a great thing and I really appreciate your work, but let me say this another time, wouldn't this be Patriot's work?

Bye

UPDATE: I've tried the firmware 2.1.0: same bug with the "media database" function. Also I've noticed that my "old" settings are not resetted with the firmware downgrade/upgrade. Is there a way to do a real "hard" reset?
    Last edited by MauroMJ; 03-07-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: firmware downgrade

UPDATE: I've tried the firmware 2.1.0: same bug with the "media database" function. Also I've noticed that my "old" settings are not resetted with the firmware downgrade/upgrade. Is there a way to do a real "hard" reset?
    I believe I am using V2.1.0 with modded videoplayer. I'll look at that media database function when I have a chance.

There is a factory default option in the settings menu but I can not remember where it was exactly. There is also an executable binary that you can run thru adb server named "masterclear" that also reset the default.

Cheers !!!

There is a factory default option in the settings menu but I can not remember where it was exactly.
    You're probably referring to the option in the "privacy" menu, but actually a lot of settings aren't changed after the reset.

For example, to properly send AC3 and DTS to my TV I need to set audio to RAW format and I clearly remember that the very first time I powered the Alpine, I've had needed to set other various options like "overlay video" to maximize the screen size: but, like I said, all this isn't changed with that "reset". The only thing that is changed for sure is the interface language from Italian to English.

As a side note, the date & time reset randomly at every start, even if I plug the wireless adapter and I enable the auto option.

There is also an executable binary that you can run thru adb server named "masterclear" that also reset the default.
    I'm not sure how to do this.
    Last edited by MauroMJ; 03-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.