Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Enable Media Database" option and "play logo stays on screen" bug (again!)

Quote Originally Posted by MauroMJ View Post
    You're probably referring to the option in the "privacy" menu, but actually a lot of settings aren't changed after the reset.

For example, to properly send AC3 and DTS to my TV I need to set audio to RAW format and I clearly remember that the very first time I powered the Alpine, I've had needed to set other various options like "overlay video" to maximize the screen size: but, like I said, all this isn't changed with that "reset". The only thing that is changed for sure is the interface language from Italian to English.
    Hmmm!!! Ok you are probably correct and that is the only way I know how to reset things other than using adb and "masterclear". Chances are masterclear probably does not reset things all the way neither ????? I am not sure but I have a feeling that when you select factory default it's actually the binary "masterclear" that get's run.

As a side note, the date & time reset randomly at every start, even if I plug the wireless adapter and I enable the auto option.
    Not sure about that one neither; most time I do not even bother with even entering the proper GMT because I have been reloading various firmware on a regular basis for testing purposes and development compability. Usually just return to V 2.1 firmware after trial.

As far as "adb" is concerned this is a tool similar to telnet that is part of the Android software development kit (SDK); I am not sure if this software is available by itself. In a nutshell adb is similar to telnet but for the android. Once you have that program (CLI) you can open a command prompt (Windows) or terminal (Linux) and access the android device assuming that the setting option --> application --> enable USB debugging has been enable on the device. Since the PBO does not have a USB host port it can be access from adb using the following command on your computer:

adb connect <PBO IP ADDRESS>

cheers !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    As far as "adb" is concerned this is a tool similar to telnet that is part of the Android software development kit (SDK); I am not sure if this software is available by itself. In a nutshell adb is similar to telnet but for the android. Once you have that program (CLI) you can open a command prompt (Windows) or terminal (Linux) and access the android device assuming that the setting option --> application --> enable USB debugging has been enable on the device. Since the PBO does not have a USB host port it can be access from adb using the following command on your computer:

adb connect <PBO IP ADDRESS>

cheers !!!!
    Ok, I'll give it a try asap but I'm not positive that this method works different from the other one and gets rid of the "play logo" bug.

Ok, I'll give it a try asap but I'm not positive that this method works different from the other one and gets rid of the "play logo" bug.
    Nor am I ...............

Similiar problem also exist when viewing youTube; sometimes the buffering message does not dissapear from the screen.

Nor am I ...............

Similiar problem also exist when viewing youTube; sometimes the buffering message does not dissapear from the screen.
    As expected, no luck: "play logo" bug is still there and now I'm seriously thinking of throwing the Alpine out of the window.

Nor am I ...............

I really don't understand what the hell goes through their minds at Patriot.

In the last days I've intensified the number of emails sent to the tech support (since last September, I'm regularly sending emails to Arash Far Saeed and to all Patriot's email addresses that I've been able to find); now they claim that the "play logo" bug is an hardware problem and I need to send them my unit with the RMA procedure.

Can you believe this? They say I have to pay again to send them my Alpine (probably another 15-20 for shipping after I've spent 100 back in July 2012) and then I'll receive a new unit (yeah, maybe if I'm lucky I'll receive a new one and not a "regenerated" one and probably sometimes in the late spring).

Do they really think I'm stupid? Do they really think that I don't know that THEY perfectly know that the Alpine was a complete failure?
    Don't they know that this particular bug affects ALL the unit? And then what, are they going to RMA all the Alpine that they've sold around the world?

WORLDWIDE RMA????

I did not expect such behavior from a so famous company.

In the last days I've intensified the number of emails sent to the tech support (since last September, I'm regularly sending emails to Arash Far Saeed and to all Patriot's email addresses that I've been able to find); now they claim that the "play logo" bug is an hardware problem and I need to send them my unit with the RMA procedure.

Can you believe this? They say I have to pay again to send them my Alpine (probably another 15-20€ for shipping after I've spent 100€ back in July 2012) and then I'll receive a new unit (yeah, maybe if I'm lucky I'll receive a new one and not a "regenerated" one and probably sometimes in the late spring).

Do they really think I'm stupid? Do they really think that I don't know that THEY perfectly know that the Alpine was a complete failure?
    Don't they know that this particular bug affects ALL the unit? And then what, are they going to RMA all the Alpine that they've sold around the world?

WORLDWIDE RMA????

Actually I never experienced that issue with the play logo; only with the buffering message. Anything particular you need to do for the play logo to stay on the screen ... ex: paused then play again; or is it totally random?

By the way I played with the media database options and did not have any issues with it. In a nutshell it's just a way to display all your video's / music etc... on the selected Path according to the selection. Folder option behave the same as the normal behaviour except that it shows a list of all your video's in one big list. This can be a little bit time consuming if you have a lot of video's. It only works for USB connected device; it does not work with a selected network drive/NAS. If a network device is selected it only gives the default view we are used to. So basically it simply scan your USB connected devices for video's if you have video selected and store them in a database. When you call one of the option it gets the data (video Path) from the database versus reading the drive directory for file that are videos.

It very much like what I am doing with the movie jukebox SRJG port to the PBO Alpine except for the view presented to the user; in the case of the Movie Jukebox it is a movie wall that allows you to select video you want to see the moviesheet for and then play it. Project is in Alpha testing right now; it is usable but buggy and somewhat slow. Currently trying to fine tune the code to improve performance. It works ok with my small collection of about 300 movies but I am not sure what would happen if I had like a thousand movies.

Anyhow that is discussion for another day.

Snappy46

Actually I never experienced that issue with the play logo; only with the buffering message. Anything particular you need to do for the play logo to stay on the screen ... ex: paused then play again; or is it totally random?
    The play logo remains on the screen EVERYTIME I press pause then play or fast-forward than play, or rewind than play.

If I change audio or subtitle during playback, even the green line with the info remains on the screen (and another great thing of the Alpine is that when you change audio and/or subtitle, the Alpine doesn't simply show "italian" or "english" but a very user-friendly string of useless information; dear Alpine, why don't you read the MKV internal info? another 5 minutes coding patch, but it seems that the Patriot employees are too busy right now).

By the way, the only way to get rid of this annoying on-screen-bug is to press RETURN and then, in the folder view, press PLAY again: very frustrating.

I've read in the forum of other users with the same problem and if you search on internet you'll find some reviews concerning about this same bug.

Bye

PS: Just discovered that the volume display info, the repeat logo, the zoom green line, all of them remain on screen too...basically every OSD info.
    Last edited by MauroMJ; 03-15-2013 at 08:05 AM.

The play logo remains on the screen EVERYTIME I press pause then play or fast-forward than play, or rewind than play.

If I change audio or subtitle during playback, even the green line with the info remains on the screen (and another great thing of the Alpine is that when you change audio and/or subtitle, the Alpine doesn't simply show "italian" or "english" but a very user-friendly string of useless information; dear Alpine, why don't you read the MKV internal info? another 5 minutes coding patch, but it seems that the Patriot employees are too busy right now).

By the way, the only way to get rid of this annoying on-screen-bug is to press RETURN and then, in the folder view, press PLAY again: very frustrating.

I've read in the forum of other users with the same problem and if you search on internet you'll find some reviews concerning about this same bug.

Bye

PS: Just discovered that the volume display info, the repeat logo, the zoom green line, all of them remain on screen too...basically every OSD info.
    Wow !!! Ok this is definitely an issue with your player since I do not have such problem over here. It could be hardware related but I very much doubt it; I think that somehow an area of the flash memory has been corrupted that a firmware update does not replace. That being said if your flash memory is bad for certain memory location it is somewhat possible to create this problem and then we are talking about hardware issue.

I can not think of anyway that would totally clear your flash memory and start back with a clear slate on this device. Running the "masterclear" possibly but not sure. If you find adb a little too intimidating you could try this app: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15169815/And...ultimate-1.apk and enable the telnet server. You then might be able to connect to the PBO using telnet and issue the masterclear command and see if that helps.

Other than that I really do not know what else you could try. I could try to cook up an app that will run that command "materclear" with a click of a button if you want. Unfortunately I still believe that this is the command that is actually ran when you click reset to default in the setting menu ??? But not 100% sure.

That masterclear saved my PBO once before when for some reason it just would not boot up .... the line in the middle of the screen would scroll left to right for hours with nothing happening. I then managed to connect the PBO using a USB to serial interface connected inside the PBO to get access to the terminal. I was then able to issue the masterclear command and the PBO finally boot up properly.

Let me know if telnet is still too itimidating for you and I'll see what I can do about creating an app for you.

Snappy

Can you believe this? They say I have to pay again to send them my Alpine (probably another 15-20€ for shipping after I've spent 100€ back in July 2012) and then I'll receive a new unit (yeah, maybe if I'm lucky I'll receive a new one and not a "regenerated" one and probably sometimes in the late spring).

WORLDWIDE RMA????

WOW you got a response. ITS A MIRACLE .... Hardware issue my *** . Maybe if they actually released a proper firmware upgrade,this device would work as intended.

Yeah a bit of a pain; I am currently working on porting SRJG movie jukebox which I help develop for the PBO Core to the PBO Alpine. This should bring a movie wall to the PBO Alpine assuming I am successful ..... still have a few problems and very limited time to work on it.

Cheers !!!
    WHOA!! very nice! let me know if you want me to write a few simple methods for you to help out! haven't done java in a LONG WHILE but if you want any minor help definitely let me know!