Thread: Unable to access router attached Hard Drive on Western Digital N900 (not Central)

Default Unable to access router attached Hard Drive on Western Digital N900 (not Central)

Hi,
    I hope someone can help me...

I bought a new Router WD Mynet 900 (not Central) and have hooked up my external drive to it. I am not able to access the hard drive via the "NET/WORKGROUP/MYNETN900/WD_my_book_1130_54" option on the PB. It keeps requesting Login/Password (Realtek_Guest/password).

Previously I had a Netgear N300 router and was able to access it by changing the permissions on the router connected Hard Drive. But unfortunately I am not able to change the Permissions on the same hard drive (via router). The permissions are set to "special" and unable to update. Called WD and they said nothing can be done about changing permissions.

1) I have no login/passwd set on router
    2) Have set HD on router to Public Access via the Router setting
    3) SMB/BT is "on" via PB
    4) My OS is Windows 7 Professional

I am able to access my Computer ""NET/WORKGROUP/NAME-PC/C DRIVE".

I hope someone can help...

Thanks,
    ajays74
    Last edited by ajays74; 06-09-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Can you access the hard drive connected to your router using your PC??? Can you telnet to your router and manually change the drive/directory permissions??? What is the format of the hard drive connected to your router (NTFS, EXT4......) some filesystem have higher security settings than others.

This could also be a samba version issue???

I don't know anything about the WD Mynet 900 just trying to throw idea up your way.

Snappy

Thanks Snappy,
    Yes, I am able to access the HD via computer and via the Patriot box (but only via UPnP) not via the NET directory. I have very limited remote functionality when accessing the files via UPnP.

I am not sure how to Telenet to router. I will search how to Telent to router. The HD is formatted to NTFS. How do I check if its a samba issue?
    ajsys74

Quote Originally Posted by ajays74 View Post
    Thanks Snappy,
    Yes, I am able to access the HD via computer and via the Patriot box (but only via UPnP) not via the NET directory. I have very limited remote functionality when accessing the files via UPnP.

I am not sure how to Telenet to router. I will search how to Telent to router. The HD is formatted to NTFS. How do I check if its a samba issue?
    ajsys74
    If you can access the your drive using UPnP then you must have UPnP server running on your router. Are you sure that the samba server is enable on your router??? I am not sure how you can check about samba version issues only know that in some cases the samba client (PBO) and samba server (Your router) sometimes refuses to connect to one another because of different version of samba.

Snappy

I just got the WD mynet n750 router, and am having the same problem as OP. When I goto Network->Shortcuts (192.168.1.1), it says login successful. I can see the HDD connected to my router (Seagate_FA_GoFlex_Desk_47), but when I press enter, it says "logon fail."

All other devices in my house can access the HDD except for the PBO. There is no password. Drive is in NTFS format.