Thread: WD Portable 1TB USB 3.0 issue

Default WD Portable 1TB USB 3.0 issue

I have both older PBO and the new Alpine. This WD USB 3.0 portable drive works on the older PBO and will not work on Alpine. I also tried my 2TB HDD and it works fine on Alpine. Does it have anything to do with the power that the WD portable is required from Alpine? Since the 2TB HDD has its own power and the portable requires power from the Alpine. I'm trying to set this up in my SUV entertainment system to make it easier rather than putting in DVD all the time. My old setup works but too bulky with the smaller Alpine and small portable WD drive is just fits right inside the center armrest compartment. Please advise.

Thanks

Frankie

It is quite possible as you suggested that the PBO Alpine might not have enough current output to drive the external portable drive. One way to check that is to use a Powered USB hub with your external drive connected to it. Then connect the USB hub to the PBO Alpine. If it works then the issue is current output from the PBO; if it still does not work then it's probably a driver issue and you are probably out of luck and will need to use another drive.

Cheers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    It is quite possible as you suggested that the PBO Alpine might not have enough current output to drive the external portable drive. One way to check that is to use a Powered USB hub with your external drive connected to it. Then connect the USB hub to the PBO Alpine. If it works then the issue is current output from the PBO; if it still does not work then it's probably a driver issue and you are probably out of luck and will need to use another drive.

Cheers !!!
    Thanks for the response. I tested it with another WD my passport 1tb portable drive (usb powered) and this one worked. They're both WD brand, not sure why one worked and the other didn't.

Frankie