Thread: NFS Exports....

Default NFS Exports....

Hi,

Has anyone managed to export folders other than /mnt/data/public via NFS?
    I've connected using telnet but can login as the admin user etc. So I can't edit the /etc/exports NFS config file.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Meh

Hello and Welcome to the Island of Valkyrie!!!
    The quick answer is NOPE, cant be done! As you've noticed most of the file system is locked or read only (RO Flash Ram) Even /proc (which is suppose to be dynamic) is RO (issue a [uptime] cmd right after a reboot. But if you really, really, really want to make it work, have a lot of time, and dont mind manually configuring it after every reboot, then Yes it can be done! Also in my opinion this is only worth it if your are using RAID-1 and absolutely can not have a old 386 box, running linux, be your NFS Server. If you can, save yourself a lot of time and go that route instead. But for those that have a lot of Aspirin, here it goes......
    First study up of BIND, MOUNT, and LN commands. As these will become your friends in the next couple of weeks. Next is the way that the Valkyrie uses the disk for a RAID-1 files system. It only mirrors the data partition of the Disks (sda3, sdb3) Partitions one and two (swap, and /conf) are on both disks but only one drives is active and the other is just taking up space. (BTW if the drive that has the active partitions on it dies, you have to copy your data manually to recover it.) Once you know which drive does not have active part. 1, 2. You can now use that space for other things, like making a copy of the /etc directory or uploading the latest copy of BusyBox. Once have that done, just use one of those commands that became a guru on, and you will now be able to export to your hearts desire. Told you that it was not easy but could be done! In my case I have BB v.1.21.0,(using BIND) sitting there on sda2. As well as a new. custom tailored copies of /proc, /etc, and /usr to clean-up, replace, or added function for my needs. And remember that after reboot the data will be just as you left it, but all of the Binds, links, and mount points will be no more.

Default NFS issues - again :-(

NFS is a headache for sure on the Valkyrie. The reason I bought it was to support NFS, and over the past 3+ yrs I've had it work for months at a time and had it return 'permissions denied' for months at a time. Several times I thought I had it solved, only to have that "solution" no longer work the next time I try :-(

while having admin access via telnet is better than nothing, when it comes to resetting NFS (or changing /etc/exports) one needs to be UID 0 - something that cannot be :-( I have lots of data on the box via NFS that I can no longer get to - and my personal backups (via rsync) obviously are no longer happening. wish I could figure this out once and for all.

Code:
    [admin@FA520]# exportfs -v 192.168.1.*:/mnt/data/public  
    exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "192.168.1.*:/mnt/data/public".
      Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
      NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

exporting 192.168.1.*:/mnt/data/public
    exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/.etab.lock for locking: errno 13 (Permission denied)
    exportfs: can't open /var/lib/nfs/rmtab for reading
    exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/.etab.lock for locking: errno 13 (Permission denied)
    exportfs: can't lock /var/lib/nfs/etab for writing
    exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/.xtab.lock for locking: errno 13 (Permission denied)
    exportfs: can't lock /var/lib/nfs/xtab for writing
    [admin@FA520]# ls -l /var/lib/nfs
    -rw-r--r--    1 0        0             149 May 20 22:05 etab
    drwxr-xr-x    2 0        0              40 Dec 31  2008 v4recovery
    -rw-r--r--    1 0        0               0 May 20 22:05 xtab
    [admin@FA520]# ls -ld /var/lib/nfs
    drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0             160 May 20 22:06 /var/lib/nfs
    One cannot even bypass what is in /etc/exports because user admin != root

Frustrating.