Thread: My PBO core died, heard of Alpine and you all seem to hate it. Why?

Default My PBO core died, heard of Alpine and you all seem to hate it. Why?

All I need in a media player is the ability to plug in a hard drive and thumb drive via usb, and play ripped dvds(usually in .iso format). I want to be able to access menus and chapters just like on a dvd(which my PBO core could do just fine). I have a WDTV Live and it can't even do that.

I have no need or interest in networking. It will never be online. No Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, nothing. Ever.

Also, which remote does the Alpine come with? I see two different ones online on the sites selling them and in the reviews - one just like the Core's, and one tiny little one that looks pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by g42 View Post
    All I need in a media player is the ability to plug in a hard drive and thumb drive via usb, and play ripped dvds(usually in .iso format). I want to be able to access menus and chapters just like on a dvd(which my PBO core could do just fine). I have a WDTV Live and it can't even do that.

I have no need or interest in networking. It will never be online. No Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, nothing. Ever.

Also, which remote does the Alpine come with? I see two different ones online on the sites selling them and in the reviews - one just like the Core's, and one tiny little one that looks pretty useless.
    Hello:

FYI, Patriot has discontinued and is no longer supporting Alpine PBO.

You'll be on your own if the device is not working when you receive it.

Alpine plays many formats; I don't remember trying the .iso format files though and I doubt that Alpine can do chapters with the little remote (may be the bigger remote can). I don't rip Dvd but simply copy the dvd files to an hard drive and play from it.

Dan

The product is outdated the day it was release, they never done anything to update the firmware, there are formats that it doesnt even support when it say it does and they would not do anything to update it. If I were you.. stay away from all patriot products. They don't seem to support a lot of their other products when it comes to warranty as well. I had issue with a USB drive a while back and even tho it has 1 year warranty. They claim its wear and tear so its not warrant. Guess what I was using it for? It was inside 1 laptop to use as a readyboost for less than 4 months. So how did they get to that conclusion? And in the end, you have no say in what their conclusion is. There are a lot of other android media players out there. Stay clear of any media player from this company will do you a huge favor. Even if you look at the PBO core, They didn't even do a very good job of updating that. There are more 3rd party firmware updates than the company as well.