Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to use PBO Core with Plex Media Server?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default How to use PBO Core with Plex Media Server?

    I have been using my PBO Core for a while, only utilizing the usb and built in hdd options. I am trying to consolidate my media onto a single server for use and am having some issues getting it setup. I have setup a Plex Media Server on my pc, and can stream from that to a Roku, but it sounds like the majority of the transcoding for that takes place on the pc instead of the client (roku) because of its inability to natively play the file formats. If this is accurate I was wondering about using my PBO Core to take over as the client since it is able to play the file types natively, and should remove the necessity for transcoding on the pc. If this is inaccurate, please correct me. If this is correct however, then I would like to try setting up my PBO Core with my Plex Media Server, but am quite lost on how to do so.

    I see that the PBO Core supports UPNP, and Plex is listed as a UPNP media server. I have seen in several threads people stating they are able to stream from their Plex server to their PBO, but I cannot seem to find any info on how to set it up. I am hardwiring the connection to the PBO, and under setup in DHCP (Auto) it had assigned an IP address, but then going in and selecting UPNP from the home screen I see nothing selectable. I'm at a loss on what to do to set it up, and the manual for the unit isn't of much help (http://goo.gl/wKse40).

    So for what I'm trying to do, is it possible (stream from Plex media server to PBO)? If yes, can anyone offer any insite on how to set it up? Links to existing documentation is appreciated, I just have not been able to dig up anything for this after looking.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada (ON)
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    You should not have to do anything special for setup. As long as you have PLEX running on your PC you should be able to see it under the PNP tab of your PBO and select feeds available thru PLEX.

    Cheers!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    You should not have to do anything special for setup. As long as you have PLEX running on your PC you should be able to see it under the PNP tab of your PBO and select feeds available thru PLEX.
    That is what I keep reading but I'm not having that kind of luck. I am trying to wire the pbo directly to my server which I was able to do and get the PBO to show an IP address with DHCP Auto, (I used a patch cable and bridged my wifi connection to my wired NIC), but still when I go to the PNP Tab I just see the back option (...). Do you know if I have to do something within PLEX to make it show up, or within the PBO settings itself?

    Also where the PBO is capable of natively supporting the various file formats, will it take over the transcoding of the media locally, or will the Plex media server still transcode before streaming?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada (ON)
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1303 View Post
    That is what I keep reading but I'm not having that kind of luck. I am trying to wire the pbo directly to my server which I was able to do and get the PBO to show an IP address with DHCP Auto, (I used a patch cable and bridged my wifi connection to my wired NIC), but still when I go to the PNP Tab I just see the back option (...). Do you know if I have to do something within PLEX to make it show up, or within the PBO settings itself?
    Nothing that I can think off right now. I used it a few years ago so it's been a long time; PBO is connected wirelessly and I do not remember any issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1303 View Post
    Also where the PBO is capable of natively supporting the various file formats, will it take over the transcoding of the media locally, or will the Plex media server still transcode before streaming?
    My guess would be in Plex setup whether or not to transcode into a different format before it is send ???? I'll see if I can find some time to install Plex and try this again. I will report my findings once I do.

    Snappy46

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada (ON)
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    I installed Plex added two channel (PBS, Revision3) and went to the PBO (UPNP Tab) and had no issues playing Plex video feeds. I didn't have to do anything on the PBO or Plex for that matter; everything worked right out of the box; sort of speak...

    I am running the 64 bit linux version of Plex but it shouldn't matter which version you are running. On the PBO I am running the P70R2 firmware; what firmware are you using? Maybe you have a corrupted firmware on the PBO? It might be worthwhile to flash the firmware back on the PBO?

    These are the only suggestions I have for you at this point.

    Cheers !!!
    Last edited by snappy46; 01-26-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •