Hi!

I realise this forum has been inactive for the last couple of years - I guess there isn't much use for the Gearbox anymore, with regular NAS'es getting cheaper by the day.

I still figured I'd venture a try, to see if anyone could help or have any input.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to use the gearbox in "reverse".

Usually, a USB harddrive is connected to the USB ports of the Gearbox, and the contents of the usb port is served through the LAN port.

In stead, I would like to do it the other way around: Connect the usb port of the Gearbox to a media player (for instance my old WD TV, which doesn't have wifi), connect the LAN port to my router, and have the gearbox map up the media on my "real" NAS and serve it to the WD TV.

So, the gearbox would have to connect to the NAS via e.g. AFP, create virtual folders or something, and then pretend to be a normal USB harddrive when talking to the WD TV.

I assume it would be possible (everything is possible on the internet!), but I have no clue how, or if it would take alot of work.

Probably not a very large scale need for this, but I figured I'd ask just in case. I hate to see old stuff go out of use, especially when there might be some fun had with finding new uses for it