Thread: Retiring the Javelin for a more consistent product

Default Retiring the Javelin for a more consistent product

I bought the Javelin when it came out and it's been working fine though the web interface has been unresponsive as of late. Seems I have to start the box with the drives out, access the web interface and leave the browser on that page while shutting down the Javelin, pushing the drives in and booting up. Then the web interface is available until it times out (if I let it) after which it's no longer accessible. Very annoying. I can telnet in, map shares, etc. but I just can not access the web GUI. This was very annoying recently when I wanted to add a share and could not because I couldn't get to the stupid GUI.

So I have moved on to a Synology DS415play which is supported way more regularly by Synology, constantly updated and has way more bells and whistles than the Javelin ever did. So I'll see how this goes. I'll probably nix the Javelin after taking the drives out and putting them into a spare PC as backup to the DS415.

It's a shame that Patriot never really championed the Javelin or updated it regularly. Seems like they had this great product, it was well reviewed and was at a very good price point but that was it. Introduced it and that was about it. This is very similar to what happened with the Mvix media players which did a lot but never really had much support. The Mvix Ultio I have still works but is in need of some updates which will never arrive. Sad.

Anyway, my Javelin might be available in the near future....

Kevin

I got the same web interface problem. Anyone else got this issues and find a way to repair this?
    I'm thinking about buying another NAS if I can't solve this problem.

Same web interface problem here too. After two weeks of fiddling around finally got it back, but the NAS wouldn't recover the RAID volume.

I gave up and got a QNAP TS-451 on boxing day. The firmware and software apps are so much better and it runs Plex Media Server perfectly.
    Last edited by chrisck; 03-22-2015 at 09:57 PM.

I actually got the stupid thing working with the web GUI running and changed the JBOD to a RAID5. It was a pain to get it running and I had to flash new firmware, start it up several times with hard resets and try with drives in and out, etc. Suddenly it was running, GUI was fine and I could start to make changes.

Was happy to have it functioning I thought I would use it as a backup to the Synology but in about 2 hours the GUI failed to come up again! Ugh.

So I took the drives out and that's pretty much it. I was hoping to give it to a friend/family member or maybe sell it or at least use it as a not-so-reliable backup but with the GUI going out almost immediately, none of that is going to happen. Time to toss it.

Thanks for your input. I guess there is no simple and permanent fix for this. I'll start my search for a new NAS!

Gave my Javelin to a techie friend at work who said he'll play with it. So it's gone and I'm out of here. Thanks to all who provided help over the years, especially badintentions. The work you did on the rooter plugin was awesome.

So I'm logging out now and most likely won't be back.

Good luck to anyone who still has a Javelin.....

Kevin