Thread: Javelin Bricked?

Default Javelin Bricked?

I'm desperate for help. My Javelin went down during an extended power outage when I was away from home with the battery back up I use fully discharged.
    Now I can't access any of my files on my Javelin. I can launch the dashboard app and it just has the spinning wheel going forever and once in a while I get an error message about the address of my device not being correct (see screenshot).
    I know what I need to do, having ordered parts to build a cable to do senomoto's technique to try and restore my NAS until I can migrate my files onto other external devices.
    All my music and woodworking magazines are on the Javelin. I am desperate and wonder if I can actually do this as I am an advanced user but nowhere near what I would call a hacker like senomoto or bad intentions with very limited knowledge of command prompts, telnet or linux .
    Can I hack this Javelin using a mac as that is all I have?
    Does anybody have a Javelin that they would sell to me or be willing to repair mine for a fee?
    Is there anybody actually reading these posts nowadays?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Screenshot.jpg
    Last edited by sabusab; 03-20-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Check if any file servers are running by any chance. You can PM me if you have questions once you are in the serial console.

Many thanks alexei. I'm a few weeks off (4-6) from doing anything as I ordered cables and they're coming from overseas. But I will take you up on your kind offer.

Okay so I assembled my cable attached it to the jst connector, open putty and configured it as described in senomoto's post, clicked open and nothing happens. Putty just dings.
    Am I missing something here?
    Tried running putty in bootcamp mode (windows 7) on my Mac and also on an old Windows computer (windows 7 as well). Same result. Nothing happens.
    What am I doing wrong?

Managed to get into and repair my Javelin using hyperterminal in Windows 7 via bootcamp on my mac. A few steps were missing such as after booting the Javelin with the power cord and using the home made cable, one has to toggle the power button once in order to get to u-boot.
    Also, the shutdown command was unknown so I used killall which seemed to work for me. I am currently copying all my music and woodworking stuff onto 2TB portable drives. I'll be looking for a replacement NAS even though now the Javelin is running better than it ever did before (which isn't saying much).
    I must thank senomoto for his excellent tutorial and must especially thank alexei for his kindness and willingness to help even with the Javelin being obsolete. Slainte to you alexei!
    Regards to all,
    Seamus aka sabusab
    Update: took 44 hours, 43 minutes and 3 seconds to transfer 1.03 TB of data, approximately 49 Mbps on average (music only so far) running raid 5.
    Now I'm working on transferring over my woodworking books, mags and videos. Hopefully it won't take as long.
    Last edited by sabusab; 04-30-2015 at 11:02 PM.