Thread: SSD Blast doesn't work anymore after firmware update failed

Default SSD Blast doesn't work anymore after firmware update failed

Hello,
    I recently bought a Patriot Blast 120GB, installed it on my laptop and partitioned it. Then I downloaded Patriot SSD Tool Box 1.08x3 and procedeed to update the firmware. The status of the firmware update stalled at 5% for some minutes and at a point it gave me a message that said update failed and the next thing was that the toolbox didn't show me the ssd anymore.
    I restarted the laptop and when it initializes the sata devices it freezes for like a minute and it doesn't recognize the ssd. I tried to test the ssd on two other laptops and I have the same behavior. Any suggestions for me or should I send it back to warranty?
    Last edited by Cosminelc; 11-22-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosminelc View Post
    Hello,
    I recently bought a Patriot Blast 120GB, installed it on my laptop and partitioned it. Then I downloaded Patriot SSD Tool Box 1.08x3 and procedeed to update the firmware. The status of the firmware update stalled at 5% for some minutes and at a point it gave me a message that said update failed and the next thing was that the toolbox didn't show me the ssd anymore.
    I restarted the laptop and when it initializes the sata devices it freezes for like a minute and it doesn't recognize the ssd. I tried to test the ssd on two other laptops and I have the same behavior. Any suggestions for me or should I send it back to warranty?
    Hello, I have same probleme. You was able to resolve ? Thanks

I had the same issue too with the 1.08x3 Toolbox. At first i blamed Win10 for being too new and incompatible with the 1.08x3 Flasher. But after a second Patriot Blast SSD, i tried to flash on Win7 and no antivirus running, which at least completed the flashprocess, but left me with a dead SSD anyways, i gave up on flashing the nect replacement patriot blaze SSD i got.
    Now theres a new patriot toolbox v1.09 out though, available at the Patriot Blast SSD webpage under "Downloads". Did anyone try that one yet? After 2 dead SSDs, im scared to ruin my 3rd SSD with it *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by deny2006 View Post
    Hello, I have same probleme. You was able to resolve ? Thanks
    I sent it back to warranty. Now i'm waiting for the replacement and I won't update the firmware untill this issue is fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Cosminelc View Post
    I sent it back to warranty. Now i'm waiting for the replacement and I won't update the firmware untill this issue is fixed
    Hello, my SSD was changed in warranty. I never make a firmware update to it.
    Last edited by deny2006; 12-03-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Patriot now admitted Issues with previous firmware toolbox versions, rendering Ignite and Blast SSDs useless and things are supposedly fixed with the patriot toolbox 1.11. A German computer-news site tested and confirmed the fix (Computerbase.de). Last I tried the Blast webpage still said 1.09 is the latest toolbox version, but when i tried to download the file, i got version 1.11 really. Going to flash my drive now. Wish me luck...
    I successfully upgraded my Patriot Blast from firmware SAFM12.0 to SAFM12.2 using the 1.11 Patriot toolbox. The flashprocess was a very short one and I already expected that something went wrong, but after shutting down and cold restarting my PC the Patriot Blast still got listed and was accessible with the new firmware. Using ATTO disk benchmark 3.05 I achieved a writing speed of 504mb/s and a read speed of 560mb/s, faster than before. I don't know yet how that translates into real life performance, but it's a good start.
    Last edited by Asri; 01-04-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Default working now!

I bought a Blast 120gb in 2/28/2016, installed in an HP tower with a Quad Core AMD 2.4Ghz, 16gb RAM and dual boot Windows 10 64bit (500gb HDD), Linux Mint (120gb Patriot Blast SSD formatted ext4), and my Linux home partition was a 2TB Western Digital. My bootloader (Grub) was also on the SSD.

I was running firmware version 12.0 and the Patriot site told me there was an update, so I downloaded and installed Toolbox version 1.12 on my Windows 10 partition. The firmware upgrade stalled briefly at 5% then zap! Suddenly showed 100% and directed me to power cycle the machine. I rebooted, but the PC failed to reboot. My fault, a reboot on most machines is different than a power cycle - you actually have to turn off the machine and walk away for a bit.

When I came back to the PC, it started right up is running the latest firmware and my 15 second boot time to Linux Mint is now 10 seconds. I've rebooted/power cycled several times since and it appears to be working perfectly & is faster though I don't have any fancy software to evaluate speeds. SMART data for the SSD shows no errors, over 300 hours so far and it's totally healthy.

SO while I don't know how to advise folks who previously had problems with this firmware update, hopefully my experience will help anyone who is worried about bricking their SSD with the current update. All worked fine for me (once I figured out that I needed to actually turn off the PC after the update).

Having the same issue with Blast 240GB and Patriot Toolbox 1.15.

The update just gets stuck at 5%...

Any tips on how to resolve this?