Thread: Patriot Blaze 120GB Endurance

Unhappy Patriot Blaze 120GB Endurance

Hello,

my ssd drive is about 1 month old, very little in use and Endurance in S.M.A.R.T. is showing 99.77%
    Are all drives loosing endurance so fast and it hasn't even been used very much?

Also I got few remarks about Patriot toolbox 1.11:

1. text in program is only partialy shown, everything is too large to fit inside space intended.

2. when I choose "optimize" it asks me to format the ssd instead of optimizing it.

3. when I choose firmware upgrade it doesn't show me info about what FW is available so I could choose, and if you press "firmware upgrade" it just starts upgrading and you got no control about what will be flashed to your drive

ssd4.jpg ssd5.jpg

Does anybody else have Blaze SSD? What values do you have for endurance? Mine just seems to be going down.
    ssd6.jpg

i Have a Blaze 120GB SSD and it shows nothing for me in the toolbox software ad when i try to update the firmware i get the message that the firmware is to old to be updated.

also as a side note when ever my computer restarts it cannot find the drive i have to hard reboot it and then change the boot sequence everytime i am running windows 10

Message on web page:
    "New Firmware Available: Latest firmware version is recommended for optimal performance. Please find below, under the Downloads Tab."

At the moment there is a big message about new firmware in download section on their Blaze web page but of course there is no download,
    so I contact their support and they tell me that only their Blast and Torch SSD drives are getting the update

Support message:
    "Sorry for the confusion. Toolbox version and firmware version actually do not have any correlation.
    The firmware version is only critical for our Blast and Torch LE using 11.0, 11.1, 12.0 or 12.1.
    1.11 would be the latest Toolbox version available for the Blaze.

Patriot Support"

So I ask them why is there that big message in orange box on Blaze SSD page also but they didn't answer.
    Also I went on Blast and Torch pages and checked the download section but there is also no download for new firmware just the new toolbox.

I also asked why is there no update for Blaze toolbox (that look very bad) but didn't get an answer to that either.

Can't say that their support is good in providing info to people.
    Last edited by raid2606; 03-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.

It is now down to 99.67%
    Is there anyone else with Blaze SSD that can tell me his state of endurance?

ssd8.jpg

So after two months of use it is at 99.67%. For how long it will last for you (endurance wise), 50 years?
    I believe the endurance is related with average erase block count and it is possible that Patriot rated flash memory used in Blaze for 2000 program/erase cycles.
    I wouldn't worry about that endurance indicator, my Blaze 240GB is at 97% after year and a half of use.

Hello, well that is a nice point, and thank you for replying.
    My point is that it would be nice to receive such explanations from their support team because when I started using it, and those % started declining
    I didn't know what it is about and how fast will it be degrading. Because of their unprecise answer how it could be this and that in windows I lost quite
    a time while chasing ghosts and reinstalling my system few times.

Well, it seems they are little bit confused about their SSDs and their software
    And there is firmware update available. It is done by the Toolbox you can download at Blaze SSD 'Downloads' page. I have updated firmware from S8FM07.9 to S8FM08.3 < but that you have already figured out, I guess

Cool Patriot Blaze info

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
    Well, it seems they are little bit confused about their SSDs and their software
    And there is firmware update available. It is done by the Toolbox you can download at Blaze SSD 'Downloads' page. I have updated firmware from S8FM07.9 to S8FM08.3 < but that you have already figured out, I guess
    My Patriot Blaze Firmware version is now at S9FM02.8.
    It was update using Patriot Toolbox version 1.12.
    The Blaze is a 60GB now showing 99.37% Endurance at
    1090 Power on Hours (45 days).
    Smart attribute shows about 300GB written (1LBA=1024bytes).
    Yields endurance rating: 50TB.
    Rough estimate of years of life left: 50TB/2400GB/year=20 years.
    Patriot Blaze spec: 2,000,000 hours (228 years)
    But that number that assumes writing: 220GB/year
    To me the 20 year life should be plenty for anyone.
    If planning on writing lots of data, like lots of videos every day, may want to
    get a Hard drive and expect to replace it every 3-7 years.
    On Media Center, I use SSD to run OS/applications, and HD to store videos.

Admittedly, the Toolbox does not have a manual, but seems to be useable, and
    very useful. I find the firmware update is smoother, when the SSD is not
    used to run the computer (2nd drive). After, the update the drive can be
    used to operate a computer (for OS/Apps).

Quote Originally Posted by terrytrigg View Post
    Patriot Blaze spec: 2,000,000 hours (228 years)
    But that number that assumes writing: 220GB/year
    2,000,000 hours doesn't mean your drive will work fine for such time. And does not translate into 220GB of writes per year

As far as I know MTBF (mean time between failures) is a statistical information rather than information that the drive will work fine for lets say 2,000,000 hours until its first failure. Keep in mind your drive can fail today, tomorrow, next month, in a year or never during your life.
    I would rather interpret it roughly about this way:
    when MTBF is 2,000,000 hours, the probability of drive failure during a year (8760 hours) is 0,44%. Also this can be interpreted as 1 of 227 drives can fail during a year.

Personally I see the MTBF as a reliabilty indicator and drive with 2 million hours MTBF should be in general much more reliable than the drive with 1.2 million hours MTBF.