Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Stuttering, Prefetech & MS Patches) Slow SSD Writes

Default (Stuttering, Prefetech & MS Patches) Slow SSD Writes

I bought a patriot SSD about 1 month ago. I am finding it very slow on any writes. When I install anything on my computer it takes 3-4 time as long as it did with my mechanical HD (microsoft office took 45 minutes to install). Also when I am downloading something from the internet (as simple as 2mb file or anything from a website) the system becomes frozen until the download is complete and it takes along time to write the download to the disk. The worst one of all is YouTube. I cannot even watch the movie until it is fully buffered and completed. During the time the Youtube movie is downloading the system become unresponsive. My hard drive light stays on the whole time. I don't think it is anything to do with my computer as it is a 2.4ghz laptop with 4gb ddr3 ram, and a 9300m graphics card. Please help me. I am running windows xp.

Default Slow SSD Writes

It is a Patriot 128gb SSD version 2

Default And very low transfer rate

I have a Patriot Warp 64GB SSD (PE64GS25SSDR) and experience similar issues on a ASUS P5Q Pro MB with Intel Q9550 processor. Installation of programs is slower than normal disks and file transfer rates is no where near to the promised 100MB/sec write and 175MB/sec read. Windows boot is not faster than ordinary SATA hard disk drives. Looking for a solution from anyone who has experienced similar issues.
    Installed on Vista 32 bit, using the ASUS driver for AHCI setup of the SATA controller.

Smile 64GB SSD stalled on writes/installs appears resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonN View Post
    I have a Patriot Warp 64GB SSD (PE64GS25SSDR)
    Seems applying this hotfix from microsoft has solved my issues with delayed writes to the SSD. I applied this Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928253 and have not experienced any delays in writing and installations of apps etc do not stall any longer...

I've also incorporated these tweaks as well, http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=47212 and all in all it seems to be working reasonably well.. I"ve tested reading and writing (Copying directories of avi files (1gb >) and also dirs with 20,000 various php and template files and between my HD's to SSD and HD to HD and its faster all round..

Hope its not just my imagination.
    ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe Mthrbd
    4GB Corsair
    Patriot 64GB Boot drive
    WD 230GB x2 2nd & 3rd HD's
    Vista Ultimate 32b

Nice resourceful find there Slyder. Thanks! I'll be trying these out before re-running some SSD tests. The only issues that someone might still experience on older chipsets is the odd Chipset stutter. It doesn't expect as fast a query reply from the SSD since they're really tuned for standard IDE and ATA.

Quote Originally Posted by Temukahn View Post
    Nice resourceful find there Slyder. Thanks! I'll be trying these out before re-running some SSD tests. The only issues that someone might still experience on older chipsets is the odd Chipset stutter. It doesn't expect as fast a query reply from the SSD since they're really tuned for standard IDE and ATA.
    I'd be curious to know how your results compare to my own... Let me know how it goes.
    ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe Mthrbd
    4GB Corsair
    Patriot 64GB Boot drive
    WD 230GB x2 2nd & 3rd HD's
    Vista Ultimate 32b

Turning off Prefetch helps a lot with my Samsung SSD boot times, just turned off indexing per the one guide above so thanks for that.

Default SSD is not worth it

That's all well and good if you have Vista. The prefech tweaks only relates to Vista since those reg entries dont exist on XP and if I manually enter them I get no change, also the Microsoft Hotfix only relates to Vista and wont let me install it. I went through most of those performance tweaks on OCZ and got very minimal boost, especially related to turning off page file since I have 4GB of ram, but that has additional consequences. Once I turned off the page file the system would lock and hang when it got close to 3 out of the 4GB ram used while multitasking, like clicking on another app on the task bar while one is working on something such as Outlook downloading new email.

I have the Lenovo T61. That Lenovo SSD Bios update is only good for Samsung drives. The other mentioned Lenovo update is only good for fixing Vista drive installation issues.

I built this system from a total system state backup from my default mechanical Toshiba 5400RPM 120GB drive. So when I put that drive back in and boot up I literally make it to the desktop in almost half the time it takes for this WarpV2 SSD to boot. I'm talking from power on to the fingerprint login prompt screen.

Fresh install from XP boot CD,
    install up to SP3,
    do system state restore from attached USB drive and reboot,
    on bootup make sure all programs launch, IE, Explorer,
    run through all the OCZ tweaks like turning off Indexing service and page file. and shutdown.

10 boots for each drive to get this timer.
    Toshiba Mechanical boot time: 37 seconds (Hard drive light blinks off and on)
    Patriot Warp v2 Boot time: 53 Seconds (Hard drive light is on constant until you get the login screen)

I'm told never defrag an SSD drive, not that it matters here since my restore should have laid out the files contiguously.

Any other suggestions?

The performance above only relates to bootup which is extremely fast compared to multitasking once in windows. Sometimes programs just freeze when the drive light comes on for a while. As someone else mentioned with UTube, most videos cannot be watched until they are fully downloaded.

Open an Excel 2007 document and try using Alt tab while its loading, you get a response maybe 15-20 seconds later. With a mechanical drive ALT Tab during program multitasking is instant as if there is a cache on the mechanical drive that the SSD does not have.

I'm not seeing any hardware issue that warrants asking Patriot for a new drive, and no one is offering life changing tweaks for XP including Lenovo, so why keep this drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can't fix the problem from what I have read... Looks like the problem is a crappy IO controller in these drives. There are things you can do to avoid seeing the stutters, but in the end they are just avoiding situations that will cause them. They all can't be avoided as you see when you alt-tab and use you pc like it was intended to by multi-tasking.

Long read, but worth it...

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...spx?i=3531&p=1
    Last edited by Deveous; 04-03-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    That's all well and good if you have Vista. The prefech tweaks only relates to Vista since those reg entries dont exist on XP and if I manually enter them I get no change, also the Microsoft Hotfix only relates to Vista and wont let me install it. I went through most of those performance tweaks on OCZ and got very minimal boost, especially related to turning off page file since I have 4GB of ram, but that has additional consequences. Once I turned off the page file the system would lock and hang when it got close to 3 out of the 4GB ram used while multitasking, like clicking on another app on the task bar while one is working on something such as Outlook downloading new email.

I have the Lenovo T61. That Lenovo SSD Bios update is only good for Samsung drives. The other mentioned Lenovo update is only good for fixing Vista drive installation issues.

I built this system from a total system state backup from my default mechanical Toshiba 5400RPM 120GB drive. So when I put that drive back in and boot up I literally make it to the desktop in almost half the time it takes for this WarpV2 SSD to boot. I'm talking from power on to the fingerprint login prompt screen.

Fresh install from XP boot CD,
    install up to SP3,
    do system state restore from attached USB drive and reboot,
    on bootup make sure all programs launch, IE, Explorer,
    run through all the OCZ tweaks like turning off Indexing service and page file. and shutdown.

10 boots for each drive to get this timer.
    Toshiba Mechanical boot time: 37 seconds (Hard drive light blinks off and on)
    Patriot Warp v2 Boot time: 53 Seconds (Hard drive light is on constant until you get the login screen)

I'm told never defrag an SSD drive, not that it matters here since my restore should have laid out the files contiguously.

Any other suggestions?

The performance above only relates to bootup which is extremely fast compared to multitasking once in windows. Sometimes programs just freeze when the drive light comes on for a while. As someone else mentioned with UTube, most videos cannot be watched until they are fully downloaded.

Open an Excel 2007 document and try using Alt tab while its loading, you get a response maybe 15-20 seconds later. With a mechanical drive ALT Tab during program multitasking is instant as if there is a cache on the mechanical drive that the SSD does not have.

I'm not seeing any hardware issue that warrants asking Patriot for a new drive, and no one is offering life changing tweaks for XP including Lenovo, so why keep this drive?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Prefetch can be turned off in XP. I simply use nlite to remove it completely.

Turning off the pagefile is only recommended if you know the programs function fine without a pagefile. If you experience problems after turning it off, turn it back on and test whether or not that fixed the problem. The ideal setup (For the pagefile) is to put the pagefile on a hdd, and have the ssd with the operating system and no pagefile.

Are you using XP 32 bit? If so XP should not see the 4GB of ram. Are you actually using all 3 gigs the XP x86 is seeing? If so, what programs do you have installed that are using so much memory? That much memory usage would definitely cause the problems you are describing.

]From other forum:
    ]"Outlook: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...24/450881.aspx
    ]
    ]Outlook 2003 Speedups:
    ]
    ]Biggest gain comes from cutting .pst / .ost file to below 1gb
    ]
    ]Recommended is 600mb - that takes archiving.
    ]
    ]Repair the .pst / .ost with scanpst tool:
    ]
    ]http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/ou...563001033.aspx
    ]
    ]Dump any add-ins that are not needed - validate each one in terms of effect on performance.
    ]
    ]Then:
    ]
    ]Dump IM, mapped drives that are not needed, and speech /handwriting recognition.
    ]
    ]http://www.slipstick.com/problems/slow.htm
    ]
    ]Note: none of these moves require moving files to Ramdrive or other high risk moves.
    ]
    ]I run the .pst off a SD card in the Netbook.
    ]
    ]It will occasionally slow down (ie if you open junk mail folder) but generally it is fast enough to trade off portable .pst folder between my 2 computers.
    ]
    ](I keep master copy on the bigger machine, and copy the .pst to the SD card for the netbook for travel. In effect, an automatic backup).
    ]
    ]You'll have to "request" them yourself from these pages:
    ]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961752/
    ]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967688/
    ](click on the links "View and request hotfix downloads")
    ]There you'll get to enter you email and you'll get personal download-links to password protected zip-files (are they getting paranoid at MS or what?)"

You should be aligning your operating system partition BEFORE installing XP. I have had the best results aligning at 128 sectors (64k). If you need more information about this I can include it in a seperate post.

Doing a system restore after installing the operating system is not a good way to 'clean install' windows. Depending on how you took the image and what was done up to that point, it is always better to start from scratch (Or even better from an nlite version).

You shouldn't have to test IE and Explorer. You need to properly setup windows so you can be CONFIDENT that everything will work. If you are consistent and don't create problems, there won't be any.

My most used Patriot V2 noticed a slow-down on bootup after installing windows a few times. After using Hyperfast from Diskeeper my boot times are MUCH faster than any mechanical drive. It jumps to the desktop, overall bootup very fast. I'm not quite sure what hyperfast is changing, and I haven't had this problem on the other 2 Patriot V2's I own. I did however confirm that Hyperfast tremendously decreased my bootup time on this particular Patriot V2.

Youtube with this SSD is faster than any computer I have ever seen before. I have absolutely no problem with buffering or downloading or playback on youtube with all 3 of my Patriot V2s.

I have no problems with Excel on several patriot v2's and even other ssds. That is NOT a problem caused BY the ssd.

Defragging DOES matter, and you should NOT defragment your SSD.

You should keep the drive because it is not a hardware problem. You got what you payed for, you just need to improve your setup so the drive can unleash the speed it was created with.
    Last edited by AGlobalThreatsK; 05-04-2009 at 01:56 AM.