Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Doesn't See SSD

Default Quick update

I ordered the hard drive cable someone at this post recommended. Link (I doubt this will fix my issues but it is my last option before giving up. I will update as soon I I give it a try.

I also got a response from Patriot tech support and they basically asked if I tried everything in this post. If this does not work out and Newegg not allowing refund on drive what other options do we have?

Installed the new hard drive cable then installed the SSD that I installed from the USB adapter. It looked like it was going to boot up (that is farther than it has ever gotten) but stayed at the gray screen with the status circle just spinning. Tried to perform a clean install again and erased and reformatted the drive. The installation just fails. Going to try one more install from USB adapter then try and boot it from the drive installed again and see what happens.

Trying to install one last time with drive installed I see this error in the install log:
    Error writing cache to /Volumes/Untitled/Library/Caches/com.apple.FindSystemFiles.plist
    Failed to enumerate /Volumes/Untitled/Library/Caches/, cannot prune
    Could not create mutable product

then wants me to restart and try again, once I restart the install dvd does not recognize hard drive. Nothing shows up under install destination or under launching Disk Utility (other than the CD rom drive in disk utility)

hung SSD on USB adapter install goes flawless can boot and perform all updates fine (FROM USB adapter) once I install in mac...just sits trying to boot but never does. Also noticed EFI 1.8 released (TODAY!) but does not apply to my mid 2009 15" and also does not mention this sort of problem only some startup noise link
    Last edited by freemymind; 12-09-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Another update.

I tried booting the Mac after installing OSX and installing all updates from the USB adapter. Now when I boot the computer I get a kernel panic to show through on the gray screen.

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x559b29): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".|n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389

hope this will help though I doubt it. I realy hope Patriot will allow me to RMA this Torqx for one of the new KOI's mentioned in the other thread here in the forums.

Another error when booting verbose mode (command -v)

efiboot loaded from device:Acpi (PNP0A03,0)/PCI (B10)/SATA(0,0)/HD(Part2,Sig11497 BAB-1681-4EF2-B76B-BB3F0954DBF9)
    boot file path: \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
    .Loading 'mach_kernel'...
    .................................Read file failed: status 6, buffer size 0x130000
    Error loading kernel 'mach_kernel' (0x6)

so from this I can see the exact file it cannot read and the issue...please someone smart figure this out!

Freemymind,

Which firmware are you on? Have you tried the latest?

http://www.patriotmemory.com/support/firmwarep.jsp

A few Mac customers are reporting success with this.

I have tried both 1571 and 1819, looks like I am going to RMA the Torqx for a KOI and pay the difference. As long as it works I do not mind doing that for sure. Thanks for the input.

Default Any fix know fix yet ?

Still can't boot on Patriot Torqx SSD 256Go on my MacBookPro5,5 (Mac OS X 10.6.2)
    Anybody can help ?

Quote Originally Posted by webrendezvous View Post
    Still can't boot on Patriot Torqx SSD 256Go on my MacBookPro5,5 (Mac OS X 10.6.2)
    Anybody can help ?
    I think there is some combination of incompatibilities between SSD and the MacBook Pros as well as hardware failures on both the drives and the MacBooks.

I have a MBP 5,5 and I needed to RMA the drive 2 times and wait for the 1819 firmware before I have finally found a successful combination. I would try getting a new drive first before looking further.

From looking around the Apple forums it appears that many other people have been having similar issues and a few have found success by replacing the drive cable. Apparently they are easily damaged and/or compromised from the beginning.

With a working system now I am really happy, the computer is incredibly fast and responsive. Programs open nearly instantly and the computer boots up in around 12 seconds. Although you shouldn't have to keep on it and you should find a working combination.

I have replaced that hard drive cable I also have 5,5 mid 2009 MBP. The cable did not help.I am now waiting for the RMA to finish so I can exchange the torqx I was told to order for my mac to the KOI line drive.

What drive is in your mac currently wdbutrym?

thanks

I am using a standard Torqx 128gb drive. Although I am on my third but this one appears to be working quite well.