Thread: (SSD's on AMD Nvidia Chipsets) PE32GS25SSDR and nVidia RAID

Default (SSD's on AMD Nvidia Chipsets) PE32GS25SSDR and nVidia RAID

I have a pair of 32G WARPS that I would like to run in RAID 0 on a nVidia 780a chipset. The array sets up fine in nVraid BIOS, but will not be recognized by windows XP setup, both with F6'd driver disk and with a slip-streamed install. I have tried this on both a 750a and 780a board from different manufactures. Both worked fine with regular SATA drives in RAID 0. I have a ticket in with nVidia to see if there is a compatibility issue. Has anyone sucessfully RAIDed these drives on a series 7 nForce chipset???

Thanks,
    -WD

Hi,

I believe those particular chipsets (730i, 750a, 780a) does not currently support raid with ssd's. I believe Nvidia is working on driver updates regarding this. I would check Nvidia or the motherboard manufacturer for driver updates. Otherwise you might have to purchase a cheap raid controller to be able to do this.

I will sticky this and continue to check to see if there is a fix for this as well.

Default ssd controller

I just tried to set up a RAID 0 with 2 64gb Patriot ssd's on and M4N mobo with an AMD chipset and I can assure you the controller doesn't like it. I have been told by several people and the previous poster mentioned it, that a separate raid card might do the trick. Does anyone have any experience with controller cards and ssd's and can anyone make a recommendation?

"Areca" controller cards come highly recommended... The only problem, they are (imo) ridiculously expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816151031

$175 for the cheapest one!

I'd think for just a bit more, you could buy high end previous generation cpu/mobo/ram and just build a new computer!

I personally bought a cheap SATA controller ($40) and it was a nightmare... The company that manufactured the controller chip had gone out of business. A total "noob" mistake, but still... I couldn't justify spending $200 on a SATA controller for an outdated computer.

Good luck!

Default this areca is with pcix1 slot

i also wanted to buy somethings like that but pcix1 slot has only max 250 mb/s bandwitch and for raid 0 it's kinda small i think, today i tested SASWT4i raid card (pcix4 and LSI HW raid chipset) and i think it's very good budget solution (only issue in my opinion is only one stripe size fixed at 64kb, but this suits for me perfectly) i put my results in another threads and nvidia chipsets and their raid this is simply crap

Hi,

I have had issues getting 2 SSD drives to RAID 0,
    But after formating them both unders windows as seperate drives doing a full format to NTFS they RAIDed ok. Can't explain it but it worked

Default i tryied

everything without succes -> now i know that nvidia chipsets has crappy implementation, i really do what i can including molestating nvidia stuff by emails -> they claims that is system and disk fault and from their side everything is ok -> bs -> i tryide two different raid controllers and they are far far away than nvidia -> even absolutely cheapest one that i find with pcix1 slot and my LSI 1064E SAS works really good (also budget solution with pcix4 slot)
    Last edited by Patriot_Ben; 04-23-2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: language

Default Being Bent OVER AND SMILING...

Chaps yes i seem to be having issues with win 7 x 64 installin on 4 x ps-100s striped in raid 0.... using a gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 - windows simply wont instlal on the disks...

i do this with normal drives and it works seamlessly..

i also wanted to buy somethings like that but pcix1 slot has only max 250 mb/s bandwitch and for raid 0 it's kinda small i think, today i tested SASWT4i raid card (pcix4 and LSI HW raid chipset) and i think it's very good budget solution (only issue in my opinion is only one stripe size fixed at 64kb, but this suits for me perfectly) i put my results in another threads and nvidia chipsets and their raid this is simply crap.I have a pair of 32G WARPS that I would like to run in RAID 0 on a nVidia 780a chipset. The array sets up fine in nVraid BIOS, but will not be recognized by windows XP setup, both with F6'd driver disk and with a slip-streamed install. I have tried this on both a 750a and 780a board from different manufactures. Both worked fine with regular SATA drives in RAID 0. I have a ticket in with nVidia to see if there is a compatibility issue. Has anyone sucessfully RAIDed these drives on a series 7 nForce chipset???