Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 128 Warp V.2 won't format or reinstall

Default 128 Warp V.2 won't format or reinstall

I bought a Dell M1330 last year and got a Warp 2 SSD 128 Gig drive for my birthday last month, I installed Vista on it and ran fine for 2 weeks.

Now it is dead, it won't boot so I tried reinstalling Vista and XP neither would work. It won't see the drive, but I can hook it up to an external SATA enclosure and see all my data intact, but now I cannot even delete files off the drive... I can't even format it!

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Ok, update I tried using a knoppix disk and mounted the /dev/sda2 which is the windows filesystem, I can't even do a touch, it says it is read only. I can't even try mounting with a rw to invoke it.

I also cannot fdisk and delete the partition.
    Last edited by bwong83; 04-09-2009 at 12:28 AM.

You were using your computer as normal for two weeks, then through no fault of your own the computer simply refused to boot one day?

That's odd the drive "functions" but doesn't seem to respond.

Have you had any luck since posting?

http://www.hddunlock.com/download/

Will NOT work with external enclosures.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/softwa...l-Format-Tool/

Low level format... Reset the drive to "new." You will lose EVERYTHING. WILL work with external enclosures.

Thanks I'll give the low level format tool a try. At this point I am willing to try anything, I don't know why it just locked up and became a read only drive.

And yes all I had done on it was surf the internet and setup my outlook for email, I turned the laptop off and last Sunday I needed to work on my taxes, turned the system on and it wouldn't boot after that.

Hi

So I let the low level format run, it said it was completed successfully but my data still exists on the drive! What to do now?

Hi bwong83,

At this point I would begin to pursue warranty or rma unless you're insistant upon getting to the bottom of the problem. It appears to be a hardware malfunction to me.

There is only one problem, there is private data on the drive, and I cannot send it in. I hate the fact that I won't be able to get a new drive, but I'd rather not give out private data.

When you try to install windows, is the drive visible in the BIOS? Have you tried reinstalling windows on this SSD in a different computer?

If you can see the disk in an external SATA enclosure, then it will be in Disk Manager. Can you use Disk Manager to format the disk? You may have to set the drive to active after it has been formatted.

The drive is visible, my coworkers and I tried reinstalling on separate computers with an external enclosure one of us had. Disk manager says its formatting but when you look at the drive after it is still full of data, in fact I can still look at the data. It does stop reading after a while and you need to plug it back in and you'll see the data again.

It stops reading after a while? Is the OS and/or SSD idle during this time?

I had the same problem before being able to see the data after formatting, however I ignored this and after installing an OS everything was fine and back to normal, the XP partition was aligned at 128 sectors like I specified before formatting.

If the drive is recognized in device manager and you can see the data, have you tried turning off the pc, unplugging all the other drives (Except the DVD drive) and installing windows then? Making sure BIOS is setup correctly to accept USB HDDs/USB Devices.

Have you checked for any BIOS updates for the original computer this was used in?