Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiper .exe information

Default Wiper .exe information

I have read the Torqx drives can be "wiped" with the wiper.exe tool. If anyone has information on this, please post it.

Wiper utility should be up by today or tomorrow at the latest. If anyone is in urgent need of it, please drop an email address here or PM me, and I will get you the utility asap.

Patriot Ben, When should one use this to clean the drive. Should we (for example) clone the drive once every 6 months, use the wiper.exe and put the data back onto the drive? Are there any good guidelines out there on how this should be used? Thanks.

It should be safe to run this as often as you'd like. Trim is a low level command, not a program like defrag. It'll simply tell the ssd when blocks are no longer being used, to make everyday use more efficient.

As far as cloning the drive to re-transfering the data it shouldn't be necessary. On the contrary, Trim is supposed to be more efficient when the drive is close to being full.

Only reason I would see for cloning or backing up data is if you're concerned about anything important as no software is 100% data-safe. With the tests we've done here our data stayed intact. However, we urge users to back up important data to be on the safe side. It wouldn't hurt to have an 8 or 16gb pen drive for documents, pictures, music etc.

Oh, sound like I need to read more on this. I was under the impression wiper was software that cleaned the drive completely. Thank you so much for the information.

I decided to run the "performance restore utility" and after 20 minutes it's at 2%. This may be something to keep in mind before you run it. I guess it will take hours to finish. I don't know if it's safe to use the computer while it's running. Anybody know this?

Anyway, keep in mind it may take a LONG time to finish this "performance restore utility"

Are you in AHCI mode?

Wiper may run much faster in IDE mode (Configured in BIOS).

I would not use the computer while this is running unless you absolutely have to.

I ran the F/W update in IDE but have read this (if it's wiper.exe) runs better in AHCI and since it was not included in the instructions I left it in AHCI. I wonder if that is why..... It will take about 10-15 hours to finish. I would like to know if it's safe to end it and do it another time. I can let go but jeeze...I wish I had known.

If it's best to run in IDE like the F/W I hope they put that in the directions.

Yea I said "may" because I'm not quite sure. I too noticed no instructions/directions in the .zip and was kind of surprised. At least provide a little readme.txt

The developers must have something to say

Well 3 hrs into it and I'm at 12%. I will just let it go and NEVER run it again unless I have to. It will take about 20-30 hours! I hope it does no harm.

12 hours into the "performance restore utility" and it's at 48% I wish someone could tell me if I can stop it or not.

I am running in AHCI / Windows 7 64 bit / IHC10R chipset
    Last edited by nate42nd; 07-15-2009 at 12:28 PM.