Thread: Raid 1 & Offsite Storage of a 3rd rotated HDD?

Question Raid 1 & Offsite Storage of a 3rd rotated HDD?

I have just installed a Patriot Corza PCZ35SNAS2 with two 1.5TB HDSs in Raid 1 configuration.
    Is it possible/technically feasible/advisable to periodically swap in a third 1.5TB HDD so the third HDD can be held as off-site backup and swapped on a regular basis. I note that Patriot Corza documentation says not to remove HDDs until Corza is powered down - if this is the case why is the system termed hot swap?
    I used to rotate 3 HDD's with one off-site a HP Proliant server (did not power the system down to swap) but the drives were SCSI drives?
    Many thanks.

technically? Yes.

you just have to keep the backup drive and rebuild the raid once every blue moon.

I'm interested in doing the same as DCGSyd, and am wondering about the hot swap issue too. The manual clearly states to power down the Corza. Is that just a "CYA" from Patriot? Also, I can't find in the manual how to rebuild a RAID 1 array if one HDD fails. Are instructions available on how to do this whilst preserving data?
    Cheers.

techincally yes.. you can pull out the drive while it's running.

Thanks.
    And if a drive fails, plugging in a new HDD will automatically rebuild the array?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Biomed View Post
    Thanks.
    And if a drive fails, plugging in a new HDD will automatically rebuild the array?
    I am still looking for the answer to this question.

After closely reviewing the Corza documentation, I find that there are no specific instructions on how to rebuild a RAID1 array.

My assumption is similar to Biomed's: that I should power down the Corza, pull the bad drive, insert a new drive and the array will be automatically rebuilt upon powering the box on.

Can anyone corroborate this? I am reluctant to take any chances on losing my existing data.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

/dzmyth.