Thread: howto: Enabling telnet on Corza

Default howto: Enabling telnet on Corza

Just thought I'd share a feature I found on my Corza NAS unit that I couldn't find in the docs, people used a similar URL on other NAS units and I thought I'd give it a try:

1) Log-in to your Corza as admin as usual

2) Open the URL: (replace 'corza-nas.local.' with your corza IP or Address)

Code:
    http://corza-nas.local./cgi/telnet/telnet.cgi
    You'll see a 'Telnet Server' option with a port and enable checkbox, just check the box and you'll be able to telnet to your Corza:

Code:
    macbook:~ user$ telnet corza-nas.local.
    Trying 192.168.2.18...
    Connected to corza-nas.local.
    Escape character is '^]'.

CORZA-NAS login: user
    Password: ....

BusyBox v1.00-rc3 (2009.05.07-19:45+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

CORZA-NAS>
    Haven't tried yet but hopefully this will let me properly copy files from my external USB disk I've attached (since FTP and SMB can't do this!)

Enjoy.

Cool Update: nohup + Adding telnet option to Corza Control Panel

Copying many gigs of files off my Corza-connected USB drives is working great now using telnet and the mounted drives in /mnt/

I found the included standard 'nohup' tool to be handy for starting a file copy/move and then closing the terminal safely while it works away -- so I thought I'd share, i.e:

Code:
    CORZA-NAS> cd /mnt/usb1/Movies

CORZA-NAS> nohup mv * /mnt/md1/public/New_Movies/ &
    nohup: appending output to `nohup.out'
    CORZA-NAS>

(close terminal)
    Note that any output/errors can be viewed on the usb drive afterwards in 'nohup.out' or you can redirect the output to a file of your choice, i.e.:

Code:
    CORZA-NAS> nohup mv * /mnt/md1/public/New_Movies/ > /mnt/md1/public/copy_output.txt &
    CORZA-NAS>

Adding Telnet to Corza Control Panel:

To better integrate the telnet server and make it easy to switch on/off or change ports there's a simple way to add the Telnet service option to the Network section of the Control panel:

1) Enable telnet as I described earlier, telnet to the server as username 'root' & use your admin password

2) paste the following commands into your telnet client (leave out the CORZA-NAS> part obviously):

Code:
    CORZA-NAS> mkdir /usr/webroot/nav/telnet

CORZA-NAS> echo '<item id="telnet" label="Telnet" description="" url="cgi/telnet/telnet.cgi" parent="network_service" order="39"/>' > /usr/webroot/nav/telnet/telnet.xml
    You can then hit the Corza web interface and once logged in you'll now see a 'Telnet' option under the 'Network' section of the Control Panel.

Cheers,
    -Charles J.

Thanks man. That awesome. With some linux experience one can made a lot with this machine now.

Default How to mount drives

Cjcliffe:

Thanks for your helpful post. I've been able to add the Telnet feature to the menu of the NAS as outlined, and now I'm trying to move/copy files from a large external hard drive which I am attempting to attach directly to the usb port on the NAS itself.

I have a couple of questions about your instructions for using telnet to move/copy files.

1) Are you mounting drives by connecting them to the usb port on the NAS?
    2) If the answer to question 1 is yes, are the types of drives you are mounting thumb drives or something else? I'm trying to attach a Maxtor 500GB external drive in this fashion and I'm getting the error message: "can't cd to mnt/usb1/Music" (The drive name is Music). The external drive is formatted as NTFS.

When I follow your instructions, a file called nohup.out shows up in the destination, but no files are copied over. Can you provide additional insight into what you did to move/copy files?
    Last edited by phorensyc; 12-01-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: I never got a resonse, so I am providing more detail.

wow, this opens a whole new set of possibilities w/ the corza.

for one, I should be able to update the torrentflux software w/ newer versions now without needing to reverse engineer the install package.

thanks! I really wished Patriot would have stepped up & tell us how to do this when we asked many weeks ago, instead of making all the users figure this stuff out...

Smile

Ahoy,

1) Yes, I just connect the drive to the USB port on the NAS, unless you connect a hub and multiple devices it should appear under /mnt/usb1/

2) So far I've been able to connect an 8GB USB CompactFlash drive, and a 100GB 2.5 laptop drive in an external enclosure. Note that both drives were formatted as FAT32, I have not been able to connect an NTFS drive however I have been playing with getting the FUSE NTFS driver working as an add-on to the linux expansion pack I have posted ( http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137 ) but have not had any success as of yet.

Also note that any drive that is mounted as usb will appear as /mnt/usb1/ and not mount with any given name of the device itself (Such as Movies if you named the drive Movies, it would only appear as a list of files on your drive under /mnt/usb1/)

If you are unfamiliar with linux shells and standard usage of the shell for browsing / copying / moving / etc I recommend visiting a basic unix/linux tutorial such as: http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/ to get you started.

Hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    -CJ

Quote Originally Posted by phorensyc View Post
    Cjcliffe:

Thanks for your helpful post. I've been able to add the Telnet feature to the menu of the NAS as outlined, and now I'm trying to move/copy files from a large external hard drive which I am attempting to attach directly to the usb port on the NAS itself.

I have a couple of questions about your instructions for using telnet to move/copy files.

1) Are you mounting drives by connecting them to the usb port on the NAS?
    2) If the answer to question 1 is yes, are the types of drives you are mounting thumb drives or something else? I'm trying to attach a Maxtor 500GB external drive in this fashion and I'm getting the error message: "can't cd to mnt/usb1/Music" (The drive name is Music). The external drive is formatted as NTFS.

When I follow your instructions, a file called nohup.out shows up in the destination, but no files are copied over. Can you provide additional insight into what you did to move/copy files?

maybe the next thing we should find out is why its only transfering at 100mbits :P

(if this isn't limited by the hardware)