Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: connect to Windows 7 PC w/o login work around.

Lightbulb connect to Windows 7 PC w/o login work around.

Thanks Syder for posting...

Firstly, configure Sharing and Discovery:

1. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel
    2. Click on the down arrow icons and select ON/OFF as follows:
    Network Discovery - ON
    File Sharing - ON
    Public Folder Sharing - OFF
    Printer Sharing - ON
    Password Protected Sharing - OFF
    Media Sharing - OFF

Next, configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder
    2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
    3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
    4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks' if this doesn't work:

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor (search regedit in the start button).
    MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
    2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
    3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
    4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
    MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManSe rver\Param eters
    5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
    6. Close the registry editor

Finally, restart your PC.

works fine ! Thanks

Thanks for this fix - the only thing that did not work for me (after doing the above) was that I still had to enter a login and password (as guest/blank pass) to access the Win 7 machine on my network... no biggy as I saved it as a shortcut on the PBO Net menu.

As my first post I wanted to thank Patriot_CJ for his help here and on other forums.

Default Homegroups

I also wanted to note that in order to get this working on my Win 7 Ultimate 64 machine acting as my server two things had to happen.

1. I had to enable Homegroups and join my computer to a home group. After this i was able to right click a folder, select share with > Homegroup (Read) and add "everyone" with read only permissions. This allows me to log into the share with no credentials necessary

2. I had a 10/100 switch connected to my router which housed my gaming PC and server PC, my PBO was directly connected to the router.
    PBO could not see my server until I connected it directly to the router. Something to do with either the switch/router combo and Win7 being able to broadcast itself through the switch.

I've got nothing... I've spent the better half two days trying to get this box to see my Windows 7 server. it's a 64-bit OS and I've tried everything I could find on this forum. I really don't want to send this back for another solution...

frustration is kicking now.... ugh
    PBO using beta firmware

Quote Originally Posted by dlsolo View Post
    I've got nothing... I've spent the better half two days trying to get this box to see my Windows 7 server. it's a 64-bit OS and I've tried everything I could find on this forum. I really don't want to send this back for another solution...

The problem isn't the PBO, it's Windows.

You may need to disable the firewall for file sharing. SMB needs open ports.

What is your LAN layout? ( PBO --- Router --- Win7 Machine)

I used to have it like this, PBO --- Router --- Switch --- Win7Server

With this setup the Win7Server could not brodcast propertly over the network.
    Make sure your Win7 machine is on a workgroup.
    Any technical info or setup info is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Exist2Resist View Post
    What is your LAN layout? ( PBO --- Router --- Win7 Machine)

I used to have it like this, PBO --- Router --- Switch --- Win7Server

With this setup the Win7Server could not brodcast propertly over the network.
    Make sure your Win7 machine is on a workgroup.
    Any technical info or setup info is appreciated.
    Sorry for the late reply. As for my setup:

PBO ---> 24 port GigE switch ----> Windows 7 Server. Windows can see the PBO. I can ping the IP of the PBO. My NMT boxes can see my PBO and my Windows 7 Server. But under the NET, there is nothing but My Neighbors and My Shortcuts. Windows Firewall is disabled. I don't run an anti-virus and no 3rd party firewall application. I have edited my group policies and security policies to support anonymous users.

I did get the PBO to find my server once, I was able to test watching my 300 MKV movie. But once I turned the box off, and back on, never got the PBO to see my server since.

My solution (money has been commited) is to build a 12TB NAS. something that I had been putting off for awhile. Hopefully that will solve my issue.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe we'll get lucky and MS will provide an easy fix.
    PBO using beta firmware

My solution (money has been commited) is to build a 12TB NAS. something that I had been putting off for awhile. Hopefully that will solve my issue.
    12TB! I was happy to put together my 1.5 TB NAS. I'm using FreeNAS and it's working great so far!

FreeNAS boots from a 256MB USB stick and then runs the shoebox sized PC I traded for with 2GB RAM and a 2.8GHz P4 and a pair of 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda drives in software RAID1.

That reminds me, i need to reset some of the power saving features. I was having a problem on the network and put them at full power during a diagnostic and haven't set them back again...

@dlsolo

Do you have a home router or a professional router?
    Have you tried moving both off the switch? I know this is not a solution but worth a try.
    Is your Win7 machine added to a home group?