Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of a third party WIFI/WRLS USB stick that works with the Patriot Box?

Default Rokland- a mini 802.11n USB WiFi adapter from eBay

Can anyone confirm that the subject adapter referred to just above works on the BO and transfers at 802.11n speeds? The beta firmware made a major difference in reliable operation of the Patriot USB adapter, but the xfer rate is only about 11 Mbps on my BO according to the popup display in teh beta irmware. My wife's desktop gets 270 Mbps on my network (with dual channel mode enabled on the adapter).

Quote Originally Posted by eghuff View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the subject adapter referred to just above works on the BO and transfers at 802.11n speeds? The beta firmware made a major difference in reliable operation of the Patriot USB adapter, but the xfer rate is only about 11 Mbps on my BO according to the popup display in teh beta irmware. My wife's desktop gets 270 Mbps on my network (with dual channel mode enabled on the adapter).
    Its based on Realtek RTL8191SU-GR chipset, so in theory it should work, but be warned that Patriot is still to release the compatibility list, so all we have to go with right now is the announcement they made that their G adapter is a Realtek based one.

It seems that you have the adapter already, did you try plugging it in the PBO ?!
    Last edited by aasoror; 12-20-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Default RTL8191SU based adapter availability

Meritline at http://www.meritline.com/airlink101-...--p-38742.aspx has an Airlink 101 (RTL8191SU I'm told) based usb adapter for $15.99 shipped. It supports Draft n speeds as well as the legacy B/G.

Quote Originally Posted by eghuff View Post
    Meritline at http://www.meritline.com/airlink101-...--p-38742.aspx has an Airlink 101 (RTL8191SU I'm told) based usb adapter for $15.99 shipped. It supports Draft n speeds as well as the legacy B/G.
    It's small enough to fit even!

Would someone confirm that it works?

Quote Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
    I have just ordered this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-USB-Wireles...item3357e4089c

I have confirmed that it has the Realtek RTL8191SU chipset. Lets hope this works...
    YESS! got this today and it works. I currently only have a wireless G router but the USB dongle works on the PBO. Looks like the BT download speed is around 100kb/s Not sure how that works but that is what is showing up in the PBO BT interface.

I can stream a dvd.iso... haven't tried much else so far. Tried to copy directly but it looks like it takes forever so I canceled it.

So I guess that I can say that wireless N works with the PBO

Default Zonet from Newegg

On beta firmware, using wpa, was able to hook up to my network. Got into my main WIN7 box easy. Saw all my videos and pics. Would not play any video. Bandwidth only 1700Kbps down to 700Kbps. This is on N protocol. Where is the choke and where is the throttle. PBO saw Zonet adapter even when sort of plugged into the back.
    Is anybody able to stream wireless at all? This is weird.

Default Zonet

Just for fun, plugged the Zonet into my WIN 7 machine. Recognized it and installed drivers all by itself. Disabled my DIR-552, and started up the Zonet. Running at 300Mbps on my network. I only have a tiny house. The router is upstairs maybe 25 feet removed from the PBO. There is something wrong with the wireless capability of the PBO. I will eat a hat if an updated firmware fixes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Udok View Post
    On beta firmware, using wpa, was able to hook up to my network. Got into my main WIN7 box easy. Saw all my videos and pics. Would not play any video. Bandwidth only 1700Kbps down to 700Kbps. This is on N protocol. Where is the choke and where is the throttle. PBO saw Zonet adapter even when sort of plugged into the back.
    Is anybody able to stream wireless at all? This is weird.
    Thanks so much for posting these numbers, I was just going to get one of those $20 2R1T Realtek for the PBO, and was going to get a $40 2R2T adapter as well to be able to send transmit from my HTPC at 300 Mbps.

I guess I should be happy with the 4-7 mbps I am currently getting with PBO on my N network (10/100 Asus bridged N router)

Default Bridge vs Dongle

Seeing that I am not going anywhere with a wireless dongle I am thinking of getting a bridge to connect wireless to my router. Would appreciate if somebody would provide some input on this since that would be new for me. I have a DIR-655 router and it has been very reliable for the last two years. The PBO is in the downstairs living room. The router is upstairs in the wife's hobby room wired to her desktop. My desktop is in the garage under the hobby room.
    Distance from router to PBO about 30 feet after some pacing. There are a couple of wallboard walls in between. The garage desktop is wireless at 300Mbps. No problems.
    I need a few hints, advice, or twocents worth.
    Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Udok View Post
    Seeing that I am not going anywhere with a wireless dongle I am thinking of getting a bridge to connect wireless to my router. Would appreciate if somebody would provide some input on this since that would be new for me. I have a DIR-655 router and it has been very reliable for the last two years. The PBO is in the downstairs living room. The router is upstairs in the wife's hobby room wired to her desktop. My desktop is in the garage under the hobby room.
    Distance from router to PBO about 30 feet after some pacing. There are a couple of wallboard walls in between. The garage desktop is wireless at 300Mbps. No problems.
    I need a few hints, advice, or twocents worth.
    Thanks for looking.
    Have you thought about powerline or coaxial networking as an alternative to WiFi?