Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox NAS SMB and FTP user ( PCNASGB-B )

Default Gearbox NAS SMB and FTP user ( PCNASGB-B )

Hi,
    I am unable to create new SMB and FTP user and I dont see any default user?? All the buttons (New, Modify, En/Disable, delete) are grey.... does anyone got this problem??

Have windows 7.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElBaelrog View Post
    Hi,
    I am unable to create new SMB and FTP user and I dont see any default user?? All the buttons (New, Modify, En/Disable, delete) are grey.... does anyone got this problem??

Have windows 7.
    thanks

You need to have a external attached storage device connected to the Gear Box for you to create and store a user. Also any attached device needs to be formatted by the Gear Box for it to be recognized. Once this is done you should have no issues created users in SMB.

Thanks!! its working now

i reformatted the external hdd attached to the gearbox using the format feature found in the disk utility of patriot's web user setting interface. however, my xp sp3 can't still detect the gearbox as a drive. it was not showing on 'my network places' etc., mapping was no help either. windows kept on saying nas (gearbox) not accessible and that a permission is needed to use this resource and finally to contact the administrator of the server to have access. i'm the administrator and have followed everything to the letter. any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by larkin View Post
    i reformatted the external hdd attached to the gearbox using the format feature found in the disk utility of patriot's web user setting interface. however, my xp sp3 can't still detect the gearbox as a drive. it was not showing on 'my network places' etc., mapping was no help either. windows kept on saying nas (gearbox) not accessible and that a permission is needed to use this resource and finally to contact the administrator of the server to have access. i'm the administrator and have followed everything to the letter. any ideas?
    Hello,

Did you make sure to create an SMB user account first?

no, i didn't. i'm a veritable novice to networking and nas, any help say a concise step-by-step guide on how to create a smb account will go a long way at least for me.

Hey Larkin,

1) With the Gearbox connected Via Lan and a USB drive attached, run searchdisk utility from cd to detect and access Gearbox.

2) Gearbox should assign an IP, Hit connect.

3) Default User and Pass should be 'admin' 'admin.'

4) Check Status under Disk Info. Drive should be unformatted. Under Disk utility hit format.

5) Check Status, drive should be formatted now.

6) Hit SMB Server and create a desired User account Name and Password.

7) Your SMB account should now be enabled. To access it go to C:\ My Network. (Make sure Discovery Mode is enabled) It'll ask you for Name and Password. Should be the same one you created in Step 6.

...You can create a new SMB user/profile, make sure each account is enabled or Public is enabled. To access each user it would be the same user and pass in step 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_VL View Post
    You need to have a external attached storage device connected to the Gear Box for you to create and store a user. Also any attached device needs to be formatted by the Gear Box for it to be recognized. Once this is done you should have no issues created users in SMB.
    Is there any way around having to format through Gear Box?

I really don't want to have to format everything I already have. It will be a total PITA and kinda defeats the purpose of this product in my opinion.

I just want to be able to plug existing drives in and get the info that is on them onto different computers on my network. This would make me have to buy another whole external hard drive just to back up my existing one just so I can format it for use with the gearbox.

If I can find a way around that this product rules.

EDIT: using xp and vista
    Last edited by GearBoxHead; 12-22-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: add system info

thanks so much! it really helped.

Caveat: this is how I did it, I’m not sure if this process will work for others, hope it does.

How to create an smb login or user account in your gearbox’s web ui:

go to your gearbox’s web ui => hit smb server => click ‘new’ tab and set your username (e.g. public) and password (it might take some time for the settings to take effect), set it to enabled and for access, RW/RO or just RO.

How to map smb user account on windows xp to make it appear on your windows explorer or My Network Places as one of your drives:

click 'start' on your windows => click 'my network places' => click 'tools' drop down menu => click 'map network drive' => choose a drive to assign for your nas (e.g. drive: X) => on the folder box, type your ip address and public (e.g. \\192.xxx.x.xxx\public) => next a 'connect to smb' pop up will prompt you for your username and password, type in 'public' for username and your password then hit 'ok' button => a windows explorer page will pop up showing your nas drive.

Quote Originally Posted by GearBoxHead View Post
    Is there any way around having to format through Gear Box?

I really don't want to have to format everything I already have. It will be a total PITA and kinda defeats the purpose of this product in my opinion.

I just want to be able to plug existing drives in and get the info that is on them onto different computers on my network. This would make me have to buy another whole external hard drive just to back up my existing one just so I can format it for use with the gearbox.

If I can find a way around that this product rules.

EDIT: using xp and vista
    Hello,

Unfortunately this is the only method to get usb devices to register at the moment. I'll check with the GB development team to see if there are any fw updates to fix this. Stay Tuned.