Thread: Corza FW Upgrade & Shutdown Issues

Exclamation Corza FW Upgrade & Shutdown Issues

I just populated my new Corza with 2 1TB Hitachi drives with the expectation of creating a RAID1 configuration.

After seeing that there were 2 FW upgrades available, I decided to install them both prior to formatting the drives, so that I wouldn't have any data loss.

I "performed both upgrades" using the FW upgrade link via the web interface. I quoted that phrase because I'm not sure that either upgrade actually happened.

To upgrade, I pointed the web interface to each update in turn and hit the "upgrade" button, and my web browser and machine load both indicated that there was something clearly going on. After awhile, the browser indicated that the frame data was no longer available. I clicked on another link and got a refreshed frame with status.

I did this for FW version 1.5 (Patriot_v_1.5.tar.gz) and v1.51B (Patriot_v1.51B-021209.tar.gz). I then proceeded to go through a similar SW update process to add the UPnP SW (UPnP.bz2) and the torrenting support (torrentflux-1.142B.bz2).

After doing all this, I looked at the Status link (I think that's what it's called, I can't currently see the page) and it showed FW v1.5. After performing the upgrades, I would expect to see v1.51B, so I became suspicious.

Looking at the current "Corza English Manual.pdf" file, p40 ("Firmware Update Process"), I see that "Once the update process is completed, the system will
    reboot and ask for username and password to login the system
    ". This did not occur during either of my "upgrades".

After seeing this, I decided that I would reboot the Corza, to see if the FW upgrades had indeed been properly installed. I went to the "Turn Off Server" link and hit the "Turn off" button. I got the following response (see attachment for screen shot):

Shutdown.....
    The browser will be close.
    Time has passed for 54 minutes 18 second

The time continues to increment. I can try to guess what's happening, but can anyone tell me what's happening?

Thanks in advance for any concrete information that you can provide.

/dzmyth.

Question Should I see "v1.51B" after upgrading the FW?

I eventually power-cycled the Corza and then tried to move onto trying to make it work.

I formatted the disks together using the RAID1 configuration and then moved onto setting up the device.

In my browser, Firefox v3.5.6, I can only see the "Basic" heading at the top of the web page -- I cannot see the "Control Panel" and "Personal Information" headings. I assume that there are other massive complaints about this elsewhere. (EDIT: This seems to be the same with IE, although I have an ancient version, 6.0.XXX).

To find the "Control Panel" menu, move your mouse to the right along the black bar until the "http://192.168.1.XXX/nav.cgi?foldName=basic&localePreference=en" link changes to "http://192.168.1.XXX/nav.cgi?foldName=adm&localePreference=en". Move your mouse further to the right to get the "Personal Information" menus. Even further to the right there is a logoff option.

After I was able to find the "Control Panel" menus, I tried upgrading the FW using the "Maintenance"/"Firmware Upgrade" feature, much the same as I did before, with the same results.

My expectation is that when the FW is successfully upgraded that the correct version will appear when I go to "System"/"Information". What appears after I have seemingly taken the proper steps to upgrade to v1.51B (using the "Patriot_v1.51B-021209.tar.gz" file) is "v1.5".

Is this correct? Shouldn't I see "v1.51B"?

Also, "System"/"Turn Off Server"/"Turn off" still does not work. I would expect that power would be cut and that the Blue LED will (obviously) go off.

Can anyone else tell me if this is what happens with their Corza? I am leery of putting any mission-critical data on this box based on what I have seen so far.

Comments?

/dzmyth.
    Last edited by dzmyth; 12-20-2009 at 03:36 PM.

dzmyth,

I have the latest firmware installed, I can confirm that after logging in am automatically shown the information page and this shows me 1.51B as the firmware version.

However, the shutdown option doesn't work for me either which is a real pain. You'll have to use the switch on the back of the unit.

And the media server is a bit hit and miss too...

Question Follow-up Questions...

eff_cee,

Thanks for the reply!!

How did you upgrade your FW?

Here's specifically what I did:

I am using FFv3.5.6 on a remote WinXP machine. I use the Control Panel/Maintenance/Firmware Upgrade menu, I browse to the local upgrade file (Patriot_v1.51B-021209.tar.gz) that lives on the WinXP machine and I hit the "Upgrade" button.

After that I get the "Upgrading" message in large blue chars, my XP machine's processor pegs for 5-10 min and eventually I get the "page not available" message in the browser frame that previously contained the "Upgrading" message. I refresh/repost and I can see the Corza again, but it doesn't indicate the new FW version.

Questions:
    • Is the browser expected to act as a server? If so, I'll have to enable server functionality within my SW firewall.
    • Do I need to enable pop-ups in my browser? I recently ungraded to FFv3.5, but previous versions always indicated when a page tried to display a pop-up. I didn't see any evidence of this.
    • Does the zip'd tarfile need to live on the Corza itself? I would think not, since the browser interface should allow the file to live anywhere, as long as it's entirely available.
    • Do I need to use a specific browser? IE-only?
    • Do I need a specific version of WinXP? SP3?

I would expect that if any of these were so, it would be mentioned in the documentation.

If you can let me know what steps you used, I can try them exactly, rather than continuing to experiment.

FWIW, the "Restart" function seems to work OK, just not the "Turn off".

I also tried to install the BT functionality (torrentflux-1.142B.bz2) using the SW Upgrade menu and had similar issues. The "TorrentFlux" option doesn't appear under the "Network Service" menu after the install.

Thanks again for your reply and for any future help that you or anyone else can provide!

/dzmyth.
    Last edited by dzmyth; 12-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzmyth View Post
    eff_cee,

Questions:[*]Is the browser expected to act as a server? If so, I'll have to enable server functionality within my SW firewall.
    Nope, don't think browser is doing anything... Incidentally, have you tried the corza utility instead ?

[*]Do I need to enable pop-ups in my browser? I recently ungraded to FFv3.5, but previous versions always indicated when a page tried to display a pop-up. I didn't see any evidence of this.
    Nope, no popups and I have them disabled too

[*]Does the zip'd tarfile need to live on the Corza itself? I would think not, since the browser interface should allow the file to live anywhere, as long as it's entirely available.
    Nope, I upgraded from a network location no probs

[*]Do I need to use a specific browser? IE-only?
    Nope, I'm using FF3.5

[*]Do I need a specific version of WinXP? SP3?
    Doubt it very much, I used xp sp3 though.

I would expect that if any of these were so, it would be mentioned in the documentation.
    Hmmmn.

I also tried to install the BT functionality (torrentflux-1.142B.bz2) using the SW Upgrade menu and had similar issues. The "TorrentFlux" option doesn't appear under the "Network Service" menu after the install.

/dzmyth.
    I had the exact same issue as you.... I initially had to use the 1.5 firmware to see the torrentflux link. Not sure what happened, but after I reformatted the disk and upgraded to 1.51B a few days later, the link stayed.

Could you be having firewall issues ? have you tried disabling the firewall on the device the tar file is on ? If you telnet onto the corza, can you ping the device the firmware tar is on ?

Have you definitely formatted the disk OK first ? Did you use FAT32 or EXT ?

Question Answers & more follow-up Qs

Thanks for your excellent reply, eff_cee!!

Quote Originally Posted by eff_cee View Post
    Nope, don't think browser is doing anything... Incidentally, have you tried the corza utility instead ?
    Do you mean the "Corza_setup.exe" utility that's in a .zip file on the web site? AFAIR, this was used only to locate the Corza on the network. I'll check the "Application Guide" CD that came with the device....

I had the exact same issue as you.... I initially had to use the 1.5 firmware to see the torrentflux link. Not sure what happened, but after I reformatted the disk and upgraded to 1.51B a few days later, the link stayed.
    I'm pretty sure that the device shipped with the v1.5 version of the FW but I don't see the link at all. This is partially why I don't think that I have been successful at updating the FW/SW.

BTW, why did you reformat?

Could you be having firewall issues ? have you tried disabling the firewall on the device the tar file is on ? If you telnet onto the corza, can you ping the device the firmware tar is on ?
    This is a definite possibility. I haven't yet tried to telnet into the box, but I know that I have ping access turned off. I can kill the firewall for the duration of time that it will take to do the upgrade/install.

Have you definitely formatted the disk OK first ? Did you use FAT32 or EXT ?
    I formatted both together using the "RAID Setting" menu as described in Section 3.3 of the "Corza English Manual.pdf" file, "Set RAID Directly without Formatting". I selected RAID1 with the ext3 filesystem. (Do you have an opinion on whether to use ext2 vs. ext3? I did some quick research and ext3 seemed to be the way to go....)

It seems as though the drives are properly formatted, since I can write and readback data to the disk(s).

Interestingly, I did see the format progress status bar when the drives were formatting, but not when I did FW upgrades or SW installs. Do you recall seeing status feedback when doing the FW/SW updates?

Thanks again for your replies! Thanks in advance for any future help that you or anyone else can provide!

/dzmyth.
    Last edited by dzmyth; 12-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Question Different versions of the v1.5 FW upgrade image on distribution CD and on the web?

A quick follow-up:
    Do you mean the "Corza_setup.exe" utility that's in a .zip file on the web site? AFAIR, this was used only to locate the Corza on the network. I'll check the "Application Guide" CD that came with the device....
    The "Application Guide" CD that came with the device contains the identical "Corza_setup.exe" file, which only locates and does basic configuration to the device. It also contains a v1.5 FW upgrade file, "Patriot v1.5.tar.gz", which is *different* than the one provided on the web site, "Patriot_v_1.5.tar.gz". It also has an identical version of the BT update file, "torrentflux-1.142B.bz2" (to determine whether the files differ, I used Linux' "diff").

The v1.5 FW upgrade files from the CD and from the web really are different. I haven't dug in too deeply, but here are some initial findings:

dzmyth-> diff -rwq from_CD/ from_web/
    Files from_CD/ImageInfo and from_web/ImageInfo differ
    Files from_CD/hddapp.tgz and from_web/hddapp.tgz differ
    Files from_CD/rd.gz and from_web/rd.gz differ

dzmyth-> diff from_CD/ImageInfo from_web/ImageInfo
    12c12
    < softwareVersion="v1.471B"
    ---
    > softwareVersion="v1.5"
    32c32
    < DEFAULT_SERVER_CODEPAGE="CP437"
    ---
    > DEFAULT_SERVER_CODEPAGE="CP950"

dzmyth->

This could indicate that the FW update or a portion of it is being loaded in a different location, which could correctly or incorrectly overwrite (or not overwrite) data that previously existed in those locations. It could also mean a different FW starting location. Just a guess....

When you upgraded your FW, did you upgrade using the image from the CD or from the web?

Thanks again for all of your excellent help!

/dzmyth.
    Last edited by dzmyth; 12-20-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Thumbs up Disable any SW firewalls before upgrading FW/SW

To quote the great New England Patriots receiver/defensive back Troy Brown: "Bingo! I got a Bingo!"

This is a definite possibility. I haven't yet tried to telnet into the box, but I know that I have ping access turned off. I can kill the firewall for the duration of time that it will take to do the upgrade/install.
    I killed my SW firewall and everything worked great.

Interestingly, I did see the format progress status bar when the drives were formatting, but not when I did FW upgrades or SW installs. Do you recall seeing status feedback when doing the FW/SW updates?
    After disabling the firewall, I was able to see all dynamic status bar changes that occurred during the FW/SW updates.

FWIW, I searched the "Corza English Manual.pdf" file and found no reference to firewalls. I also searched the forums and also didn't find anything appropriate.

To reiterate for anyone else who may have this issue in the future:
    Disable any SW firewall that may by running on the machine that is running the browser that you are using to access the Corza during FW/SW updates.
    Thanks x 10^6 to "eff_cee" for helping out!

/dzmyth.

Thanks 10^6 to "eff_cee" for helping out!
    No probs, glad you got it sorted. Oh and the reason I reformatted in the first place was to try get the mediaserver running properly again.