Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriot Torqx M28 Firmware

Question

Quote Originally Posted by magic-man View Post
    Running 19C1Q against advise of patriot_ben...
    All is well....
    FWIW, TRIM in Win 7 is way overrated. The GC works better, especially if you logoff and let the machine sit at the logon screen for 20-30 minutes to force GC.
    I got tired of waiting for an answer from Patriot. I installed the m28 128GB drive and installed Win 7-64. My Vista-64 took 50-70 seconds to boot. With the M28 I now boot in 10-12 seconds (that is from power on to a useable desktop)!!

Guess what? The drive shows up as a SamsungMMCRE28G5MXP in Device Manager! So upgrading the firmware should cause no warranty problems because the disk is labelled as a Samsung.

I plan to image the m28 and then upgrade it to the Samsung 190Q1 software to get the GC. It seems that there are 2 different firmware versions on the m28. The first one is the 1801Q1 with an upgrade to 1901Q1, the second is the 180C1Q1 with an upgrade to 19C1Q. Wish I knew WTF was going on with Patriot's silence on the whole thing.

Ces't Cera Cera, I'll let y'all know how it works for me.

Good luck... If U need help to figure out the bootable USB (DOS) thing, let me know.

AND..... If it doesn't work out and all your thermonuke missles launch (Y2K Paranoia), don't come running to me!
    Last edited by magic-man; 01-30-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drexyl View Post
    I plan to image the m28 and then upgrade it to the Samsung 190Q1 software to get the GC. It seems that there are 2 different firmware versions on the m28. The first one is the 1801Q1 with an upgrade to 1901Q1, the second is the 180C1Q1 with an upgrade to 19C1Q. Wish I knew WTF was going on with Patriot's silence on the whole thing.

Ces't Cera Cera, I'll let y'all know how it works for me.
    .... If we don't hear from you this week, we know it bricked your drive!

i hope his drives is already running. iŽd like to do the same but i would prefer an "official" 18c1q update for those who are stuck with that 1801q FW.

greets

@drexyl: please let us know if it functions

Quote Originally Posted by magic-man View Post
    .... If we don't hear from you this week, we know it bricked your drive!
    I'm still up and running. I want to make an image backup before I load the Samsung firmware, but my damn DVD drive keeps telling me I have bad media. I'm going to try a firmware upgrade on the DVD and if that doesn't work, I'll try to find out which types of DVD's work with my LG drive.

Or, I'll just go buy a new drive. Aren't computers fun??

Thanks for the offer to help me with setting up a Flash drive as bootable, MM.
    Can I use my 256 MB drive or do I need a bigger flash? Where can I get the software to meake it bootable? I tried Microsoft and got nowhere.
    Last edited by drexyl; 02-02-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by drexyl View Post
    I'm still up and running. I want to make an image backup before I load the Samsung firmware, but my damn DVD drive keeps telling me I have bad media. I'm going to try a firmware upgrade on the DVD and if that doesn't work, I'll try to find out which types of DVD's work with my LG drive.

Or, I'll just go buy a new drive. Aren't computers fun??

Thanks for the offer to help me with setting up a Flash drive as bootable, MM.
    Can I use my 256 MB drive or do I need a bigger flash? Where can I get the software to meake it bootable? I tried Microsoft and got nowhere.
    DVDs are fun (NOT!) I use cheap USB drives for backups now, since they are real cheap!

256 MB is fine. 32MB is fine too.

Default Update

I've just received official word that we will be releasing a firmware update for our Torqx M28 drives.

For all drives manufactured before February 1st, 2010, we will provide the flash file and instructions next week. Firmware will require a bootable floppy or usb flash drive and will not require a secondary boot drive, only the drive that you are flashing to.

Going forward, we will be shipping drives with the latest firmware, VBM1901Q, to our resellers starting February 1st, 2010.

To determine which firmware you have, and if a firmware flash is necessary (anything before or not VBM1901Q) you can use the following software:
    HDtune
    http://www.hdtune.com/
    Chrystal Disk Info
    http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html

Smile

Thank you Patriot_Ben!! And thank you Patriot for listening to your customers. So the information initially given to us of a firmware patch coming around the end of January was correct after all!

Magic_Man: Thanks for the info on boot flash size. Very timely. I've decided to use an external HD for my image, I need about 150GB. Got carried away after initial install and forgot to image the disk with only the OS on it.
    Last edited by drexyl; 02-03-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Patriot_Ben: Does it matter if I have version VBM180Q1 instead of VBM18CQ1 when I go to upgrade my m28?? I'd rather not brick it!
    Last edited by drexyl; 02-09-2010 at 01:57 AM.