Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Player Firmware Wishlist

Default Media Player Firmware Wishlist

My #1 beef with this machine is subtitles by default, and 4 button presses to disable. For mkv, bluray rips with subtitles embedded being the majority of the files I'm running in this machine, this is a royal pain. I would like a system menu option saying subtitles by default (yes/no). Please. Pretty please.

Second, fix networking with Windows 7.

That's it from me. For now. Thanks for making this box office unit. Please make it better with regular firmware updates.

I also agree with subtitles off by default.

I would like to see the audio issue with spidf/hdmi fixed.

The movie preview option is cool but it would be nice to stop the preview from playing. Also for the movie to start where the preview ended.

A sleep timer would be ideal, also internal hdd power off when using USB devices.
    Last edited by frankenberrie; 11-27-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    My PC:
    Intel Q9550 MSI P35 8GB OCZ 1066 ATi 5870 WD 640GB Black x 2 Raid 0 700W OCZ Asus 26" LCD

Patriot Box Office & Home Setup:
    Firmware v.PCMPBO25-P02 Toshiba 160GB Sata-II installed
    Vizio VL470M 47" 120Hz LCD
    Monoprice 1.3 HDMI/Spdif Cables

Default My List.

Ok, I'm a pretty techy guy so I may have a few modifications I would make (the important ones are underlined)...

1. Make a AUDSIO setting in Audio to set DEFAULT Audio language for tracks with multiple languages.

2. Make a SUBTITLE setting in Video/Audio to set DEFAULT Subtitle option (on/off/language).

3A. Video Issues: Increase compatibility with files. Some MKV files play perfect on preview, but freezes the box (black screen) upon fullscreen play. This is a bigger issue, and the reason I bought the PBO is because of the playback types. FIXED IN BETA R02. Great! Thanks!

3B. Video Issues:
    *Some high bitrate 1080P video's that leave a lot of green/purble blocks. Some vids, it occurs in a lot of fast/detailed scenes. On other vids its throughout.
    *I still have some divx that say unsupported gcm? very blocky, and unwatchable, but it plays through.

4. Still some studdering on 1080p higher bitrate files. I'm almost sure its not decoding fast enough, because my home network maintains a constant 30-43 mb/s transfer speed.

5. There is no easy way of changing Audio from RAW to LPCM for outputs. There should be a button that changes the mode on the remote. There is a "TV System" button that changes resolution (great choice) but I would like to set up audio the same way. Or better yet, if it detects Dolby/DTS, then it plays it RAW, and if not, LPCM.

6. NEW ISSUE WITH BETA this was working perfect in firmware R01. Can not see protected (username/password) shares anymore. Have to remove Password and Username Security to see the Network share in Vista/Win7. Removing ALL Security is not a fix for the issue. Its like the key to your house doesn't work sometimes, so you leave your house doors open all the time, rather than fixing the lock and key. This is an important fix for me.

7. When MP3 playback, it has a information window open at the bottom left of screen (called index), covering your selection window. This window could possibly be lower right, and not cover up the selection window.

8. During mp3/video playback, can it show the bitrate? Similar to the MP3 window, but shows the bit rate (again, preferable in the lower right). Example.
    title: Song.mp3
    Artist: The Singers
    Album: 1st Album
    Lenth: 3:36
    Bitrate: 160kbps

9. Cover Art for movies/music. For movies, the preview window is being unused when browsing through folders. If there is a jpg file inside the folder with the same name it should show the jpg. For music, its not as important to me, but would be a nice option.

Sorry, these arent complaints, but just things to make the Patriot Box Office a better device. I am still happy with my PBO, but think it can be so much better. Thanks for listening, and hope I get some responses from Patriot. The support here is already better than the Asus Oplay. Lets hope you guys can get Realtek to make firmware better and faster released.

Thanks.
    Duckmanx
    Last edited by duckmanx; 12-04-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckmanx View Post
    3. Increase compatibility with files. Some MKV files play perfect on preview, but freezes the box (black screen) upon fullscreen play. This is a bigger issue, and the reason I bought the PBO is because of the playback types.

6. There is no easy way (at least none that I know) to scroll page up/down. When I have over 2000 mp3 files and I want to scroll down page by page instead of 1 song at a time. This is very painful.
    3. If you disable preview, the MKV files, at least for me, play just fine, definitely a firmware glitch here.

6. If you use the prev and next buttons, scroll will be by page.

One very simple thing I would like to see in the next firmware is time remaining when you bring up the display (using display button). It shows all other info about the file except time remaining. Maybe implement a time delay on the display too, to automatically turn off after 5 seconds rather than requiring 2 more keypresses to turn off.
    Last edited by gadgetsnbeer; 11-27-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added info

yes the menu is not so good
    ok I am using mine to play dvd movies I have on a external hard drive ,once I get to the folder were they are located which is a chore. Then it only shows about 6 at a time I may have hundreds of movies. And then they only show from a to z. I like to see latest movie I added first but really I like to see many more files at one time to scan what we like to watch
    having to arrow down one at a time is so bothersome and slow

I've never thought about disabling preview because its worked for my first 10 files. I dont need it, I guess it was always a wow factor in browsing.

Secondly, I will try the prev and next buttons when I get home.

Thanks GagetsnBeer. I'll try them as soon as I get home. Your solution to my Page Up/Down worked very well. Thanks Gagetsnbeer.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetsnbeer View Post
    3. If you disable preview, the MKV files, at least for me, play just fine, definitely a firmware glitch here.

6. If you use the prev and next buttons, scroll will be by page.

One very simple thing I would like to see in the next firmware is time remaining when you bring up the display (using display button). It shows all other info about the file except time remaining. Maybe implement a time delay on the display too, to automatically turn off after 5 seconds rather than requiring 2 more keypresses to turn off.
    Last edited by duckmanx; 12-03-2009 at 06:10 AM.

1. The subtitle issue is a pain, I agree but Ive found this issue with several other .mkv file players for the pc.

2. The .mkv feature was the ONLY reason I purchased this device. WD TV did not play audio on most of my files so after 3 players, I chose PBO. Please fix this issue.

3. Is there any way to have a "next chapter" type of feature when trying to foward a video file instead of going to 32x foward?

sticky.. we'll keep an eye on this

couple of quickies :

- Control the speed of the FAN (Manual preset speed or Auto based on the temperature of the chipset).. or at least the ability to turn on/off (without the need to openup the box)

- Ability to check the currently installed firmware version from the system info (once you start shipping the new firmware there is no way for one to know if his machine is from new/old batch).

- Picture control : contrast/brightness is already there .. one can benefit from Sharpness plus other conventional picture control : color, tint, hue, saturation .. this would be very benificial for those (like me) who hasn't dedicated picture controls for each input.

- Arabic subtitles

and can I shamelessly ask for web enabled content ..? I am not going to elaborate more on this .. but I guess those of you who have been monitoring the NM players know what I am talking about.
    Last edited by aasoror; 12-03-2009 at 06:29 AM.

I often pause my video and notice a screen saver does not kick in. It would be nice if the screen would dim after a minute of being paused.

Also under screensaver the option to select when the saver kicks in... 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5.... And so on
    My PC:
    Intel Q9550 MSI P35 8GB OCZ 1066 ATi 5870 WD 640GB Black x 2 Raid 0 700W OCZ Asus 26" LCD

Patriot Box Office & Home Setup:
    Firmware v.PCMPBO25-P02 Toshiba 160GB Sata-II installed
    Vizio VL470M 47" 120Hz LCD
    Monoprice 1.3 HDMI/Spdif Cables