Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: M28 Windows 7, FirmWare, TRIM, Optimizations, Etc...

As I stated in my benchmarking one, I won't use crystal due to write testing.
    My drive is the M28 64 Gig...
    BTW... We used crystal when we burned out the OCZ... (although it took a LOT of runs (I mean A LOT)!!!!)
    And it does little harm as long as U don't run it too often with write testing on (maybe once a month).

The main object of the articles is to get the 90% of users up to speed without getting to picky about the tweaks or causing too much degredation... Windows 7 utilizes reads 95% of the time, so that is where most of my concentration was (except the things I put in to lower writes to the SSD).
    Last edited by magic-man; 02-23-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Default question?

how do you "TEMP FILES... IF you have another NON SSD drive installed, I would move the TEMP and temporary internet files to them."

another question: doesn't superfetch run in the ram?

one more question: what do you find you need the paging file for with 8 gb ram? i have found ive never needed it for anything just curious why you think this or what you have found that needs it

could you also explain: You can also turn off Windows reliability monitor. I will post a short tutorial if you want
    thank you for your knowledge
    Last edited by obamaliar; 02-23-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magic-man View Post
    There are a lot of sites and programs out there that are touting how important benchmarks are to your SSD and I agree, to a point. One of the problems in most benchmarking programs is equalization of results.
    My benchmark will NEVER equal yours unless we have the exact same hardware and software installed, including drivers, etc. They DO give a good general indication of potential performance if we follow a few ground rules to try to keep things equal as follows:

REMEMBER: Over 95% of Windows 7 are READS, we need to be mainly concerned with READ speed.

1) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT do the write benchmarking. Each memory cell on a SSD has a set number of times it can be written to. The controller keeps track of the number of writes to a cell and makes it read-only when this value is met or exceeded. Most of the write benchmark programs out there write all across the SSD several times to every open cell either at the block level or file level then erase the block/file. Then the controller is left to clean up the mess, hurting performance and drive life. I watched an OCZ tech burn out one of their SSDs running write benchmarks over and over for several days non-stop. The drive became read-only after a slowdown of 98%.
    2) To eliminate the differences in services running, software installed, work-loads, etc. do your READ testing in SAFE MODE. This mode has the least things interfering with the READ test.
    3) Lets settle on a bench-marking tool that can do no harm. Personally, I use HDTUNE 2.55 free (not pro): http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
    It does not even have write testing installed in the program.
    3A) Lets all use the same testing parameters (settings) in the program. In HDTune 2.55 free, click the options icon at the top next to the diskette icon. Click on the Benchmark option and select 8 MB block size. You can also move the slider up to fast, since we are testing an SSD and the 'accurate' setting makes no difference in the benchmark stats on an SSD (just takes longer to get results).
    4) Run the benchmark 3 times, writing down results after each run. Use the highest one. Even in safe mode, there are services running that can throw off a read benchmark, so running 3 of them gets you inside the 'service free' window.

We can then go to safe mode and run the benchmark and see. Here is mine:
    WEI (Windows Experience) Hard Disk score: 7.2
    HDTUNE: Minimum 189.1, Maximum 247.4, Average 225.5, 0.1 ms, 181.1 Burst.

Next, we cover free tools to help keep things smooth.

here is my hdtune score on boot driveHD Tune: Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 225.5 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 260.8 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 258.2 MB/sec
    Access Time : 0.1 ms
    Burst Rate : 3994.5 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : -1.0%
    wei 7.4
    http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/att...1&d=1266895737
    not in safe mode
    i guess the torqx is faster than the m28
    Last edited by obamaliar; 02-23-2010 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by obamaliar View Post
    how do you "TEMP FILES... IF you have another NON SSD drive installed, I would move the TEMP and temporary internet files to them."

another question: doesn't superfetch run in the ram?

one more question: what do you find you need the paging file for with 8 gb ram? i have found ive never needed it for anything just curious why you think this or what you have found that needs it

could you also explain: You can also turn off Windows reliability monitor. I will post a short tutorial if you want
    thank you for your knowledge
    Changing location of temp files: http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_change_t...ary_files.html

Changing location of IE temp files: http://malektips.com/internet-explor...net-files.html

Superfetch does run in RAm, but it also does a lot of reading and writing. Remember, the object of superfetch is to copy program stubs from SLOW hard disk to fast RAM. With an SSD, this is not needed, since the SSD reads so fast. I recommend you try it with it on, then try it with the service disabled. You likely will not see any slow down, actually a speed up since more RAM is available for other things and there will be a marked decrease in disk writes/accesses.

Windows 7 does use the page file IF PRESENT to keep things effecient. Several programs use it like VMWARE, some games, graphics software, MS office, etc... It will only use it when it is effecient to do so. With 8 Gigs of RAM a 1 GIG page file is plenty. Remember: the page file in Windows 7 is more sequential now, adn therefor more efficient. One of my MS sources also told me that there is some cached boot code in it to speed up boot, but to be honest, I haven't seen a difference. I can tell you that it IS smoother with even a 512 Meg page file on the SSD.
    Try it both ways with your read-world load and decide for yourself. There is no bench-mark for it other than your gut. That is why it is so debated.

ok turned superfetch back off

thanks man!

here is my hdtune score on boot driveHD Tune: Patriot Torqx 128GB SSD Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 225.5 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 260.8 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 258.2 MB/sec
    Access Time : 0.1 ms
    Burst Rate : 3994.5 MB/sec
    CPU Usage : -1.0%
    wei 7.4
    http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/att...1&d=1266895737
    not in safe mode
    i guess the torqx is faster than the m28
    Correct the Torx 128 is faster. HOWEVER.... you are comapring my 64-gig to a 128 gig... Larger is faster in the SSD world. Also, judging by your burst rate, HDTune does not override the indilux cache like it does the Samsung...

The size thing threw me off for a while... Example promo stats from Patriot for the M28 speed:
    64GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 140MB/s
    256GB and 128GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 200MB/s

Torx:
    64GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 135MB/s
    256GB and 128GB: Sequential Read: up to 260MB/s Sequential Write: up to 180MB/s

BTW curious (friend wants to know)... Does the Torx (non-M28) have Windows 7 TRIM support yet?

AND.. to be honest... IF the Torx supports TRIM in Win 7 AND if patriot wants to trade my M28 for the Torx... Hell yes.
    Last edited by magic-man; 02-23-2010 at 04:08 AM.

ok turned superfetch back off

thanks man!
    Admin tools, open task scheduler. expand task scheduler library, then Microsoft, then Windows. Scroll down and click on RAC. Go to the top and select View then show hidden tasks IF RACTASK is not showing. Right click on RacTask and select disable. To re-enable it, you right click it and select enable.
    Here is the good part.... disabling it stops it from PROCESSING reliability data and errors for reliability viewer. The data is still collected in the logs, just stored effeciently. You can re-enable it and see the reliability stuff when U wish. Disabling it saved RAM and some drive churning until U need to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by magic-man View Post
    Correct the Torx 128 is faster. HOWEVER.... you are comapring my 64-gig to a 128 gig... Larger is faster in the SSD world. Also, judging by your burst rate, HDTune does not override the indilux cache like it does the Samsung...

The size thing threw me off for a while... Example promo stats from Patriot for the M28 speed:
    64GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 140MB/s
    256GB and 128GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 200MB/s

Torx:
    64GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 135MB/s
    256GB and 128GB: Sequential Read: up to 260MB/s Sequential Write: up to 180MB/s

BTW curious (friend wants to know)... Does the Torx (non-M28) have Windows 7 TRIM support yet?
    yes it has for 3 firmware upgrades now at least 2 months but i dont like that firmware tried it and went back to fw 1571 cause its way faster i prefer to use wiper tool to trim

Default More on the page file...

Forgot to mention one of the other things Windows uses the page file for....
    Printing... It caches it there rather than in memory while things print...
    Media player uses it too...
    Some other things... BUT like I said, there is no absolute yes or no. It all depends on what you do with the OS... I still recomment at least 512 megs if not 1 Gig.

just want to thank you for all the help!!!!! i didnt know alot of the stuff you were kind enough to share