Thread: Multiple PBO's on one network

Default Multiple PBO's on one network

I got my second unit loaded, cooling mods done and up on the network.
    Each has a static IP, they both work and I can telenet to them fine.

However, only ONE shows up in the WORKGROUP location.

So ... I know I can run TWO units on one net, but not talk to both.

Is there a setting in the configuration files that would allow me to set the ID of one (or both) so I can tell them apart and get to them individually on my net?

Many thanks!
    ... Mike ....

Quote Originally Posted by JPMG View Post
    I got my second unit loaded, cooling mods done and up on the network.
    Each has a static IP, they both work and I can telenet to them fine.

However, only ONE shows up in the WORKGROUP location.

So ... I know I can run TWO units on one net, but not talk to both.

Is there a setting in the configuration files that would allow me to set the ID of one (or both) so I can tell them apart and get to them individually on my net?

Many thanks!
    ... Mike ....
    - If you don't want to mess up with the box, you can just use the IP address to access the internal HDD of the PBO across the network (\\192.168.1.666 .. instead of \\venus from your windows explorer).

- If you would like to mess up with the box, you can follow the instructions here

Thanks for the fast answer ....
    (I do feel like a goof, I asked before I searched )

From the thread I can change the group and name, that is VERY good.
    For my network here I group servers/boxes into seperate group names.
    For example, data servers are in the DATA group, develop boxes in DEVELOP, etc. Very easy now to set up the PBO's in to the MEDIA group.

[Fixed them and it works ... thanks for the fast reply!]

Thanks!
    ... Mike ...
    Last edited by JPMG; 03-22-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPMG View Post
    [Fixed them and it works ... thanks for the fast reply!]
    No problem, enjoy your PBO

Unhappy Cannot change workgroup and netbios name with P61 Rev 2 BC 18

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    - If you don't want to mess up with the box, you can just use the IP address to access the internal HDD of the PBO across the network (\\192.168.1.666 .. instead of \\venus from your windows explorer).

- If you would like to mess up with the box, you can follow the instructions here
    I have installed the P61 Revision 2 BC 18 firmware on the two PBOs I have connected in my home network and followed the instructions to change the workgroup and netbios names, but it does not work. The changes do not stick and the files revert to the original ones.

In this new firmware I have edited the following files:
    /tmp/package/samba/lib/smb_anonymous.conf
    /tmp/package/samba/lib/smb_user.conf

Are there any additional instructions to edit the files permanently?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by LufiG View Post
    I have installed the P61 Revision 2 BC 18 firmware on the two PBOs I have connected in my home network and followed the instructions to change the workgroup and netbios names, but it does not work. The changes do not stick and the files revert to the original ones.

In this new firmware I have edited the following files:
    /tmp/package/samba/lib/smb_anonymous.conf
    /tmp/package/samba/lib/smb_user.conf

Are there any additional instructions to edit the files permanently?

Thanks,
    The reason is you can write on BC18+ firmwares.
    might want to write into the writable space then overmount the files over the original ones.
    Read here for a similar how-to
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Aasoror: When I attempt to access the PBO using the IP 192.168.0.27 I can't get past the "Neighbor Web" login screen. I've tried using just "root" in the username, multiple passwords (it won't accept a blank one) but it just returns a "username error" Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
    Aasoror: When I attempt to access the PBO using the IP 192.168.0.27 I can't get past the "Neighbor Web" login screen. I've tried using just "root" in the username, multiple passwords (it won't accept a blank one) but it just returns a "username error" Any suggestions? Thanks.
    You mean the web interface ?
    There is no user/pass, just make sure you have disabled "user login control" from the "setup -> networking" screen.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Thank you!

I follow the other thread to change the share name from venus to something else. I just need to telnet to the box and issue a couple lines of commands. I guess you may just change each box to a different name then you can see them all. For that, you may need one of the modded firmware. I am using the P61 BC neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by romei View Post
    Wish 3 Granted:

This will work if your root partition is not at 100%
    If you want to name it moviebox, telnet to your box and issue the following commands

Code:
    #telnet 192.168.0.100 (or whatever it's IP address is)
    #mount -o rw,remount /
    #echo 'moviebox' > /etc/hostname
    #mount -o ro,remount /
    #reboot
    The rcS1 will do the rest for you upon the reboot
    Just replace 'moviebox' to 'whatever' you want.
    Last edited by tourist; 01-31-2011 at 08:46 PM.