Thread: How do I access FTP server from outside my network?

Default How do I access FTP server from outside my network?

Hello,
    I have set up my GearBox to function as an FTP server. However, I can't figure out how to access the FTP server from outside my network. Could someone please describe how I can figure out what the address would be outside my network?
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Kenneth

Hi,

You need to open port 21 on your router. Please look for your router in this step by step guide: http://portforward.com/

Then go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ to find your external IP address.

Bundi

Its tricky getting external access with FTP. There are loads of different configurations as to what router you have. I used a google search for my router and found both text and photo of how the configuration should be..
    Now it's working great and Iv taken backup of GearBox setup (Iv seen the gadget can/could loose it's data if loss of power etch..)

Iv opened port as this:

192.168.10.100 - From port 21 to port 21
    Iv made several FTP-accounts, as to what access I would grant.. and my friends download with full speed (max 10Mbs)

Quote Originally Posted by johnohol View Post
    Its tricky getting external access with FTP. There are loads of different configurations as to what router you have. I used a google search for my router and found both text and photo of how the configuration should be..
    Now it's working great and Iv taken backup of GearBox setup (Iv seen the gadget can/could loose it's data if loss of power etch..)

Iv opened port as this:

192.168.10.100 - From port 21 to port 21
    Iv made several FTP-accounts, as to what access I would grant.. and my friends download with full speed (max 10Mbs)
    I had lost a lot of time to getting external access with FTP on my NAS Gearbox. Had used instructions on www.dyndns.com for creating a hostname and portforwarding on my router (D-Link DIR-615), but with no seccess
    I can access my Gearbox NAS with FTP only via LAN, but not from outside. Would you be so kind to share your settings? It could be very helpful