Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Mediatomb UPNP Media Server on PBO

Default Installing Mediatomb UPNP Media Server on PBO

If you wish to install Mediatomb UPNP Media Server on the PBO just download the file at this link: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/med...mips2el.tar.gz

This packages can be used as an addon to the existing vendor firmware (no reflashing required) on various embedded devices. There are absolutely no dependencies on external packages, the binaries are statically linked and have no dependencies.

What does that mean? It means that you only have to extract that file anywhere you want on the PBO; yea! even your HDD which is where I extracted mediatomb folder and run it from there. Actually it must be run from the extracted directory. Once you extracted to the PBO just "cd" to your mediatomb directory and enter command ./mediatomb.sh. The first time you run mediatomb it will automatically create the config directory where two very important files will reside: config.xml and mediatomb.db (database).

Now at this point your database is empty; you need to put some stuff in there. There is a somewhat intuitive Web Interface to help you with that. With mediatomb running enter on your favorite web browser your PBO IP Address followed by mediatomb port #49152.

For me it's : 192.168.0.102:49152

Now you have a pretty web interface to populate your database with some nice feeds from the internet or local content; finding the proper link is the hard part. I already run mediatomb on my desktop so I just copied my mediatomb.db database to the PBO (replacing the one created on first startup).

This is as easy as it gets!!!

Unfortunately this optware package is using VER 0.11.0 the latest one is VER 0.12.1 which fix the streaming for YouTube which just recently change the way to handle their feed. Maybe a static optware package Ver 0.12.1 is around the corner you never know.

Enjoy your new functionality on your PBO.

Cool...

Thumbs up

5 stars from me too.
    So an additional line to the rcS and you are done

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    5 stars from me too.
    So an additional line to the rcS and you are done
    Beware that mediatomb must be run from the location it is located so that it finds all the files it requires so you will have to cd to that directory before you run it. In order words you can not enter something like " /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/mediatomb/mediatomb.sh" you first have to be in the proper directory so you need:

cd /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/mediatomb/
    then
    ./mediatomb.sh

This should work fine.

Im running winblow xp...not to up on doing the comands....could you guys dumb it down a bit for me...

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    you first have to be in the proper directory so you need:

cd /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/mediatomb/
    then
    ./mediatomb.sh
    would that work inside a the rCS script ? wasn't there a command to change the working directory ?!

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    would that work inside a the rCS script ? wasn't there a command to change the working directory ?!

cd works fine in a script which is what the rcS file is. I personnally prefer the modular approach even if only two commands are required so:

#!/bin/sh
    cd /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/mediatomb
    ./mediatomb.sh

Save that file as mediatomb.script or whatever you like and then insert whatever you call it in the rcS file "mediatomb.script &". Again I am not sure if a sleep command would be required first. Script are sometimes skipped when run from the rcS script when sleep command is not used. I know that the sleep command is definitely require when dealing with any kinds of mount. You may need the sleep comand to make sure that the HDD1 is properly mounted before the mediatomb script is ran. I haven't had the time to automate the process yet so I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnrg View Post
    Im running winblow xp...not to up on doing the comands....could you guys dumb it down a bit for me...
    Just download the file indicated at the first post. You should be able to extract it using winrar or some other similar program. Copy the extracted folder mediatomb + content onto your PBO HDD (windows share) or you could also put it on the PBO /usr/local/ if you don't have a hard drive on the PBO (See Below).

Window share: Just copy the mediatomb to you PBO HDD1/ share. Prefered method

Now telnet to PBO using your PBO IP address. I think that most people are using the putty software to do that in window.

Once you have telnet to the PBO enter the following:

Code:
    # cd /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/mediatomb
    # ./mediatomb.sh
    Now do not close your terminal window or mediatomb will also close. If you wish to run mediatomb without keeping the terminal window enter the following:

Code:
    # ./mediatomb.sh &
    I think that this will do it but I am not 100% sure I haven't try it yet. You might need a little program named "screen" to actually do that not sure.

If you do not have a HDD in the PBO you can always try this (not tested yet but should work in theory):

Telnet to PBO:

Code:
    # cd /usr/local/
    # wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mediatomb/mediatomb-static-0.11.0-r2-linux-uclibc-mips2el.tar.gz
    # tar xf mediatomb-static-0.11.0-r2-linux-uclibc-mips2el.tar.gz
    # cd mediatomb
    # ./mediatomb.sh   or     ./mediatomb.sh &
    This last part is all done on the fly and I am not home right now so probably some typo here and there but the process should be sound.

Hopefully this help you and not confused you even more. Maybe some window guy here can help you more with the first part of the process.

Im in over my head with this...haha. I can open telnet with command prompt ...after that im lost.
    Last edited by xsnrg; 04-26-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks to snappy's instructions, the installation was quite straight forward. But using it was an challenge. I don't have a clue on what do to with it.

Reading the mediatomb's site didn't help. It was my fault, not theirs, I just don't know the language.

An example of setting up one media file would help.

Thanks