Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Mediatomb UPNP Media Server on PBO

It's in English see this link http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation_overview

Or are you just kidding around meaning that you could not understand the documentation provided ???

Some people seem to have a hard time entering data into mediatomb database so here's an example I think you are going to enjoy. It might even help you understand mediatomb.

So you have entered mediatomb web interface by entering your PBO IP followed by port number 49152 on your web Browser: <PBO IP>:49152.

What now:

The screen is really split up in two parts; the right inside which contain the Database/Filesystems and the left side where you will be adding stuff to your Database. We will now had a video feed to your database:

Step1: I like to keep things tidy so the first thing I am going to do is create a container for my video feed. So make sure that you click on the database on the left side (the database in the tree structure).

Step2: Now click the + sign on the right inside of the right window. A window should pop up.

Step3: In the popup window make sure that the drop down menu (first line) indicate "Container". if not select it.

Step4: The second line is for the "title" of your new container; let's call it Video Feeds; so enter "Video Feeds" inside the box.

Step5: The next/last line "class" should already be indicated as an object.container and that is what we want so leave it as is unless that is not what you have already in which case change it to object.container.

Step6: Click on the add items... button; you now should have a new folder on the left side of the screen under database called "Video Feeds"

Now let's had our video feeds:

Step7: Make sure you select your newly created "Video Feeds" folder on the left window tree.

Step8: Now just has we did in step 2 click the + sign on the right inside of the right window. A window should pop up.

Step9: On the Drop down menu of the popup window select: External Link (URL).

Step10: Now let's enter the "title" for our video feed; let's call it "systm TV"; so enter SystmTV in the box.

Step11: In the "URL" box now type in or cut and paste the following: "http://bitcast-a.bitgravity.com/revision3/web/systm/0105/systm--0105--mediatomb--large.h264.mp4" without the quotes.

Step12: In the "protocol" box the "http-get" should already be there if not enter it in the box.

Step13: In the "class" box enter "object.item.videoItem"

Step14: In the "description" box you can enter whatever you want; I usually just leave mine blank.

Step15: in the "Mimetype" box enter "video/mpeg"

Step16: Click on the "add items...." button.

You now created your first video feed into your database. Now go turn on your TV. Select UPNP, then mediatomb, then video Video Feeds; then Systm and learn everything you want to know about mediatomb in about 15 minutes.

The process is the same for audio except that you would use "object.item.audioItem.musicTrack" for the "class" and the mimetype specific for that audio feed. For mp3 feed use "audio/mpeg" as mimetype.

Hope you enjoy your video.

Cheers!!!

Thank you snappy, your last post was exactly what I was looking for. I will try it in the weekend after I finish the tax return.

Thanks again.

Default -sh: ./mediatomb.sh: not found

Telneting via PuTTY on Windoze,

Venus login: root
    # cd /tmp/usbmounts/sda1/mediatomb
    # ./mediatomb.sh
    -sh: ./mediatomb.sh: not found

Tried
    # chmod a+x mediatomb.sh usr/bin/mediatomb
    AND THEN
    # chmod a+x mediatomb.sh
    BUT in both cases
    chmod ... Read-only file system

Sorry, but what am I missing?...

Thanks...
    Last edited by userX; 05-11-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Did you:
    Just download the file indicated at the first post. You should be able to extract it using winrar or some other similar program. Copy the extracted folder mediatomb + content onto your PBO HDD (windows share) or you could also put it on the PBO /usr/local/ if you don't have a hard drive on the PBO (See Below).
    which is:

If you wish to install Mediatomb UPNP Media Server on the PBO just download the file at this link: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/med...mips2el.tar.gz
    ?

Downloaded "file indicated at the first post," and extracted it "using winrar or some other similar program." Copied extracted folder to USB drive, since no HDD per se.

Will this not work? In which case I should "put it on the PBO /usr/local/?..."

I'll post this now, then run and try this.

Thanks.

Well, if you're using a usb drive, the file will be found at something like:
    /tmp/usbmounts/sdxx

(That's where the usb drive gets mounted- the xx will be b1 or c1, likely).

So something like:
    cd /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/
    ./mediatomb.sh

I've not done this, but snappy's instructions seem to to indicate that this should work.

-wigout

Quote Originally Posted by wigout View Post
    Well, if you're using a usb drive, the file will be found at something like:
    /tmp/usbmounts/sdxx

(That's where the usb drive gets mounted- the xx will be b1 or c1, likely).

So something like:
    cd /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/
    ./mediatomb.sh

I've not done this, but snappy's instructions seem to to indicate that this should work.

-wigout
    I have not tried this on a USB stick; I assume that the USB mounts as read and write could someone using a USB on the PBO confirm. It seem as if the problem related with userX is that the USB stick is mounted as read only.

userX can you see the file mediatomb.sh on your USB stick when inserted in the PBO; just issue the command ls -l and see if the file is there and if the execute bit is set on the file; should look something like that "-rwxrw-rw-" you need the x in there or else your file will not be excutable. This is a must you would not be able to run the mediatomb.sh unless it is made to be executable eventhough the file might be starring you in the face. Linux takes file permission very serioulsly. Once you are in the folder containing the mediatomb.sh file issue the following command.

chmod +x mediatomb.sh
    then
    ./mediatomb.sh

I did not tried all the possibility but it should run anywhere on the PBO as long as the mount where it is located is a R/W mount. I can not try the usb mount thing on my PBO at this time.

USB should always mount as rw because you have options to copy files to and from it within the system menus.

[NB - SOLUTION BELOW!]

Two problems, I think:
    1. mediatomb.sh is not executable
    2. USB is mounted as read only

1. is "the real problem." 2. is only a problem insofar as it's necessary to solve 1.

Not swimming in these waters regularly, I vaguely recall reading that extracting via Windows utilities can result in files that are not executable. (Perhaps someone can clarify this.)

In any case, I decided to start over, and to extract mediatomb *using Cygwin* with the USB drive attached to my laptop.

I then tried to run mediatomb.sh with the USB drive still attached to my laptop.

Good News: ./mediatomb.sh executes.

Bad News:
    /cygdrive/e/mediatomb/usr/bin/mediatomb: /cygdrive/e/mediatomb/usr/bin/mediatomb: cannot execute binary file

I then attached the USB drive to the PBO, and tried to execute mediatomb.sh via telnet.

-sh: ./: Permission denied

ls -l shows:
    -rwxrwxrwx for mediatomb.sh

Three x's, but "Permission denied!"

I tried chmod +x mediatomb.sh anyway, and again got
    chmod: mediatomb.sh: Read-only file system

Should I again consider "[putting] it on the PBO /usr/local/?..."

When I try to
    mv /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/mediatomb /usr/local
    I get
    mv: cannot create directory '/usr/local/mediatomb': Read-only file system

What's up with the "Read-only file system?..."

EDIT: Not sure why, but /sdb1 is being mounted with the ro (read-only) option.

The following solved the problem - i.e., allowed ./mediatomb.sh to execute:

Code:
    mount -o remount rw /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1
    Last edited by userX; 05-11-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: adding SOLUTION