Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Mediatomb UPNP Media Server on PBO

It might be the permissions on the usb drive within windows making it mount ro, you can remount it rw with
    mount -n -o remount,rw /abc
    replace /abc with the path to your usb drive which you can get by typing either mount or df -h

Quote Originally Posted by userX View Post
    Two problems, I think:
    1. mediatomb.sh is not executable
    2. USB is mounted as read only

1. is "the real problem." 2. is only a problem insofar as it's necessary to solve 1.

In any case, I decided to start over, and to extract mediatomb *using Cygwin* with the USB drive attached to my laptop.

I then tried to run mediatomb.sh with the USB drive still attached to my laptop.

Good News: ./mediatomb.sh executes.

Bad News:
    /cygdrive/e/mediatomb/usr/bin/mediatomb: /cygdrive/e/mediatomb/usr/bin/mediatomb: cannot execute binary file
    This will not work; mediatomb.sh is compile to run on an mips processor architecture not an i386 family processor which is what your laptop is.

I then attached the USB drive to the PBO, and tried to execute mediatomb.sh via telnet.

-sh: ./: Permission denied

ls -l shows:
    -rwxrwxrwx for mediatomb.sh

Three x's, but "Permission denied!"

I tried chmod +x mediatomb.sh anyway, and again got
    chmod: mediatomb.sh: Read-only file system
    Looks like your mediatomb fille is executable so that is not the problem. It really looks like your USB stick mount has a read only file systems; very strange I would not expect that. Also check your directory /mediatomb and any parent directory to make sure that they are RW if for exemple /mediatomb directory is read only you will get this problem even is mediatomb is rw; well maybe worth a look. You can use chmod to change the directory permission just like you would any file.

Should I again consider "[putting] it on the PBO /usr/local/?..."
    It's worth a shot I believe that /usr/local is RW and mediatomb is really small so should fit there without eating up too much room. Just check your directory and file permission first or you could have the same problem as on the usb stick

Default Permission / Read-only solved

Thanks for your replies.

Per my edit to my prev. post, and as suggested by scboley, the following did the trick:
    Code:
    mount -o remount rw /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1

try:
    sh ./mediatomb.sh&

This seems like something interesting... except I am a but lost after reading 3 pages of posting... Quick question, is that mean I can now add shoutcast station in the list and listen on PBO?

I guess I will just have to download it and start playing with it and make some sense out of it...

I don't have a internal HD installed, so I guess I will explore the USB option. (humm... maybe a cheapo SD card reader with a pretty useless 128MB SD card will just do the job?)

Time to play (or as I planned) and will report if I have success...
    Last edited by Monkey; 05-21-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Hummm I am getting some error when running mediatomb.sh in the installed dir. I am using P02, I have mounted a windows share and tested it have RW access.

[...]
    2010-02-23 00:02:27 WARNING: Sqlite3 database seems to be corrupt or doesn't exist yet.
    2010-02-23 00:02:27 INFO: no sqlite3 backup is available or backup is corrupt. automatically creating database...
    2010-02-23 00:02:28 ERROR: error while creating database: SQLITE3: (5) database is locked
    Query:BEGIN TRANSACTION;
    CREATE TABLE "mt_cds_object" (
    "id" integer primary key,
    "ref_id" integer default NULL,
    [...]
    CREATE INDEX mt_cds_object_service_id ON mt_cds_object(service_id);
    COMMIT;

error: database is locked

and I have checked the SQL file

/tmp/netb/mnt/xxxxxxxx/mediatomb/usr/share/mediatomb # ls -la
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 21 2010 .
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 21 2010 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 21 2010 js
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1362 Sep 22 2008 mappings.xml
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 3820 Sep 22 2008 mysql.sql
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 2933 Sep 22 2008 sqlite3.sql
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 21 2010 web

===

/tmp/netb/mnt/xxxxxxxx/mediatomb/config # ls -la
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 May 21 2010 .
    drwxrwxrwx 1 500 500 0 May 21 2010 ..
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 4917 May 21 2010 config.xml
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 21 2010 mediatomb.db
    Last edited by Monkey; 05-21-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Hummm. I finally get it up and running...

- I guess I can't run mediatomb from a mounted window share (where I get errors above)
    - Now I am using a 1GB USB stick connected to the back of PBO. I did experience Read Only mount problem at first. remount it as RW worked.
    - I was able to fire up mediatomb.sh and connect to it via web browser from another computer ok.

And thanks to snappy46, just get the test MP4 stream working... this is AWESOME!
    Last edited by Monkey; 05-21-2010 at 04:50 PM.

OK, I have been playing with Mediatomb and currently I am stuck....

I was able to play MP3 files from webserver (e.g. http://192.168.0.2/xyz.mp3)

However I still can't get Mediatomb to play either a playlist file from shoutcast or a direct MP3 stream.

I have tried many things and I still can't seems to see why it is not working... and here are just some of my tests...

I have captured a sample of the MP3 (binary) stream from .977 Hitz by using wget and saved the file as 1074 and 1074.mp3 on my webserver. And both of them were played OK via mediatomb on PBO. So, extension (.MP3) is not a factor, and PBO is able to handle RAW MP3 streams.

However, I have tried to make PBO to play an actual stream (instead of a file from captured stream) and it doesn't seems to work.

I also tried to play pls and m3u using mediatomb on PBO w/o any luck.

Has anyone get mediatomb to play shoutcast streams?

On a side note, I see the newer version suppose to support youtube, but how?

I hope one day we can play youtube from PBO..... (I know that's a 'dropped' feature from the early days....)

I had issue with streaming radio internet feeds even MP3 stream using P02; it did worked with P04 but P04 broke so many things that I eventually went back to P02. The .ogg file extensions are working fine when streamed with P02.

If internet radio is really important to you I suggest you try the modified AC Ryan file until PM decide to support rss and shoutcast radio on one of their firmware. I mainly use mediatomb right now to play video file that for some reason won't play from HDD, Net but play fines using UPNP.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I had issue with streaming radio internet feeds even MP3 stream using P02; it did worked with P04 but P04 broke so many things that I eventually went back to P02. The .ogg file extensions are working fine when streamed with P02.

If internet radio is really important to you I suggest you try the modified AC Ryan file until PM decide to support rss and shoutcast radio on one of their firmware. I mainly use mediatomb right now to play video file that for some reason won't play from HDD, Net but play fines using UPNP.
    Ah.. thanks for the tip.... Have you tried under P05 or P05B? This maybe a reason I will upgrade from P02... sigh.

Now how about YouTube?