Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failure to Access Windows Share from PBO Permissions Checks

Default Failure to Access Windows Share from PBO Permissions Checks

I've posted this information about windows permissions many times and seems this issue still comes up several times a week. If you've done the win7 workarounds checked share permissions and yet still can't access the share look at the following information and see if it applies to your situation. Windows has 2 permissions layers and you have to check BOTH of them to make sure it is all setup correctly.

Here's the deal with windows domain security and the order of what takes precedence and if no domain just skip number 1 as the rest still apply in order:
    1. Domain security and restrictions: if domain doesn't allow anyone access to any part of the drive file structure you're pretty much hosed and never going to see the folder.
    2. System security and restrictions: if there is a system level setting passed by domain security you might can get the folder seen but you have to dive into the folder settings and add everyone access to the folder and its subcontents or you will have what you have now nothing.
    3. User security and settings: highly doubtful that this is what is blocking seeing the share it's going to be 1 or 2 above.

Windows has 2 different levels of security:

1. sharing which you've tried to setup for the movie folder.

2. filesystem which I don't think you've checked which falls under the 3 rules above.

I wish someone would sticky this information somewhere on here because I keep repeating windows permissions follow the most restrictive placed on it. If you gave everyone access to the movie folder in the sharing permissions but at the file level it is set to domain/user access only you'll never see it from a non domain system unless you have the proper permissions to set the filesystem permission at everyone access.

+1

Should be stickied in the network forum!

Default Instructions?

Can you post some step by step instructions on how to address these two layers of security? I can't even get by the logon step, but I'm not sure how to use the information you've provided here to address that (I have Win 7).

Quote Originally Posted by Badaxe View Post
    Can you post some step by step instructions on how to address these two layers of security? I can't even get by the logon step, but I'm not sure how to use the information you've provided here to address that (I have Win 7).
    Yes I would also like to see that. Please.

Here is a Microsoft Technet link for File Sharing. I posted this on another thread before. But here it is again. Hope it helps:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Sam.

Smile Failure to access network shared files

I fixed Windows XP network problems and my problem with PBO access to NAS files were resolved.

1. You need to use Control Panel's "Network Setup Wizard" to set up your network.

2. If you have anti-virus software installed on your PC, you may have to fix your PC registry, following the following guides:

Windows XP Networking Problems

1.Home Network shared files are visible but not accessible
    Antivirus software may cause Event ID 2011
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078

2. You cannot access shared files and folders or browse computers in the workgroup with Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318030

3. How to use the Simple File Sharing feature to share files in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

I set my registry "IRPStackSize" to 18, then everything worked.

Default Why is it a windows issue?

- My shared folder is on win7 ultimate.
    - I can have acccess to the shared folder from other XP/VIsta hosts (user login needed) either wired or wiress via the primary router.
    - my PBO is connected to a client bridge which is wirelessly connected to the primary router.
    - on my PBO, I can see shared folders on other XP/Visa hosts that are connected to my primary router (either wired or wirelessly)
    - on my PBO, I see my Win7 machine name, but login always fail.
    - Why this is a Windowes issue? (as I see many people say that)
    - I made sure in file and printer sharing is set as it is posted in this forum
    - (I did not want to try the registry option since the posting does not match my registry 100%)
    - I have no firewall running
    - Why can't I login?

I have the same problem with my newly installed Windows 7 computer access from the PBO browser. I see My Computer Workgroup, however I am prompted to login and it fails. I have disabled all firewalls, set security on the folders to everyone, set the password protected sharing to off, made the reg hack for everyoneincludesanon. I can get the the Public user shares by browsing the uPnP, but when attempting to access my computer profile with my login credentials, the login always fails. There must be others using win7 successfully?

I have the same problem with my newly installed Windows 7 computer access from the PBO browser

Same problem here. I think.
    The PBO can access files in the users folder, but no where else despite sharing/security options. My users file is on my SSD, so there is not much room for movies & such. Also, creating the users file elsewhere does nothing. Anyone know why the PBO can get to my PC , but my PC can't see the PBO?????