Thread: Read Only Hard Drive

Question Read Only Hard Drive

I cannot write any data to hard drive. I have created new shares, users, checked the give access to all box. Gave all the users listed as writable to the share. No matter what I do, I cannot write to the drive.
    When I telnet to the drive and try to even create a directory as user "root", the shell states it is a read only device.
    It did work on one time when I initialed copied a bunch of media files to the drive. Now all I can do is read what is there. I cannot add to it.

Hey Barney512,

Can you try restarting the unit? Try a re-flash of the firmware and recreate the user credentials.

Firmware:
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...id=839&type=21

What kind of Operating System are you using? What kind of media files were you trying to initialize to transfer? It sounds like somehow the system got locked out.

I have several computers. All are running Windows XP Pro and one desktop is running Windows 7 Pro and one with Win98. All are in the same workgroup. I mean how hard can it be. I have checked the Allow Access to all box and set all the users (myself, admin and even public) to write access. No matter what I have tried I'm not allowed to write anything to the drive to any directory from any computer.

The best I have seen is it would appear to delete a file but with a refresh, the file would still be there.

The only option I can see is to back the drive up and reformat since all the share information is stored on it. It almost seems to be something going on with Linux itself making the whole drive read only.

Not sure if re-flashing the memory would change the shares on the drive?
    I did remove the drive so the Corza went back to factory defaults, redone my users and shares up but did not help. (I only have one user (myself) outside of the admin and public. Like I said, how hard can it be?

Hello,

It shouldn't be this difficult at all. Something might be wrong with the device internally. I would recommend a replacement under warranty. Check your PM, instructions sent.

OK, I took the hard drive out of the Corza and put it into a new
    Valkyrie unit. The only thing I changed on the Valkyrie was the workgroup name. I did not add any users or change any other settings. Now I can read/write to the drive's public files/folders from any of my computers.

The only user setup on the drive was myself. I'm denied access to that folder from the Valkyrie which is what I would have expected.
    (since I did not set up any users on the Valkyrie).

UPDATE:
    As a strange side note, the hard drive is listed as a USB device in the Valkyrie with no hard drive listed. When I attempt to add myself as a user, the Valkyrie reports "No NAS Hard Drive Installed". So I guess after I have my files backed up, I will remove the partition and try again with the Corza.