Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Release 4 Firmware (BETA)

Default Release 4 Firmware (BETA)

http://www.patriotmemory.com/softwar...-FW-V01R04.zip

It adds support for AFP and NFS. I have verified that the unit exports folders via NFS. It exports /mnt/data/public only in my testing. I was able to copy files to and from the unit. This is *nix style NFS, so your local username is used for file permissions on the patriot.

Code:
    root@ClusterHeadUnit02:~# showmount --exports 192.168.1.106
    Export list for 192.168.1.106:
    /mnt/data/public 192.168.1.*

root@ClusterHeadUnit02:~# mount 192.168.1.106:/mnt/data/public /mnt/valkyriemount/ -o nolock

root@ClusterHeadUnit02:~# ls -l /mnt/valkyriemount/
    total 3816
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 501 501 3901099 Jul  8 23:05 IMG_2159.JPG
    I did NOT test if the unit will migrate your data, I simply formatted some spare drives for testing the new firmware. I do not see any reason that users of R03 would have issues R01 and R02 users might lose data, but I have not tested.
    Last edited by BadIntentions; 08-05-2010 at 03:06 AM.

No performance tweaks or some such, I'm guessing?

ETA: I went ahead and installed this on my Valkyrie (previously running R03) for kicks...I'm admittedly clueless about the internal Unix side of things, but it doesn't appear to have hosed any existing settings or data.
    Last edited by redshirtx; 08-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redshirtx View Post
    No performance tweaks or some such, I'm guessing?

ETA: I went ahead and installed this on my Valkyrie (previously running R03) for kicks...I'm admittedly clueless about the internal Unix side of things, but it doesn't appear to have hosed any existing settings or data.
    AFP and NFS added only.

Performance wise:

I still don't recommend using EXT3 unless you desperately need journaling. Use JBOD/Linear instead of RAID0, and don't use RAID 1 unless you really need mirroring. FAT32 is no good for the internal drives.

Using EXT2 and Linear i get ~20 to 25MB/s via gigabit and ftp.

Default Beta another patch?

There is a saying in northern Spain that says, killed the dog ran out of rage
    and I also poor child's grandfather said the gas experiment
    nas returned to the store and exchanged for another real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtw-2ZkTSQ

tell me when to stop the beta versions of the NAS and have done to use

Quote Originally Posted by zeusleon View Post
    There is a saying in northern Spain that says, killed the dog ran out of rage
    and I also poor child's grandfather said the gas experiment
    nas returned to the store and exchanged for another real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWtw-2ZkTSQ

tell me when to stop the beta versions of the NAS and have done to use
    The CHEAPEST QNAP with that interface is the TS-259 Pro, with a shipped price of $599.00 USD. More than four times the Valkyrie. They're adding it to the TS-210 eventually though. Which will be nice, I own a TS-210 and want to play with that interface!

You can get a TS-210 for about 250 bucks, almost twice the cost of a Valkyrie. Same CPU, ram, and chipset. The CPU speed is 800MHz vs 500MHz. The TS210 (right now) is slightly slower than the valkyrie in terms of raw file transfer speed, mostly due to all the features bolted onto it. Thats for my use. Other types of users (notably, CIFS/Windows File Sharing) will see a speed increase with it.

I just got this NAS and threw two WD Green 2tb drives in it. I did Raid Linear and Ext 2 formatting. I plugged a USB external harddrive into the NAS and am copying files by using a computer on the network to do so. I'm only getting speeds up 5kbps, and I see you mention here that you get speeds up to 20 - 25kbps. Is there some way I can better configure this to attain better speeds? Or perhaps the fact that a computer on the network is performing the copy command is making it slower? Any suggestions appreciated!

-Finn

I'm unable to mount via AFP. Any suggestions? Also is there an easy way to disable SMB?
    Last edited by GreggSymington; 08-24-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Default NFS running, how to export a file system?

have installed the beta, and have NFS daemon running. When I issue the
    showmount command to the valkyrie (named diskspace) , I see:

[jerry@unix ~]$ sudo showmount -a diskspace
    All mount points on diskspace:

There are currently three (3) Windows shared directories on the device. I had assumed (and you know the old joke about assuming) that I would be able to mount those shared directories some how. No luck.

I do not see anything special in any of the menu pages that indicates how to share via NFS. Creating a directory page doesn't seem to have anything for sharing, nor can I find where a machine list (or the equivalent of an /etc/exports) would be generated.

I realize this is beta code, but I'm more than willing to test if I can understand how to access.

jerry

Quote Originally Posted by heymanj View Post
    have installed the beta, and have NFS daemon running. When I issue the
    showmount command to the valkyrie (named diskspace) , I see:

[jerry@unix ~]$ sudo showmount -a diskspace
    All mount points on diskspace:

There are currently three (3) Windows shared directories on the device. I had assumed (and you know the old joke about assuming) that I would be able to mount those shared directories some how. No luck.

I do not see anything special in any of the menu pages that indicates how to share via NFS. Creating a directory page doesn't seem to have anything for sharing, nor can I find where a machine list (or the equivalent of an /etc/exports) would be generated.

I realize this is beta code, but I'm more than willing to test if I can understand how to access.

jerry
    Try showmount -e ipaddress

i have had issues with name resolution if i didnt put it in hosts

Quote Originally Posted by BadIntentions View Post
    Try showmount -e ipaddress

i have had issues with name resolution if i didnt put it in hosts
    That did it - the difference being -a vs -e.

[jerry@unix Download]$ sudo showmount -e diskspace
    Export list for diskspace:
    /mnt/data/public 192.168.1.*

mounted without any issues once I got the export point.

So, at least in the beta there is only one filesystem exported via NFS and there's no control as to what machines on the subnet can access it.

Since I had formatted the disk ext3, I was prepared for low performance, and
    I ran a simple test of copying 8 ~14MB .rpm files across the mount point. The
    ~120MB total data copied in 31.51 seconds (according to time command). That
    works out to ~3.8MB/sec. 100Mb from the machine to my switch, 100Mb from the switch to the valkyrie. There is overhead for the copy command involved.
    Will try a large .iso to replicate timings.

jerry