Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Release 4 Firmware (BETA)

Quote Originally Posted by heymanj
    Will try a large .iso to replicate timings.
    Copied single Mandriva 2010.1 DVD ISO

$ ls -l *.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry 4654628864 2010-07-11 19:59 mandriva-linux-pwp-2010-spring-i586.iso
    $ time cp mandriva-linux-pwp-2010-spring-i586.iso /mnt
    0.67user 75.29system 10:55.16elapsed 11%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
    9100040inputs+9091072outputs (1major+228minor)pagefaults 0swaps

sustained throughput appears to be ~7.1MB
    definitely took 100% of one of my CPUs (dual P3 @ 1GHz) according to Xosview.

jerry

Quote Originally Posted by heymanj View Post
    Copied single Mandriva 2010.1 DVD ISO

$ ls -l *.iso
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 jerry jerry 4654628864 2010-07-11 19:59 mandriva-linux-pwp-2010-spring-i586.iso
    $ time cp mandriva-linux-pwp-2010-spring-i586.iso /mnt
    0.67user 75.29system 10:55.16elapsed 11%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
    9100040inputs+9091072outputs (1major+228minor)pagefaults 0swaps

sustained throughput appears to be ~7.1MB
    definitely took 100% of one of my CPUs (dual P3 @ 1GHz) according to Xosview.

jerry
    That leads me to believe the NIC in your PC might be a bit wonky, or not in DMA mode. Could just be i am not used to pIII based machines.

How did you get AFP working? I turn it on and try to connect it through Mac OS X Snow Leopard, however I can't log in. Any username/password doesn't work. I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by BadIntentions View Post
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/softwar...-FW-V01R04.zip

It adds support for AFP and NFS. I have verified that the unit exports folders via NFS. It exports /mnt/data/public only in my testing. I was able to copy files to and from the unit. This is *nix style NFS, so your local username is used for file permissions on the patriot.

Code:
    root@ClusterHeadUnit02:~# showmount --exports 192.168.1.106
    Export list for 192.168.1.106:
    /mnt/data/public 192.168.1.*

root@ClusterHeadUnit02:~# mount 192.168.1.106:/mnt/data/public /mnt/valkyriemount/ -o nolock

root@ClusterHeadUnit02:~# ls -l /mnt/valkyriemount/
    total 3816
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 501 501 3901099 Jul  8 23:05 IMG_2159.JPG
    I did NOT test if the unit will migrate your data, I simply formatted some spare drives for testing the new firmware. I do not see any reason that users of R03 would have issues R01 and R02 users might lose data, but I have not tested.

Default Mac AFPD issues in R4 beta.

I see a couple of issues with afpd (Mac OSX network file system) access.

The configuration files in the R4 beta are set to use "normal" Unix password access for access validation. But the "normal" password file appears to be empty. This is "I think" the reason why all connection attempts fail.

To make it automatically discoverable, you should run the "avahi" daemon

fyi; the R4 beta only exports the /mnt/data/public directory; similar to the NFS server in the beta

Dave

Default User permissions with NFS, AFP

I may have jumped the gun in assume the user permission issues with AFP are related to the password file; I can now see it.

I'm still getting "access denied" messages when trying to use AFP, regardless of whether I try to connect as guest or as a regular user on the Valkyrie.

I've now tried NFS; I'm getting exactly the same results. Mounts are visible; I'm getting access not allowed messages.

Do the NFS and AFP servers on the Valkyrie keep any sort of log files?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft8 View Post
    I may have jumped the gun in assume the user permission issues with AFP are related to the password file; I can now see it.

I'm still getting "access denied" messages when trying to use AFP, regardless of whether I try to connect as guest or as a regular user on the Valkyrie.

I've now tried NFS; I'm getting exactly the same results. Mounts are visible; I'm getting access not allowed messages.

Do the NFS and AFP servers on the Valkyrie keep any sort of log files?

Dave
    Try using root as your local user.
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

Default NFS, AFP permissions

I can manually mount the NFS share as root on a Mac OSX system; it's not usable though so far as the directory appears as read only on the Mac. All AFP attempts from the Mac get "bad username or password"; whether root or regular user.

Starting from a linux system, all nfs mount attempts (whether root or normal user) get

mountd rpc failed: RPC: Can't decode result

If the Patriot Corza firmware still exists (the previous, discontinued, home NAS from Patriot), someone might be able to verify nfs config files against that. NFS worked fine with the Corza; AFP wasn't supported on the Corza.

Dave

Default Why not use FAT 32?

From Bad:
    "I still don't recommend using EXT3 unless you desperately need journaling. Use JBOD/Linear instead of RAID0, and don't use RAID 1 unless you really need mirroring. FAT32 is no good for the internal drives."

I was hoping to be able to remove the drives if I ever have another hardware failure and insert them into a Windows environment to recover data, as I am not a Linux freak...

My current Vakyrie has 2 - 2 terabyte drives, RAID 1, is there a limitation on FAT 32 speed or size wise on Valkyrie? The box does seem REALLY slow.
    Last edited by DrewCrewOf2; 11-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Unhappy /mnt/data corruption?

I recently suffered from a long power outage while on vacation, the Valkyrie had been on UPS, but that wasn't helpful as the outage > 4hrs.

I've since rebooted, and today I wanted to start rsync'ing my data from my desktop to the NAS.

When I first went to issue the NFS mount, I was unsuccessful due to the fact that NFS was no longer enabled on the Valkyrie :-(

Went through the admin website and re-enabled. Should that have been persistent? Once enabled, I attempted to mount and got the following result:

[root@unix jerry]# mount -v diskspace:/mnt/data/public /mnt
    mount: no type was given - I'll assume nfs because of the colon
    mount.nfs: timeout set for Thu Dec 23 18:06:43 2010
    mount.nfs: text-based options: 'addr=192.168.1.30'
    mount.nfs: mount(2): Permission denied
    mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting diskspace:/mnt/data/public

I then telnet'd to the Valkyrie and started poking around. Upon going to the
    /mnt/data directory, and issuing an 'ls', the results were troubling:

[jerry@FA520]# cd /mnt
    [jerry@FA520]# ls -l
    drwxr-xr-x 8 502 501 4096 Jul 14 21:21 data
    [jerry@FA520]# cd data
    [jerry@FA520]# ls -l
    Segmentation fault
    [jerry@FA520]# cd public
    [jerry@FA520]# ls
    not having any entries here isn't a problem, nothing previously stored via NFS
    [jerry@FA520]# ls -a
    Segmentation fault
    [jerry@FA520]# ls
    [jerry@FA520]# cd ..
    [jerry@FA520]# pwd
    /mnt/data
    [jerry@FA520]# ls
    Segmentation fault

Is there any command(s) that I can run to fix this? The SMB side of the allocated storage is working just fine...

Disk is formatted as EXT3

jerry
    Last edited by heymanj; 12-23-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: left out important information

Thumbs up re: /mnt/data/public data corruption

Resolved. Rebooted the Valkyrie and the desktop due to yet another power outage (weather related) and all seems quite happy now.