Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Release 4 Firmware (BETA)

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...-your-Valkyrie

Root access instructions towards the bottom of the first post.

As for business grade NFS for virtualization... HELL NO. You dodged a bullet. This is a consumer/SOHO product. I would be SHOCKED if you found a good, reliable solution that cost less than 400 for a NEW unit. (though, i remain fond of FreeNAS on some mid range hardware for that )
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

Thank you BadIntentions.

root enabled, works just fine.

unfortunately, restarting nfsd with -d and -s (debug / syslog level logging) has no effect.

Modified /etc/exports so that only rw was the option, reran /usr/sbin/exportfs -ra, no luck :-(

Without logging, it's virtually impossible to see / understand why there's a permission error. Valkyrie pings client in question by both name and IPAddr w/o any problems.

jerry

try running ls -l on the exported directory from the Valkyrie, maybe its an ownership issue...

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by BadIntentions View Post
    try running ls -l on the exported directory from the Valkyrie, maybe its an ownership issue...
    Unfortunately, more times than not, the command gets 'Segementation fault'

/sbin $ cd /mnt/data
    /mnt/data $ ls
    Segmentation fault
    /mnt/data $ ls -l
    Segmentation fault
    /mnt/data $ ls -l
    Segmentation fault
    /mnt/data $ ls -l
    Segmentation fault

I've attempted to turn on the syslogd to watch what is happening, but it won't start because it cannot create Socket /dev/log (read-only file system).
    /sbin $ ./syslogd
    syslogd: Could not connect to socket /dev/log: Read-only file system

klogd starts, but since I'm telnet'd in (not on the console) I can't seem to recover any messages it might be displaying.

According to the exports man page on my Linux system (Mandriva 2010.2), using an entry like 192.168.1.*(options) isn't supported, but may work. I've
    tried to hard code ip addr of my client, I've tried 192.168.1.1/22, and I've even added my domain as a line to /etc/resolv.conf and then used *.my.domain(rw).
    None seem to get past the permissions error.

I'm frustrated that it worked "out of the box" when first added to my network, but after a lengthy power outage it no longer works.

I'm wondering if it could it be some other network device (switch, UVerse modem/router) that is really the culprit?

Does rebooting the box make it behave any better?

Quote Originally Posted by BadIntentions View Post
    Does rebooting the box make it behave any better?
    Unfortunately not - it "forgets" all my changes. Obviously the configuration information is stored elsewhere and the standard Linux config files (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/exports) are recreated at boot time. NFS is also not persistent from reboot to reboot. First thing one has to do after rebooting is re-enable NFS :-(

Had a power outage again last night, only this time I was home and with the UPS squawking I was able to power down my Linux machine AND power down the Valkyrie.

Not sure if the Valkyrie has an NFS client, but I've tried the following:

/mnt/data $ /usr/sbin/exportfs -ra
    exportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export "192.168.1.*:/mnt/data/public".
    Assuming default behaviour ('no_subtree_check').
    NOTE: this default has changed since nfs-utils version 1.0.x

exportfs: can't open /var/lib/nfs/rmtab for reading
    /mnt/data $ mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2:/data /mnt/data/public
    mount: Mounting 192.168.1.2:/data on /mnt/data/public failed: No such device

192.168.1.2 is my Linux box, and looking at the log there, I see:

Aug 15 21:25:43 unix mountd[11507]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.30:951 for /data (/data)

Thinking that /mnt/data/public inode was somehow corrupted (which was what was causing all the Segmentation faults during 'ls'), I 'mv'd it to public.old and then did a 'mkdir public'. Tried the mount again, only to have it fail. Apparently there is no support for Valkyrie to be an NFS client :-(

Powered up another Linux box on my network, and it was successful in mounting 192.168.1.2:/data. But received 'access denied' by the Valkyrie when it attempted to mount the exported (or so I thought) /mnt/data/public.

Interesting - I can ping by shortname (i.e. w/o domain), but once I try using domain, it can't find anything. OK - this is something I can work with. Leads me to believe that the UVerse Modem is also doing name serving...

Default Weird data point - M$ NFS client working, Linux not

In my ongoing pursuits to get the NFS server of the Valkyrie working, I attempted to connect to the Valkyrie with my Windows XP box. It saw easily mounted the Samba shares - the Linux boxes have done the same, but when I opened up the 'My Netwok Places' window, I saw the NFS mount /mnt/data/public also!

I had installed Microsoft's Services for Unix (Interix) software a while back and had never had much success mixing NFS client w/Samba mounts on the same machine. This is the first time I actually saw it function. When I double clicked on the /mnt/data/public icon, I saw the contents of the NFS directory!

Meanwhile, the mount request from the Linux system still gets an access denied message.

Code:
    $ sudo mount -t nfs -o nolock diskspace:/mnt/data/public /home/backup
    mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting diskspace:/mnt/data/public
    Now I'm thinking that there is obviously something going on with the NFS client on the Linux systems that would cause such an issue.

Default Correction: M$ NFS client *not* working

I didn't realize that /mnt/data/public was also a Samba share :-(

Was being accessed via CIFS - not NFS ...

Can use smbclient on my Linux machine to access /mnt/data/public

Back to the drawing board, scratching my head.