Thread: Delete files ?

Default Delete files ?

I did a search for "delete files" but nothing came up...

Any idea if Patriot will allow this option? It would be great to be able to delete stuff right from my couch after watching, instead of having to lug the external drive and connect it up to the PC and do it.

Wider filename listings would be nice too (smaller preview window - or none).

And faster scrolling through the file list! I dunno why it's so laggy when push up/down or <back>/<next>...

Actually this more sounds like a thread for the wishlist thread, but my main question is just - will there ever be support to delete files. ?

Actually if they did offer a delete option there most likely would be a flood of requests asking how to recover deleted files and/or about recovery software, not to mention a demand for the "confirm" option, and an "absolutely confirmed confirm" option before a file is truly, irrevocably deleted

You can delete stuff by going to the filecopy menu and selecting what ever medium you want HDD,USB etc ..... and selecting trash as the medium to copy to. This will delete your file. Also I believe that while browsing if you have a file / directory highlighted you can press the menu or option button on the remote (sorry can't remember exactly which one) and you will have the option to rename/delete/add to playlist the file or directory that is currently highlighted. I can not confirm that this last part works for all firmware but all firmware have the trash option in the filecopy menu screen.
    Last edited by snappy46; 09-16-2010 at 01:20 PM.

I believe it is the "option" button.
    File delete function is very common in media player boxes even on the older generation without network connection. I don't think it is considered "danger".

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    You can delete stuff by going to the filecopy menu and selecting what ever medium you want HDD,USB etc ..... and selecting trash as the medium to copy to. This will delete your file. Also I believe that while browsing if you have a file / directory highlighted you can press the menu or option button on the remote (sorry can't remember exactly which one) and you will have the option to rename/delete/add to playlist the file or directory that is currently highlighted. I can not confirm that this last part works for all firmware but all firmware have the trash option in the filecopy menu screen.
    ah I never knew that -thanks! I don't have an internal drive in it, and do all my copying onto my 1TB external while plugged into my PC in the other room, then carry it 3 rooms away into the one with my big screen (although I think this will all change once GoogleTV and my Logitech Revue come in - gotta get the other room wired with internet though, as wireless is useless between the 2 rooms)

I'll also try the browsing>higlight>delete thing. YEP! It's actually "OPTION" while a file is highlighted. Excellent!!!

This is also great because WINDOWS 7 *SUCKS* - half the time it when trying to delete files on my external, it gives these "cannot delete or rename because file is being used by another process, blah blah blah" so I have to boot up my old PC running XP, plug it into that, and delete it. So now I can just use my Box Office to delete everything Great!

Wow, I forgot about the file copy thing that was too clunky for practical use but this options thing in the browser menu is totally new to me! When did they initiate that? I need to wake up once a week and hit all them buttons ..

Quote Originally Posted by billcat View Post
    Wow, I forgot about the file copy thing that was too clunky for practical use but this options thing in the browser menu is totally new to me! When did they initiate that? I need to wake up once a week and hit all them buttons ..
    options -> "delete" was available as early as P02.
    Note that it wont work on network shares (if you have set the sharing to read-only).
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO