Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: P61-Beta Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mpataky View Post
    I probably need to update the Bootcode (any "easy" way to do that??)
    Check the "$5 unbrick" link in my signature.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

I just did mine last week. It costs me less than $3. I've up from BC16 to BC23. Now I could not wait to go home after work today to test the new firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post
    Is the mouse and KB function just plug-n-play? - if so I just tried it and it was a 'no go' - I don't see anything in the GUI to 'turn on' for the M & KB to function
    Here's the modules in question:
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.6.12.6-VENUS/kernel/drivers/usb/input/
    total 80K
    drwxr-xr-x 2 paul paul 4.0K 2010-10-12 20:51 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 paul paul 4.0K 2010-10-12 20:51 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul  47K 2010-10-12 20:51 usbhid.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul  12K 2010-10-12 20:51 usbkbd.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 paul paul 8.5K 2010-10-12 20:51 usbmouse.ko
    I plugged a wireless usb adapter for a keyboard and mouse into the pbo.

typing dmesg | tail gave the following report:

Code:
    usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
    input: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Microsoft� 2.4GHz Transceiver v6.0] on usb-ohci_hcd-2
    input: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Microsoft� 2.4GHz Transceiver v6.0] on usb-ohci_hcd-2
    input: USB HID v1.11 Device [Microsoft� 2.4GHz Transceiver v6.0] on usb-ohci_hcd-2
    under /dev/input/ is both a mice and mouse0 entry.

hexdump /dev/input/mice
    (or hexdump /dev/input/mouse0)

And then moving the mouse around clicking it gives:
    Code:
    /dev/input # hexdump mouse0 
    0000000 fe18 087f 7f00 0008 0802 0200 ff18 1804
    0000010 08fe fe18 1808 0dfd fe18 180e 12fc fd18
    0000020 0817 1500 ff18 181a 1aff ff18 181c 1cfe
    0000030 ff18 181d 1bff ff18 1822 20fd fc18 181d
    0000040 17fc fb18 1810 0cfd fb18 1806 01fe fe18
    0000050 1800 7ffb 0008 187d 7ff6 0008 1878 7ff4
    0000060 0008 1875 7ff0 0008 186f 7fee 0008 186c
    0000070 7fee 0008 1866 7ff1 0008 1866 7ff4 0008
    0000080 1866 7ff8 0008 186a 7ff9 0008 1868 7ffd
    0000090 0008 186b 7ffe 0008 086f 7f00 0008 1873
    00000a0 7fff 0008 087a 7f00 0008 087f 0100 0108
    Which all just goes to show that:
    it's recognizing the mouse
    it's taking input from the mouse

I did not notice a similar keyboard device created and keyboard presses weren't reflected in the mouse hexdumps, but I don't know a lot about devices in linux.

Regardless I didn't see that the mouse or keyboard input was utilized in any way.

-wigout

Had a look at the new PM firmware and it's a good improvement. The interface looks good but I must admit after seeing the medebo interface the PM interface comes a little short for me. I like the ability to add our own IMS feed but it seem limited to just one level. What I mean by that is that you don't seem to had an rss feed there that points to another rss feed; it expect the feed provided to a media (video/audio) not another rss. This is a huge limitation.

Just as an example you can add http://www.metafeeds.com/channel/main/rss and you will see all the items in that rss feeds but selecting those rss feeds that points to other rss feed menu does not works. Hence it would be a long process to enter all the video feeds since you will have to point to every specific rss feed. For example: Although "mevio tech" exist on metafeeds (one stop shopping) I can not access it from there; I need to enter an IMS direct to the video location : http://www.mevio.com/collection/878786.xml and another one if I want the "mevio popular video": http://www.mevio.com/collection/794433.xml

Quite the process; hence the added rss feed should be able to process another rss feed for this function to be useful.

Still this is enough of an improvement for me to give it a test drive for a few days. I could always edit the menu.rss to add the capability required. Unfortunately I stupidly flash the BC18 firmware hence squashfs hence limited in editing anything at this point. I am sure that the BC16 is yaffs so I can try that later. I wander if there are any benefit of running BC18 firmware vs BC16 other than smaller memory footprint????

Anyhow I think this is a good step in the right direction but still a lot of work to do. Hopefully we won't have to wait a year to see the next firmware.

Cheers!

Patriot_Z Guest

snappy,
    great feedback.. a lot of it still serves as ground works for now. There is definitly plans to squeeze more contents in. This beta will probably shipping with a few modification soon in the near future.

feel free to post any feedback that you guys think would make the PBO great, we will try to make up some of the lost time .

KB/Mouse is in the plan, as you guys have noticed. Hopefully can be part of the next update.

Default Asian Characters

Does the latest firmware from Patriot work with Asian character filenames ? In the past, it will get a invalid file error when highlighted. Thanks in advanced.

I agree with snappy. After using medebo the user interface was a disapointment, particularly the 'home' page. The high contrast PBO branding on a plasma, what are you thinking!

I playback SD video and FLAC audio from NAS via cifs mount and wireless g. All good. Don't use internet, RSS etc. Might eventually once I get time for the learning curve, particularly if there are other Aussie's that could help to get ABC iView via the PBO somehow.

Some things I miss which I consider essential considering they're available on other xxxxbo firmware:

- No screen size setting/adjustment.
    - No plasma mode.
    - Inflexible zoom. Why no zoom to width, height or to fill a screen based on size setting.
    - No moviesheet support.
    - Browsing media library was tedious; medebo allows to advance in pages. Maybe it was there and I missed it?
    - Menus appears cut off on the bottom. Can't alter overscan. Perhaps not place as close to boundry.

This is true of all, but still no support for compliant cuesheet with companion flac file. The .cue file is picked up as an ape file but is not parsed and wont play (it plays from track 1 and no ability to move to different track within the flac file). The cue file also messes up the top portion of the screen.

Yes I know, a cuesheet is not a playlist. Still. Even support of CUESHEET stream in the flac would be better than nothing and probably better even that seperate .cue file. Edit: Or CUESHEET added to VORBIS stream which is also common such as with fb2k.

I find the medebo menu layout to be more intuitive; don't know why as both are really just left/right/up/down but still???

Will there ever be a means to update boot code without serial? Am I right to say that other FW have included boot code at times? Setting aside the risk, presumably it's doable?
    Last edited by kudabird; 10-13-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kudabird View Post
    Will there ever be a means to update boot code without serial? Am I right to say that other FW have included boot code at times? Setting aside the risk, presumably it's doable?
    I am sure it is very doable however when PM build the PBO they made a big mistake which I am sure they now realize ...... they did not put/install a soft power down switch on the PBO. Why is that so bad ..... well updating the bootcode using firmware is a dangerous and not always flawless process (look at other forum (ACRyan medebo etc...) and see how many people brick their box doing that using their firmware). Fortunately for those player they only have to turn off power (disconnect the player) hold the power on switch; plug the player back in and off they go into the flash safe mode and total recovery. The PBO can not do that which will could result in a lot of brick PBO RMAed. Granted this could also happen during firmware flash has I experienced but less likely since the bootcode is in control of the process.

I can pretty much guarantee that if PM comes out with a new player a way to do a safe flash / recovery will be implemented. Of course this is just my personal opinion and PM could prove me wrong tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Seal View Post
    Does the latest firmware from Patriot work with Asian character filenames ? In the past, it will get a invalid file error when highlighted. Thanks in advanced.
    What language do you have problem with file names? Make sure you are using unicode for encoding. I can see chinese file names (both simplified and traditional characters) with any firmware from PBO.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    Fortunately for those player they only have to turn off power (disconnect the player) hold the power on switch; plug the player back in and off they go into the flash safe mode and total recovery.
    Actually you don't need a switch to trigger emergency recovery, Xtreamer (doesnt have a power button) can be put in emergency recovery by pressing a specific key sequence on the IR remote. So if PM want to add this feature to the PBO I think they can certainly do so.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO