Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Open Source Firmware for the Valkyrie

Default New Open Source Firmware for the Valkyrie

Currently, I am working on porting OpenWRT to the Valkyrie. The goals for the project are rather clear. It will be (and currently is) 100% open source, It will never have arbitrary restrictions, And the final product should be adaptable to any future linux supporting embedded platform that patriot (or most any other company) release.

Project Completion - 85%

The current status is as follows:

Hardware Hacking
    -Dissection of hardware complete.
    -Serial/Console Access has been figured out.
    -JTAG has not yet been verified
    -Access to bootloader is good to go.

Factory Firmware Hacking
    -Telnet without Firmware update hacked in.
    -Root Telnet also hacked in.

New Firmware Hacking:
    -Linux Kernel boots!
    -Core hardware is detected - SATA, Ethernet, USB, Flash Storage
    -Package Installer Works - Install Cool Software.
    -Installing on flash Sorta Figured Out. Its still really freaking hard.
    -OpenWRT Build Environment setup to work with Valkyrie

Left to do in rough order of priority:
    -Improve Boot Services (Make network come up automagically, a few other things)
    -Initial Config/Format Scripts (Format drives and setup package repos to make it all nice n sexy)
    -LUCI/Web Interface Hacking (Nice, and very needed for most people)
    -GPIO/Lights + Buttons (Nice, but not needed)
    -OpenWRT patches cleaned up and submitted (Give back to those who have mapped this wilderness for us...)

Anyone who wants to help is asked to message me. If you are not comfortable with linux command line, I am not too sure how i can get you to help, but I will try to find a way. The big thing i myself cannot do is the web interface. I think we should stick with LUCI, but we shall see.
    Last edited by BadIntentions; 02-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

I'd be happy to help out. Very comfortable with the command line. I have a virtually unused Valkyrie that I wouldn't mind risking, and have everything I need for a serial connection if needed. Perhaps an irc channel somewhere to collaborate?

Default great!!!!!!

it is very great to see that a project like this is under way. and i would like to take a moment to say that i have being watching your work BadIntentions and i would like to say thanks for every thing you have done and starting this project. i have a valkyrie dual bay nas that i am happy to tinker with it. i don't have a lot of experience with working on this sort of thing but i can program in java and a little c++ and i have a bit of experience with mod chipping video game consoles. i am willing to learn so if there is anything i can contribute please let me know.

Would love to see a port of openWRT for the valkyrie. My time and expertise if somewhat limited but let me know if I can help in any way.

Cheers !!!

Default Any updates on the open source firmware?

I know we are all eagerly waiting on this. Is there anything you need us to do to help out? Do you have an ETA?

I am at the point where I don't care if it's a one way change as the Patriot support is non-existent, so if its open source, that's good enough for me.

Honestly, it works. You can install it via a serial connection and the procedure outlined here. The file you need is attached to this post.

But, its incomplete. It doesnt automatically setup the network yet, and there is no easy method of installation. I am attempting to get my hands on a new JTAG cable compatible with ARM platforms so i can dump the Flash. I am more and more convinced this is how the 'update' files are made.

This is something I am doing in my spare time, and I am a bit frazzled at the moment with some work stuff. I also lost the OS drive on my Main PC, and need to rearrange my network to reduce clutter and configure a workspace to get back onto hacking this thing. Once I get re-situated and scrounge up some spare time, I WILL make this happen.

I am so damn close I can taste it.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.

Default Nice work

Just wanted to say, great work. I know we are all hanging out to see if you can get an easy way to install it, perhaps through the firmware updates?

I will just keep looking at the valkyrie and hoping. Shout out if you need help.

You seem to be well into development so this is probably not helpful, but I've been using an alternative firmware for another NAS that I've found to be exceptionally good. Seems like it would be a good fit for the Valkyrie.
    http://code.google.com/p/alt-f/
    Last edited by tekNick; 03-19-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Any news?

I have fixed the initial configuration issues, as well as first boot behavior. the web interface is now included by default, and gives a rough starting point. Several important items still need to be fixed, but its getting there.

Easy firmware installation continues to elude me at this point. Due to severe weather where I live, work is currently on hold as we replace the roof, clean up trees, and repair tornado damage.