Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Open Source Firmware for the Valkyrie

Quote Originally Posted by BadIntentions View Post
    I have fixed the initial configuration issues, as well as first boot behavior. the web interface is now included by default, and gives a rough starting point. Several important items still need to be fixed, but its getting there.

Easy firmware installation continues to elude me at this point. Due to severe weather where I live, work is currently on hold as we replace the roof, clean up trees, and repair tornado damage.
    Thanks for the update BadIntentions. Sorry to hear about mother nature bad temper.

Default how to communicate over serial to valkyrie nas

@BadIntentions

i have just ordered a CA-42 USB Data Cable For Nokia as per your instructions on the serial thread you posted a while ago i was wondering if you get the time if you could give a few more details on how to actually use the CA-42 usb cable to talk to the serial port on the valkyrie. the main info i would like to know is what wires on the adapter go to witch pads on the valkyrie and the commands and software you would use to access the serial port from a windows pc or ubuntu if that is better for you. thank you very much for your help and time and i look forward to watching your open source firmware grow into a great alliterative to the stock one provided by patriet

Default @BadIntentions

i will also be happy to make a walkthrough once i have the required information for other people that may be interested in doing this exploit so thanks again

With all credet going to BadIntentions

Quote Originally Posted by Louddeafmute View Post
    @BadIntentions

i have just ordered a CA-42 USB Data Cable For Nokia as per your instructions on the serial thread you posted a while ago i was wondering if you get the time if you could give a few more details on how to actually use the CA-42 usb cable to talk to the serial port on the valkyrie. the main info i would like to know is what wires on the adapter go to witch pads on the valkyrie and the commands and software you would use to access the serial port from a windows pc or ubuntu if that is better for you. thank you very much for your help and time and i look forward to watching your open source firmware grow into a great alliterative to the stock one provided by patriet
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Pr--HeJbtGU/TL...ialConsole.png

There are a few variations of the CA-42 cable. Its just a TTL/RS232 converter, but some require 3.3V to work. Kinda sucks. The wires are different for every type of CA-42. You will have to test/probe to find out. If there are only three wires, its hard to get into trouble. If there are 4, then you will need to spend a fair amount of time finding which one is +3.3V. I cheated and used a pinout diagram of the pop port connector. FBUS TX and RX are your rx/tx pins. http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nok...p_pinout.shtml
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

Default @BadIntentions

thanks for the info mate it is looking like 2 weeks or so till the CA-42 cable arrives and i can get to work but i will post any and all results i come up with for now i am just doing some digging around in the telnet with admin and see if i cant come up with something thanks again

thanks for the info mate it is looking like 2 weeks or so till the CA-42 cable arrives and i can get to work but i will post any and all results i come up with for now i am just doing some digging around in the telnet with admin and see if i cant come up with something thanks again
    You can do better than admin. You can do root.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...-your-Valkyrie.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.

Default @BadIntentions

lol thats what i meant to say yeah i have root privileges

i am getting impatient on waiting for my ca-42 cable and thinking of trying to use my Arduino microcontroller to interface with the serial port on the valkyrie nas i donít know how this will go but i will post if i have any success

Default @BadIntentions

i have made my self a little adapter to access the serial port on the valkyrie nas using my arduino but to be honest i am not that into the electronic side of things so it would be a real help if you or someone else could point out the spots i need to attach to 3.3v and a good ground i got the tx and the rx from your diagram and i got my self a handy guide to use my arduino as a serial adapter. i plan on using putty to communicate over the serial adapter. if you think this is not a good program to use or you have any other recommendations i would appreciate your advice thanks again for any and all help.

i have made my self a little adapter to access the serial port on the valkyrie nas using my arduino but to be honest i am not that into the electronic side of things so it would be a real help if you or someone else could point out the spots i need to attach to 3.3v and a good ground i got the tx and the rx from your diagram and i got my self a handy guide to use my arduino as a serial adapter. i plan on using putty to communicate over the serial adapter. if you think this is not a good program to use or you have any other recommendations i would appreciate your advice thanks again for any and all help.
    you do not need to attach 3.3v if the arduino adapter doesnt need it to run. the pictures i quoted above show little red arrows on where to attach the RX and TX. For ground, you can use any common ground area on the board. I have connected to the USB port's shell (outside metal housing) in a pinch, which shouldnt cause any issues for your use.

The bitrate of the valkyrie is 11500 with 8 bits and no parity