Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Open Source Firmware for the Valkyrie

I'm just getting into learning about embedded systems, but I was able to successfully pull a file system out of the valkyrie's latest firmware image. I don't suppose an update would be as simple as subbing a new one back into the firmware.

When this is done will we be able to update firmware through origional patriot web page?

Sick of this box, nothing streams on PS3. Linux is very limited, no package manager!

Thanks

We need to know more about the structure of the firmware files. Was the file system compressed? What format is it in(suspect JFFS or similar)? where was it located? Anything you can tell me about the process or tools will be a big help....
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by BadIntentions View Post
    We need to know more about the structure of the firmware files. Was the file system compressed? What format is it in(suspect JFFS or similar)? where was it located? Anything you can tell me about the process or tools will be a big help....
    All four firmwares seem to have the same layout.
    There is a uImage header at 0xA0000
    an uncompressed unencrypted squashfs file system at 0x2A0000 which I was able to pull out with
    dd if=V01R01.bin bs=1 skip=2752512 of=V01R01.squashfs
    I then extracted it with unsquashfs V01R01.squashfs
    There seem to be two compressed linux ROM partitions at 0xFD88F8 and 0xFD8EC0, but I haven't been able to figure out what's in them.

Like I said, I'm just getting into this stuff, but if there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by tekNick View Post
    All four firmwares seem to have the same layout.
    There is a uImage header at 0xA0000
    an uncompressed unencrypted squashfs file system at 0x2A0000 which I was able to pull out with
    dd if=V01R01.bin bs=1 skip=2752512 of=V01R01.squashfs
    I then extracted it with unsquashfs V01R01.squashfs
    There seem to be two compressed linux ROM partitions at 0xFD88F8 and 0xFD8EC0, but I haven't been able to figure out what's in them.

Like I said, I'm just getting into this stuff, but if there is anything else I can do to help, let me know.
    That is awesome worked great with V01R04.bin as well. Now if I could only add a /opt to the directory structure repack the data back as squashfs and manage to patch the firmware back with this data I will be happy with that for now. At least this would allow us to install some optware once we have a mounting point for /opt. Goodbye python bittorent hello transmission .... I do believe there is a arm compatible version of transmission.

Thanks again tekNick.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    That is awesome worked great with V01R04.bin as well. Now if I could only add a /opt to the directory structure repack the data back as squashfs and manage to patch the firmware back with this data I will be happy with that for now. At least this would allow us to install some optware once we have a mounting point for /opt. Goodbye python bittorent hello transmission .... I do believe there is a arm compatible version of transmission.
    I'm willing to bet that repacking the data won't be that easy. There must be, at the very least, a checksum somewhere to verify firmware images. And I'm not sure I'd be comfortable flashing with new firmware without a reliable and easy way to fix it if it doesn't boot.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post

Thanks again tekNick.
    If you want to add stuff, thats as easy as can be. Just copy it to the HDDs. I even built a modified version of my rooting download that installed a new binary for busybox, allowing you to call it and have more modern tools.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.

If you want to add stuff, thats as easy as can be. Just copy it to the HDDs. I even built a modified version of my rooting download that installed a new binary for busybox, allowing you to call it and have more modern tools.
    Yeah I know you can do that I posted a thread about adding the new binary for busybox in this forum but optware (ipk packages) requires/expect a /opt directory for installation. Do you know of a good repository of executable ARM architecture software that works on the Valkyrie ?????

Cheers !!!

Actually, if you just want an OPT folder in root.

mkdir /opt

then plug a USB stick in, unmount it, then mount /opt /dev/whereverusbstickis

just sayin

You could also create a logical link from /opt to /conf, which IS stored on the HDD.

Actually, if you just want an OPT folder in root.

mkdir /opt

then plug a USB stick in, unmount it, then mount /opt /dev/whereverusbstickis

just sayin

You could also create a logical link from /opt to /conf, which IS stored on the HDD.
    I really wish things were as easy as that; unfortunately the valkyrie firmware is squashfs which is read-only. Even the mount -o remount,rw / as no effect on these filesystem. Since I can not create /opt then I can not overmount it somewhere else like my HDD or USB Devices. That's the reason I was talking about adding the /opt to the extracted firmware and then repacking with the added /opt so that I can overmount it somewhere like my HDD.

Cheers !!