Thread: partiot convoy 425XL

Cool partiot convoy 425XL

hi team and users !

i use at the moment the "Patriot Convoy 425XL" raid bay
    with two 500GB Seagte Momentus XT (a 500GB hdd with 4GB ssd cache) in raid10 MODE
    under opensuse linux 11.2 .

my question:

does the sata bay use only one of these cache (4GB) or multiply it to one 8GB cache.

and is there a plan to upgrade the firmware that you can use the full cache of the two HDD´s
    as one single configured cache? means : 2x4GB=8GB or 4x4GB=16GB cache
    for faster and bether performance!

greetz pirat_labs

Quote Originally Posted by pirat_labs View Post
    hi team and users !

i use at the moment the "Patriot Convoy 425XL" raid bay
    with two 500GB Seagte Momentus XT (a 500GB hdd with 4GB ssd cache) in raid10 MODE
    under opensuse linux 11.2 .

my question:

does the sata bay use only one of these cache (4GB) or multiply it to one 8GB cache.

and is there a plan to upgrade the firmware that you can use the full cache of the two HDD´s
    as one single configured cache? means : 2x4GB=8GB or 4x4GB=16GB cache
    for faster and bether performance!

greetz pirat_labs

The ConvoyXL/JMB393 wasn't tested in a controlled environment with hybrid drives, as best as I can tell. Seagate support explicitly states they do not support them in a RAID configuration. While it doesn't say on their website, send an email to their support dept and see what happens... At least that was the case back in October 2010 when I contacted them. That said, since the drives manage their own cache, the Convoy 425XL shouldn't have to (and, in fact, cannot) do anything to make use of the full cache of the drives. The large flash cache is invisible to the ConvoyXL.

Just an aside, there have been reports of APM (advanced power management) causing stuttering and other issues when using the Momentus XTs in raid.
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.