Thread: ConVoy 425s Limiting factor?

Default ConVoy 425s Limiting factor?

Just purchased the 425s the other day and it works just fine except the LED just stays blue all the time. have not tried it with a failed Drive to se if the light changes. "well I dont have a failed drive yet so i can't test"

My Setup:
    SAS array controller card 3gb/s
    4x300g sas Drives @ 3gb/s configured as Raid 5 and booting to it.

Question regarding performance.
    will the 425s limit speed to 3 gb/s if i decided to upgrade down the line to an Array controller that will do 6gb/s and sas Drives that are capable of 6gb/s?

thanks
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by erigar View Post
    Just purchased the 425s the other day and it works just fine except the LED just stays blue all the time. have not tried it with a failed Drive to se if the light changes. "well I dont have a failed drive yet so i can't test"

My Setup:
    SAS array controller card 3gb/s
    4x300g sas Drives @ 3gb/s configured as Raid 5 and booting to it.

Question regarding performance.
    will the 425s limit speed to 3 gb/s if i decided to upgrade down the line to an Array controller that will do 6gb/s and sas Drives that are capable of 6gb/s?

thanks
    Eric
    Hey Eric,

You're good! Solid blue means the drive is in normal working order.

Regardless of the drive speed, the Convoy425 is a complete passthrough system (unlike onboard raid) and performance should not be compromised in any way.

cool...

so the spec on the box and online should not include the 3gb/s notation..
    it should state it is a passthough.

When i purchase it this was one of the decision making for me as im unsure if it is a passthough and reading the spec at the back stating transfer rates up to 3Gbps.

maybe at the time this product came out 6gb/s controller and drives dint exist.

anyways
    thanks for a quick reply..

I have performed some casual tests on the 425 (NON XL) with SATA 6Gb/s and it does not appear to affect the performance of the SATA link. That said, I have not tested it with a retail production 6Gb/s drive, nor have I slapped it on my lab bench and done controlled tests... the 6Gb/s standard was not yet drafted when the 425 series was released.
    I AM NOT A PATRIOT MEMORY EMPLOYEE.

But they have, on occasion, bribed me with hardware.

I am happy to help, but don't PM me. Post a thread in the appropriate forum so others may benefit and offer assistance.
    Your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part.